Gordie Howe passes away

nossagog

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/06/10/gordie-howe-dies-according-to-numerous-reports/

Beyond shocked this isnt on NHL.com  ---- usually this stuff hits early on sport sites...

Horrible, certainly one person I would have given anything to meet. :( RIP Gordie, your legend and classy act will always live on.

(This month has been poop for legends....)

oh wow....  What a very sad day for hockey.  Truly a legend and an icon.  He will be missed.  My condolences to all the Red Wing fans here and around the world.

The most legendary name in NHL history. Saw him play only once, with Mark and Marty in 1979 when the Whalers came to the Spectrum.

He looked bad a few years ago at Mark's jersey retirement, he's been battling for a long time.

RIP Mr Hockey

Truly a loss for both hockey and especially the Red Wings organization. Still visited the locker room even after he was really able to, and what a presence he was. Certainly an inspiration to countless hockey players around the world.

Sad day.

41 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

CkmE4UfXIAAfmM4.jpg

Great Pic ! I like pictures that show how a person lived their life, not the shell that they become when beaten down by Old Man Time. Gordie Howe was the most important reason that the game has been advanced to where it is today. EVERY player in the NHL owes him a debt of gratitude for his life long service to the sport he dearly loved.

Gordie finally met an opponent he could not solve with his elbows.....father time.

Imagine getting hit by this beast of a man?

R.I.P Gordie, condolences to Wings fans, many of which I know will miss him and always honour his memory. Very proud that Windsor and Detroit decided to name our new bridge/span the Gordie Howe International Bridge....that is so very cool, that millions of people will travel that and have a chance to stop, pause and reflect upon his greatness.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-30-at-4.43.26-PM-603

23 time all star. Six time scoring champ. 4 time cup winner. First Ali, now Gordie. Sad week.

My favorite Gordie story was told by Mark Howe in the book about the WHA when the three Howe's played together with the Houston Aeros, Mark overheard Gordie giving advice to, I believe, John Tonnelli, he told him, "You dont have to fight every game, just pick two or three games a year that you know are televised and the whole league will be watching and pick out some small guy and beat the Hell out of him.   Just pulverize him. The rest of the league will give you a couple of steps for a month or two that way." Mark laughed in the book, he said his Dad would have been suspended a lot in the modern game.

Condolences to the family.

Thanks SKiFit

They talked Howe almost all day today on the Toronto sports radio stations. Gretz was interviewed and told some of those stories. There are few athletes that are as great as those two are/were not only at their sport but also in life. Not surprising they became good friends.

R.I.P Mr. Hockey. One of the all-time greats, maybe the all-time greatest, who played at such a dominant level for decades. An imposing, tough as nails, super-talented player who got the most out of everything he had on the ice every shift. Only Jagr has come close to having that kind of effectiveness over such a long period of time in his career. A greatly talented player in every way and tremendously feared on the ice, but a totally classy gentleman and tremendous ambassador of the game of hockey off the ice. One of the few players who you can honestly say changed the game. Condolences to the Howe family.

Amazingly enough, we still have 2/3rds of the vaunted Production Line alive and kicking. Gordie was the youngest at 88. "Terrible" Ted Lindsay is next in age at 90....and Sid Abel is the elder statesmen, who is 92 and believed to be in decent health right now. Gordie got a lot of the press, but any hockey historian knows, both Ted and Sid were GREAT players in their own right.

Quite the impressive sweater collection at the Joe Louis Arena rafters. Must be older, cause Nicklaus Lidstrom is conspicuously missing. Gotta love how awesome some of the Big Six were at collecting pure superstars.

Red_Wings_retired_Banners.jpg

Archived