Who would have won the Stanley Cup?

yave1964

I know the NHL is saying all the right things about returning at some point this year but assuming they dont, who would have won the cup? To me, it came down to the following:

WEST

The weaker conference, only a few teams really IMHO would qualify as cup contenders, they are: Vegas, Colorado, or St. Louis. Now someone else could conceivably come out of the West, someone like Edmonton or Dallas but they dont have enough to get past the Eastern conference which is loaded.

IMHO Western Conference Champ, losing in the finals would have been the Avalanche. Explosive team would have destroyed the West until the Eastern conference champ exposed their goaltending.

EAST

Penguins, Capitals, Flyers, Bruins, Lightning are in no particular order the five best teams not only in the East but in all of Hockey. Teams like Carolina and possibly Toronto stack up well against the West but wouldnt have made it past these five elite teams.

After looking it over, I have Tampa winning the East and therefor winning it all. 

Anyone else?

36 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I know the NHL is saying all the right things about returning at some point this year but assuming they dont, who would have won the cup? To me, it came down to the following:

WEST

The weaker conference, only a few teams really IMHO would qualify as cup contenders, they are: Vegas, Colorado, or St. Louis. Now someone else could conceivably come out of the West, someone like Edmonton or Dallas but they dont have enough to get past the Eastern conference which is loaded.

IMHO Western Conference Champ, losing in the finals would have been the Avalanche. Explosive team would have destroyed the West until the Eastern conference champ exposed their goaltending.

EAST

Penguins, Capitals, Flyers, Bruins, Lightning are in no particular order the five best teams not only in the East but in all of Hockey. Teams like Carolina and possibly Toronto stack up well against the West but wouldnt have made it past these five elite teams.

After looking it over, I have Tampa winning the East and therefor winning it all. 

Anyone else?

Flyers could be a winner , because is able to surprise us.

• Like 1

Alright, see, you people are just being unrealistic.

Everyone knows, especially those diehards in West New York, that the Buffalo Sabres would have come ROARING back, sneak into the playoffs as the 2nd Wild Card, run the table, and meet St. Louis in the Finals where the Blues take a 5-4 Game 7 in double OT to edge Buffalo in a series for the ages....    :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

You're dreaming Flyers take the Cup only in the 1970's if they are lucky! Lol

Yeah, if only they had done the smart thing and suck forever so they could get the best player in a generation.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

@yave1964

Ok ... so I will play the game....(using the standing as of today regardless of total games played)

image.png.5ec3d35d8a16210656f0ef6f18bbd627.png

image.png.0bfffcec6a4d5bd6d347af5c3901e1ca.png

Round #1:

Boston vs. Columbus 

Washington vs. Carolina

Tampa Bay vs. Toronto

Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh 

Boston clear favorite and should have do problems with Columbus....HOWEVER we all know what Columbus did do Tampa last year.  I just can't see lighting striking twice (pun not intended). (BOSTON)

Carolina is fiesty and upset the Caps last year.  Could it happen again?  Caps have recent struggles in net.... (CAROLINA in an upset again)

Tampa looking to avenge last year and takes it out on Toronto. (TAMPA)

Flyers fans happy to have their team back in the playoffs and playing some of the best hockey in the league. (FLYERS over their rivals)

St. Louis vs. Nashville

Vegas vs. Winnipeg

Colorado vs. Dallas

Edmonton vs. Calgary

St.Louis should dispose of Nashville, however Sarros has been lights out recently...(In an upset NASHVILLE)

Vegas and Winnipeg is a toss up....gonna go WINNIPEG

Avs vs. Stars...depsite their injuries I still like the Avs. (COLORADO)

Oilers vs Flames .....I don't trust the Flames goaltending.  I love Draisaitl who is having an MVP type year. (EDMONTON)

Round #2

Boston vs. Tampa

Philadelphia vs. Carolina

I like the Flyers matchup and will go with our boys in O&B (FLYERS)

Boston and Tampa  ....wow..should be a hell of a series.....goes 7 games gonna take TAMPA

Edmonton vs Winnipeg

Colorado vs. Nashville

Oilers vs Jets ......I believe would go 7 games.  Hellboy slightly better...I will pick WINNIPEG

Avs vs. Preds ..... How far could Sarros take the Preds?  Not far enough .... COLORADO

CONFERENCE FINALS:

Tampa Bay vs. Flyers ------ Sorry Tampa in 7

Colorado vs. Winnipeg ------ Winnipeg in  7

STANLEY CUP FINALS:

Tampa vs Winnipeg ---- Tampa makes up for last year and takes the Jets in 7

STANLEY CUP WINNER -----> TAMPA BAY

It was a fun exercise .....who knows how it would really turn out ..... I did try to predict 1 or 2 upsets which does occur almost every year....

I definitely think that this year the stronger teams are from the Eastern Conference.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Since it's not going to happen, I'll say Toronto would have won. This would have been the season the underdog Leafs defied expectation and logic to end their Stanley Cup drought. Consider that the Leafs were JUST getting all their injured players back. 

First, they would have squeezed by an injured Tampa team. Then they would have got revenge on Boston in round two. In round three they would have bumped into the Capitals (another old rival sort of) and this time Toronto would have pulled through. 

In the final, they would have run into the Avalanche, but since Toronto would have been the team of destiny at that point, Toronto would have won it all. 

47 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

It was a fun exercise .....who knows how it would really turn out ..... I did try to predict 1 or 2 upsets which does occur almost every year....

