Flyers Identitiy

icehole

On 3/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, ruxpin said:

In other news, in a class of 100, 60 people graduate.

But of the 10 people who had blue notebooks, 6 people graduated.  So you, too, should have a blue notebook or you're missing out on better odds of graduating.

What if my blue notebook has all the answers highlighted in it? Do my chances increase.

I still dont get it

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoachX said:

What if my blue notebook has all the answers highlighted in it? Do my chances increase.

I still dont get it

You're just screwing with me now, right?  If so, well done. Much respect for that.  If not...good lord.

lol....totally screwing with you.

When I went back and read my post I realized I didnt type what I meant. rather than admitting I was wrong, which I will never do, I just decided to tap dance.

On 3/12/2017 at 6:15 PM, ruxpin said:

In other news, in a class of 100, 60 people graduate.

But of the 10 people who had blue notebooks, 6 people graduated.  So you, too, should have a blue notebook or you're missing out on better odds of graduating.

So that is what is wrong with Giroux he has a damn red notebook...

....why that dirty rascal....Hakstol you summabitch!!!!

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

lol....totally screwing with you.

When I went back and read my post I realized I didnt type what I meant. rather than admitting I was wrong, which I will never do, I just decided to tap dance.

Well done, sir.  Hat's off to you! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2017 at 0:02 PM, Poulin20 said:

While I share your frustration I don't think that is what the Flyers have become yet.  I could see that happening in the future the further removed we are from Ed Snider's death but for now I don't think that the corporate desire to make money has driven the failures of this team.  Ed, Clarkie, Homer, and Hexy were/are wildly competitive and want(ed) nothing more than to win.  They overpaid for players routinely and spent up to the cap.  The issue in my mind is that in their zeal to win was their downfall as they made big, foolish, and impulsive moves that didn't work, this continued into the salary cap era which hurt them even more.  Now we are finally trying to be practical and operate within the system set up by the NHL but we are way behind other teams and it is going to take a while to clean up this mess.  We all hate to see the state of the team right now and are frustrated but unfortunately this mess was many years in the making and is going to take years to fix.  Although Hexy has made some mistakes along the way in the short term I am willing to give him a chance in the long term to build something sustainable that we can all enjoy. (fingers crossed anyway). :flyers:

An interesting read about Dave Scott and his role in overseeing decisions made by Hextall and Holmgren.  

"My job is to make sure we're going for the Cup and we're going for the win," he said. "Make sure that everybody has the resources that are needed to succeed."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Philadelphia_Flyers_Dave_Scott_mentored_by_Ed_Snider.html

On 5/11/2017 at 7:22 AM, hf101 said:

An interesting read about Dave Scott and his role in overseeing decisions made by Hextall and Holmgren.  

"My job is to make sure we're going for the Cup and we're going for the win," he said. "Make sure that everybody has the resources that are needed to succeed."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Philadelphia_Flyers_Dave_Scott_mentored_by_Ed_Snider.html

Sounds like Comcast is content with things enough to just let the Flyers be the Flyers.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Sounds like Comcast is content with things enough to just let the Flyers be the Flyers.

Best thing to do is to ride it out and see where this gets them.

Are they unsure?

Yes who wouldn't be but all you have to do for sure reassurance is check out the farm system just building talented prospects that have never been seen by this organization.

Will it work?

Still can't say.

It still is like a chess match at this point you can start to see the plan and where it's leading but still one mistep or miscalculation and it could derail it.

If they are smart they give the people they have chosen what they need to continue the quest for the holy grail.

Time will tell if they have chosen well.

Stick to the plan.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Best thing to do is to ride it out and see where this gets them.

Are they unsure?

Yes who wouldn't be but all you have to do for sure reassurance is check out the farm system just building talented prospects that have never been seen by this organization.

Will it work?

Still can't say.

It still is like a chess match at this point you can start to see the plan and where it's leading but still one mistep or miscalculation and it could derail it.

If they are smart they give the people they have chosen what they need to continue the quest for the holy grail.

Time will tell if they have chosen well.

Stick to the plan.

I think the long and short of it is that the Flyers have a long long way to go before they are unprofitable, and that's the point at which Comcast would begin to give a rip about hockey operations.

They're going to have a blast marketing this #2 pick and they're going to sell some Jerseys and tickets and that will be a plus. 

This isn't Pittsburgh.  If we were as weak kneed as some fan bases Bettman would have stepped in to help out this franchise a long time ago, just the way he did with the Penguins and Oilers.   Philly makes the league and comcast a lot of money even when we're bad, plain and simple.

34 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They're going to have a blast marketing this #2 pick and they're going to sell some Jerseys and tickets and that will be a plus. 

Great. Just what the 18 year old kid needs...I just hope they don't make him out to be the 'messiah" of the franchise. He should be a good piece...just not THE piece. 

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Great. Just what the 18 year old kid needs...I just hope they don't make him out to be the 'messiah" of the franchise. He should be a good piece...just not THE piece. 

