Who is the veteran defenseman that the Flyers will trade for?

RonJeremy

27 minutes ago, King Knut said:

See, I don't think this helps because if you ask any Flyers poster and they're likely to say how awful and boneheaded Jake is, when in reality he's easily top 10 at his position in the league and tons of teams would love to have him.

Think about Couturier two years ago... most people here would have been thrilled to trade him for just about anything "just a decent 3C" .

Sometimes a team's fans aren't objective enough to judge a guy.  

Not saying Gardiner's amazing and worth bank, just that sometimes fans focus on the negatives more than the positives.  

Good point about fans...but I'm not a Leaf fan and I want no part of Gardiner. I was also never in the "trade Couturier" group.

Again, if we needed help, offensively, from the back end I could see it. But we really don't. We need help, defensively, back there. And he ain't it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Personality of the coach doesn't mean jack if the team is winning and the room is united. Many successful coaches have purposely made themselves the common enemy to get the players to gel.

Sure.  And it can totally backfire and cause players to unite and essentially quit on or tune out the coach.  In today's world, I think that approach is less effective or at least wears out fairly quickly.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Ironic thing is, Stevens has the reputation of being a player's coach.  

Fair point.  I was more focused on Stevens and Sutter being more defensive/structure oriented, as opposed to Laviolette who is more offense oriented.

Seems like you can be the task master and get some results sometimes (Q, Sutter) but then again you can end up with Hitchcock who even though he won a cup once just wasn't great at getting his guys to play for him and really needed that kind of leadership to come from the bench.

I think you can be a task master and not a dick at the same time.  Q has the rep of being demanding, but I think his players generally like him (from what I recall hearing/reading).  Not sure that's the case with Sutter or Hitch.  That said, I do think you can have some success as a task master.  The question is how long, especially with today's players.

Frankly, I don't know what kind of coach Hakstol is in this regard.  He doesn't seem like a player's kinda guy... but he doesn't seem like a real task master either.  

Same.  Would love some insight into that dynamic.

I think that's what guys like Babcock and Laviolette possess.  

Laviolette, yes.  Babcock, not sure.  It seems like Babcock is a bit of a dick.  Another guy I wonder about is Torts.  He's very demanding, but it seems like he has OK relationships with players.

No one's Herb Brooks I guess... Herb Brooks was only Herb Brooks the one time (though he did some ok things with Mediocre NHL teams too... just not the big thing). 

I think coaches of his ilk are long gone.

Yeah, you hear dickish things about Babcock, but I feel like they've tended to be from players or staff members AFTER they won the cups.  Not during.  He seems to get results out of talented players.  A coach like Laviolette might turn mediocre into a winner, Babcock seemed to be able to make talented players into winners. 

5 minutes ago, vis said:

Laviolette, yes.  Babcock, not sure.  It seems like Babcock is a bit of a dick.  Another guy I wonder about is Torts.  He's very demanding, but it seems like he has OK relationships with players.

4 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Why would Tampa trade anyone right now? They are the best team in the league...besides Buffalo, of course.:ph34r: In addition, I think there's better options out there for the Flyers right now, if they choose to make a move for a d-man.

You guys are funny I will give you that.  I do not think Buffalo is any more a bad team.  At least I hope they pick up the pace again starting vs the Kings. If there is one guy Tampa would want to trade maybe it would be Girardi?  But I would not want him now.

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You guys are funny I will give you that.  I do not think Buffalo is any more a bad team.  At least I hope they pick up the pace again starting vs the Kings. If there is one guy Tampa would want to trade maybe it would be Girardi?  But I would not want him now.

Honestly, some of the razzing is probably jealousy lol.

Yes, Buffalo is a very good team on the rise. But their leaders are also young, and they’ll have their ups and downs as they figure it out. 

Actually, Doughty on Buffalo would be awesome. I’m sure it would cost Ristolainen+. 

12 hours ago, brelic said:

Honestly, some of the razzing is probably jealousy lol.

Yes, Buffalo is a very good team on the rise. But their leaders are also young, and they’ll have their ups and downs as they figure it out. 

Actually, Doughty on Buffalo would be awesome. I’m sure it would cost Ristolainen+. 

I would not give up Ristolainen for anyone. And that includes Dahlin

On 12/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, FD19372 said:

Why would Tampa trade anyone right now? They are the best team in the league...besides Buffalo, of course.:ph34r: In addition, I think there's better options out there for the Flyers right now, if they choose to make a move for a d-man.

But the Flyers have a hard time passing on old, used-up sacks!  I'm sure it would have been tempting under the old regime.  Clarke and Holmgren are probably right now deliberating between a NTC and a NMC.  

Has anyone said Oliver Eckmann-Larsson ?

He used to be pretty good, I think 

I saw someone here say his play has fallen off...could be a change of scenery help him?

It would probably still cost a lot of assets to make that happen. 

His game used to be a nice all around player,  he was their captain, might be a good person to add provided the hole ripped in the lineup to bring him here doesn't gut the team.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I saw someone here say his play has fallen off...could be a change of scenery help him?

His game used to be a nice all around player,  he was their captain, might be a good person to add provided the hole ripped in the lineup to bring him here doesn't gut the team.

I would prefer him over Pieterangelo.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Its time for gutting. If you can find any guts.

Why trade for one now though? There may be better offerings in the off season. It's going to be hard to pry away any decent dman from teams who are playoff bound, and the asking price will be far higher. In the off season, some of that may open up, especially if we end up with a draft in the top five or what have you. I'm not saying I'd want to trade away that high of a pick, but it opens up some options if nothing else.

Also, why in the hell was Hart brought up to play in this hot mess? I swear sometimes...

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Why trade for one now though? There may be better offerings in the off season. It's going to be hard to pry away any decent dman from teams who are playoff bound, and the asking price will be far higher. In the off season, some of that may open up, especially if we end up with a draft in the top five or what have you. I'm not saying I'd want to trade away that high of a pick, but it opens up some options if nothing else.

Also, why in the hell was Hart brought up to play in this hot mess? I swear sometimes...

Might not nothing go down with Gordon taking over till the new head coach is announced.

Might as well see what Gordon can do before doing anything drastic.

No need to panic this season is shot barring a miracle....

14 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Would be a great haul and the Kings kind of owe them for Richards and Carter.  But it will cost

First of all, Philly didn't trade Carter to the Kings. We traded him to Columbus for what amounted to Sean Couturier and Jake Voracek and a 3rd. I'll do that trade over all day long. 

Philly DID trade Mike Richards to LA...for Wayne Simmonds (who's been great for us and may be dealt )  and 6 years of Brayden Schenn (who was then dealt for the 1st round picks that got us Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee ) and a 2nd. I'd do that one all over again as well.

Try using the internet...it can make you look like you know what you're talking about. Works for me...sometimes.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Try using the internet.

Easy for you to say, sitting behind your fancy desk, typing away on your fancy PC with 72' screen! Try running the internet on a PC that runs on halibut fat from the confines of your 1992 Lumina with the wonky transmission tough guy!

Archived