I could run it through my hockey simulator.  :) 

(Yes, I actually designed my own.)  #Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!

:scratcheshead:

• Like 2

The homer in me says boston...

The feeling in me is also boston, only because they are having an insane season as far as win/loss, and stats, and seem to be driven by the loss in game # 7 last year...

Would not have mattered who came out of the west....

That said, it irks me to have such a solid season lost, even if it were to be started again, and or jumped right into playoff action, the mojo could be gone...

• Like 1

Other factors to consider:

• Since Boston won the President's trophy, they're almost assured of NOT winning the Cup.
  • Since the most likely match-up ON PAPER would be Boston vs Colorado/St.Louis we're almost assured of that NOT happening.
  • I think it's safe to say that certain teams who were recently "running hot" (Philly, Boston, St. Louis, etc.) would cool off and probably enter the playoffs ice cold.
  • Teams that weren't impressive recently (Toronto, Pittsburgh, etc.) would suddenly get hot and impress.

:) 

9 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

That said, it irks me to have such a solid season lost, even if it were to be started again, and or jumped right into playoff action, the mojo could be gone...

Agreed. Not only mojo gone but would people rush back to be in large crowds of people right away?

The NHL can push the pause button for now, but players will need training camps again when play resumes. They won't be able to just flip a switch and go back to 100%. So if it's paused for the rest of March and comes back in April, the NHL is still going to run practices for a few weeks to get players ready. That puts us into mid-April. They won't have time to finish the regular season by then. There's a month's worth of games to be played. They would be forced to go directly into the playoffs because they won't compromise on rounds or series length. 

Then it's a question of how long before fans feel safe coming back?  The teams might be playing in mostly empty arenas (with no toilet paper) ;) because people stay away out of fear.   

Why couldn't this happen during any one of the DOZENS of LOSING seasons the Leafs or Oilers have had?  Why now?   :( 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

Boston. I thought it would be Tampa, but without Stamkos or a HEALTHY Stamkos, I don't think they would beat the Bruins. The Flyers will win the Cup next season, if the apocalypse doesn't occur before then.:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Holymakinaw said:

To those who said "Flyers"........LOL.  

No chance in hell.

Boston would have been my bet.

History shows that you can have the President's trophy or you can have the Stanley Cup, but you can't have both.  

The Bruins would have gone in as the favourites to win it all and would have been wiped out in the first two rounds. 

On 3/13/2020 at 1:46 PM, pilldoc said:

@yave1964

Ok ... so I will play the game....(using the standing as of today regardless of total games played)

image.png.5ec3d35d8a16210656f0ef6f18bbd627.png

image.png.0bfffcec6a4d5bd6d347af5c3901e1ca.png

Round #1:

Boston vs. Columbus 

Washington vs. Carolina

Tampa Bay vs. Toronto

Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh 

Boston clear favorite and should have do problems with Columbus....HOWEVER we all know what Columbus did do Tampa last year.  I just can't see lighting striking twice (pun not intended). (BOSTON)

Carolina is fiesty and upset the Caps last year.  Could it happen again?  Caps have recent struggles in net.... (CAROLINA in an upset again)

Tampa looking to avenge last year and takes it out on Toronto. (TAMPA)

Flyers fans happy to have their team back in the playoffs and playing some of the best hockey in the league. (FLYERS over their rivals)

St. Louis vs. Nashville

Vegas vs. Winnipeg

Colorado vs. Dallas

Edmonton vs. Calgary

St.Louis should dispose of Nashville, however Sarros has been lights out recently...(In an upset NASHVILLE)

Vegas and Winnipeg is a toss up....gonna go WINNIPEG

Avs vs. Stars...depsite their injuries I still like the Avs. (COLORADO)

Oilers vs Flames .....I don't trust the Flames goaltending.  I love Draisaitl who is having an MVP type year. (EDMONTON)

Round #2

Boston vs. Tampa

Philadelphia vs. Carolina

I like the Flyers matchup and will go with our boys in O&B (FLYERS)

Boston and Tampa  ....wow..should be a hell of a series.....goes 7 games gonna take TAMPA

Edmonton vs Winnipeg

Colorado vs. Nashville

Oilers vs Jets ......I believe would go 7 games.  Hellboy slightly better...I will pick WINNIPEG

Avs vs. Preds ..... How far could Sarros take the Preds?  Not far enough .... COLORADO

CONFERENCE FINALS:

Tampa Bay vs. Flyers ------ Sorry Tampa in 7

Colorado vs. Winnipeg ------ Winnipeg in  7

STANLEY CUP FINALS:

Tampa vs Winnipeg ---- Tampa makes up for last year and takes the Jets in 7

STANLEY CUP WINNER -----> TAMPA BAY

I definitely think that this year the stronger teams are from the Eastern Conference.....

You know, your version of playoff events actually sounds like it would be VERY exciting!

Sure, it DOES help you get my vote that you have the Lightning winning it all....and if that sounds homerish to some, well, I don't care. :bigteeth:

I could certainly go for this alternate reality!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, yave1964 said:

I know the NHL is saying all the right things about returning at some point this year but assuming they dont, who would have won the cup?

The Flyers.

Four straight sweeps to hoist the Stanley Cup.

If only the stupid virus wouldn't have derailed it.

How can we throw snowballs with D batteries in them at a virus?

I'll hang up and listen...

• Like 1