Oh I don't expect that.  I just think you'll see some posters and Jerseys here and there and they'll key in on him on TV and analysis.  

On 5/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, flyercanuck said:

Only a matter of time before they trade him to Edmonton for Griffin Reinhart...

:ph34r:

On 5/12/2017 at 0:23 PM, flyercanuck said:

I don't think they'll make him out to be the 'messiah', but there's nothing wrong with a little pressure on the 2nd overall choice. It comes with the territory and they have to know that. I'm just worried that whoever they select, he's going to get the kid glove treatment and they're going to really limit his time because they want to 'play it safe' and err on the side of caution. The second overall choice should be getting top six minutes and not stashed away. Let him play, let him make mistakes and let him learn from the mistakes.

I hope we follow in the Nashville's footsteps and get a great goalie and mobile offense in place.  Then #2 will have less pressure and a better foundation to build on.  Meanwhile, let's get the expletive deleted Expansion out of the way and get some clarity on any shenanigans on picks, trades, or whatever.  Maybe Read, Raffl, and VDV or whomever get picked or dealt and #2 can come of age with some high potential players.  That would be really exciting...watching a group of youngins come of age together.

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think they'll make him out to be the 'messiah', but there's nothing wrong with a little pressure on the 2nd overall choice. It comes with the territory and they have to know that. I'm just worried that whoever they select, he's going to get the kid glove treatment and they're going to really limit his time because they want to 'play it safe' and err on the side of caution. The second overall choice should be getting top six minutes and not stashed away. Let him play, let him make mistakes and let him learn from the mistakes.

It depends on who the 2nd overall is.

I'm not 100% sure Heschier stays in the NHL. (or Patrick for that matter, though I'm more sold on him being ready) And if he does, starting him out on the 3rd line, and even on wing, wouldn't be the worst thing for him. If he looks fine, move him to centre. If thats going well, move him up to your top 6.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:41 PM, Howie58 said:

I hope we follow in the Nashville's footsteps and get a great goalie and mobile offense in place.  Then #2 will have less pressure and a better foundation to build on.  Meanwhile, let's get the expletive deleted Expansion out of the way and get some clarity on any shenanigans on picks, trades, or whatever.  Maybe Read, Raffl, and VDV or whomever get picked or dealt and #2 can come of age with some high potential players.  That would be really exciting...watching a group of youngins come of age together.

VDV is most likely done as a Flyer.  Maybe they sign him to a 2 way deal, but with Laughton, Cousins and now Vecchione around, (granted if not Neuwirth, one of Laughton or Cousins will probably go to Vegas, by my gut still says Neuwirth) the 4th line promises to look very different this year.  Imagine if Read and Raffl were the wingers on the 4th?  That's a legit and very competitive line.  They still won't score a lot of goals, not with PEB in tow and stone Hands Raffl on board, but they'll be able to play more minutes against tougher match ups, giving more rest and easier assignments to the top 3 lines like a 4th line ideally does.  

After next year, Read will be a memory.  

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

VDV is most likely done as a Flyer.  Maybe they sign him to a 2 way deal,

Dear god no. Hak won't be able to help himself.

Were it me, I'd protect Laughton with the last forward spot, as he has the most upside out of the remaining eligible forwards.

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I give a 50/50 chance of Raffl being taken.  He is versatile and doesn't make mistakes.  The cap hit is reasonable.  

If left unprotected, I'd think he'd be the odds-on favorite to be taken. He can play anywhere in the lineup, drives play, and does all of the little things you want to see. I honestly think they're losing either Laughton or Raffl, depending on who they protect. In my mind, those are the only two choices the Flyers have for the seventh forward spot.

AJ:

I agree with your assessment.  Putting myself in management's shoes, I guess the question is short-term versus long-term payoff and the extent to which the team's management wants to see a cohort of youngsters growing together.  Raffl is like an affordable insurance policy.  Laughton may be a future 3rd/4th liner who brings grit and defense to the table.  If I had to put money on it, Laughton stays and Raffl goes.  I might add that part of the equation might also be giving Raffl the opportunity to show his stuff on a new team.  I have never questioned his work ethic or hockey IQ.  Maybe the brass pays him respect by allowing him to walk.  The other possibility is that he is wink/wink trading that gets uncovered in a few weeks.  

5 hours ago, AJgoal said:

If left unprotected, I'd think he'd be the odds-on favorite to be taken. He can play anywhere in the lineup, drives play, and does all of the little things you want to see. I honestly think they're losing either Laughton or Raffl, depending on who they protect. In my mind, those are the only two choices the Flyers have for the seventh forward spot.

Myself i protect Laughton. I know some are down on him. I get it. But he has only played 105 AHL up to this point and he will be 23 later this month and i'm just not ready to give up on him. I think he would be further along in his development if he had been left in the AHL to play a big role like he had this past season. Sorry but Read and Raffl are the guys i expose along with Weise.

I protect Laughton as well. He has the most upside out of all of the remaining forwards. I'm just not sure the Flyers see it the same way. I certainly hope they do.

Archived