Flyers add more depth with trade for Derek Grant

LegionOfDoom

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2020/2/24/21150891/philadelphia-flyers-trade-derek-grant-depth-center-deadline-news

The Flyers are trading for all of the depth forwards!

By Ryan Gilbert@RGilbertSOP  Feb 24, 2020, 11:56am EST

NHL: FEB 06 Ducks at CanadiensPhoto by David Kirouac/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Chuck Fletcher is making some moves on the morning of trade deadline day. The Philadelphia Flyers made another trade for a depth forward on Monday morning.

The Flyers reportedly acquired center Derek Grant from the Anaheim Ducks for a fourth-round pick and AHLer Kyle Criscuolo.

Grant, like Nate Thompson, is a bottom-six center that gives the Flyers more options moving forward.

Grant has 14 goals (three shorthanded) and six assists for 20 points in 49 games this season.

The 29-year-old center is also solid in the faceoff dot, winning 51.4% of his draws this season and 52.5% in his career. Grant has primarily been used in a defensive for the Ducks with just 21% of his shifts starting in the offensive zone.

He is a great penalty killer. Not only does he have those three shorthanded goals, his shot attempts against per 60 minutes of 77.76 is the sixth best in the league among forwards with 100+ penalty killing minutes. The Flyers already have the second- and third-best in that category in Sean Couturier (24.25 CA/60) and Kevin Hayes (74.47 CA/60).

Grant will assumably slot in on the fourth line for the Flyers. He and Thompson will likely compete with the other players in the bottom six, giving the Flyers two more options to rotate into the lineup.

Grant carries a $700,000 cap hit and is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Edited by LegionOfDoom

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not sure I get why you'd trade for both....both UFAs. 

Maybe they want to see Hayes with more PP time and need someone that can pick up his PK time. His numbers would seem to say he will be a good fit there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Only thing i can think of is these two offer more toughness. That i something we need, but this is not how i would have obtained it

They'll be active in free agency in the summer. sign Toffoli, Ghost for Kapanen if Ghost continues to struggle here (he HAS the talent, so he would be a tradeable commodity, although you argue he's not want Toronto needs). maybe a Gaudreau trade.

Edited by FD19372

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Isn't that like tied for 3rd on our team?!....;)

14 goals does not seem like bottom 6 material? or does it?

I like this trade too.

They are adding to the bottom 6 and beefing up the center position for minimal cost and they have options at the end of the year to be flexible.

They are showing they trust and think they have enough firepower in the top 6 to compete with these teams.

Are they wrong or right time will tell.

But it feels like they are setting up for if this top 6 fails again you will see some big moves this offseason.

I'm down with it.

Not resting on if Patrick can or can't go.

And I like they didn't blow up the current roster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like this trade too.

They are adding to the bottom 6 and beefing up the center position for minimal cost and they have options at the end of the year to be flexible.

They are showing they trust and think they have enough firepower in the top 6 to compete with these teams.

Are they wrong or right time will tell.

But it feels like they are setting up for if this top 6 fails again you will see some big moves this offseason.

I'm down with it.

Not resting on if Patrick can or can't go.

And I like they didn't blow up the current roster.

Wondering if these moves indicate he can't.

Looking at our current bottom six, though, where are the two pickups going?   Grant can play the left.,   But I'm wondering who they're intending on sitting.   Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Maybe they want to see Hayes with more PP time and need someone that can pick up his PK time. His numbers would seem to say he will be a good fit there.

I like Hayes on the pk and it's as valuable as pp time if you're good at it. Maybe to take Girouxs pk time away?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Wondering if these moves indicate he can't.

Looking at our current bottom six, though, where are the two pickups going?   Grant can play the left.,   But I'm wondering who they're intending on sitting.   Thoughts?

They are replacing Bunnaman and Farabee who were sent to the Phantoms.

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Wash....rinse...repeat....play lots of golf

Not fast they can use these guys...

He is a great penalty killer. Not only does he have those three shorthanded goals, his shot attempts against per 60 minutes of 77.76 is the sixth best in the league among forwards with 100+ penalty killing minutes. The Flyers already have the second- and third-best in that category in Sean Couturier (24.25 CA/60) and Kevin Hayes (74.47 CA/60).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

After reading all the POVs being dished out here, I have tapped the brakes a bit. Seeing Bunnaman and Frabbe going down to add experience and toughness sounds smart

Well done boys

Who has hijacked your account?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These guys I hear are great depth insurance players who are vets. Now if there are any injuries we can bring up Bunny and Joel up and Frost as oppose to having really no one to bring up if injuries happen in a seven game series. Look how Hayes turned out as Nolan Patrick has not even been in one game all year. Had Fletch not made that move, where would we be at.

In regards to face-offs, in the playoffs that could be the difference of advancing or loosing a winnable series.

These players I hear play tough playoff hockey.

The GM is giving the coach tools and setting him up for success, not for completly changing the dynamic of the team.

They put Farabee and Bunny to get more ice time and improve their confidence/game in the AHL knowing they can bring them up in case of injuries and give the vets on the top six more depth to assist in rolling four lines with known quantities.

These are stealth solid moves that have a higher upside to succeed in a playoff environment.

• Like 2

FWIW I've always liked Nate Thompson.

I've just always noticed him when he's on the ice even in limited minutes. Plays the game the right way. And hard to play against. And I'm okay with having the best faceoff team in the NHL. What's not to like about starting with the puck all the time?  

Grant I know less about but he seems to have a scoring touch, which never hurts in a depth guy come playoff time.

I look for these moves to make Sean Couturier even more effective.

He's our best player at the moment, I would like to see him on the ice for the full 60 but know that is unrealistic.

By bringing in two guys for draws and PK duties means less grinding minutes for 14, and to a lesser extent 28,  I think that will mean he and his line have the puck more at even strength and that is a good thing.

I like that the two dudes coming in play the hard, heavy game, can they skate ?  Bunnaman and Farabee  skate, and it's a skating league if these new dudes can skate, what's not to like ?

I also like that nothing of real consequence was given up to give the team more experience.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Isn't that like tied for 3rd on our team?!....;)

14 goals does not seem like bottom 6 material? or does it?

I'll be honest.  I'm not terribly concerned about losing Bunny.  I think Farabee needs to be back throughout the remainder.  He's important.

But this guy is a good add for what ails the Flyers.  He's an extremely strong Penalty killer and thus will spell Giroux and or Coots from their PK time leaving them more fresh for 5V5 (at which they are already monsters) and PP time.

For him to have 14 goals with only 23%offensive zone starts is a bit remarkable.  His Corsi's trash, but the Ducks are horrible and he's literally at 23% Ozone starts which makes it a bit challenging to get legit shot attempts.

This is a good add.  As long as he and Thompson don't bump NAK.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I look for these moves to make Sean Couturier even more effective.

He's our best player at the moment, I would like to see him on the ice for the full 60 but know that is unrealistic.

By bringing in two guys for draws and PK duties means less grinding minutes for 14, and to a lesser extent 28,  I think that will mean he and his line have the puck more at even strength and that is a good thing.

I like that the two dudes coming in play the hard, heavy game, can they skate ?  Bunnaman and Farabee  skate, and it's a skating league if these new dudes can skate, what's not to like ?

I also like that nothing of real consequence was given up to give the team more experience.

It'll leave them stronger for the Even strength minutes and allow for more of those minutes to be against top lines.

Adding these two also all but ensures that G will stay on the wing.

G and Coots and Jake have been a force for driving play since being put together.  This only makes them better.

• Like 2