Referee Tim Peel, fired. Thoughts?

FD19372

I feel like it was justified. You never should be so naive, and really just plain stupid enough as an NHL employee i.e. ref, that you want to call a penalty on ANY team. I don't care if it was done jokingly, or in jest. Tim Peel is a moron.

https://www.nhl.com/news/referee-tim-peel-no-longer-working-nhl-games/c-322856334

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I feel like it was justified. You never should be so naive, and really just plain stupid enough as an NHL employee i.e. ref, that you want to call a penalty on ANY team. I don't care if it was done jokingly, or in jest. Tim Peel is a moron.

https://www.nhl.com/news/referee-tim-peel-no-longer-working-nhl-games/c-322856334

So what did he say??

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So what did he say??

He said "it wasn't much, but I wanted to get a f--in penalty against Nashville early in the game."

Here you go...another linkhttps://www.yahoo.com/sports/referee-caught-on-live-mic-wanting-to-assign-make-up-penalty-vs-predators-024632571.html

Edited by FD19372

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

He said "it wasn't much, but I wanted to get a f--in penalty against Nashville early in the game."

Here you go...another linkhttps://www.yahoo.com/sports/referee-caught-on-live-mic-wanting-to-assign-make-up-penalty-vs-predators-024632571.html

Yeah i seen after i asked.

I mean he said what we all knew happens. That won't stop it from happening though.

But whatever makes the NHL feel better....i didn't like him...so he can go f**k himself.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Man, do I hate refs. I wonder why.

To paraphrase something that Earl Weaver used to say about umpires, and transfers to refs so well, they're "here to f**k us".

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Peel has a rep for questionable calls, always has. He was due to retire at years end anyway, no big loss as an official.

The thing is, the hot mic simply caught what has always occured at pretty much every level. I didnt see anything particularly abhorant with what he said, I didnt see anything that should shock anyone. He just got too close to a hot mic.

Well we all know this had to be addressed due to all the gambling that is tied to sports.

That alone was one of the key reasons this was addressed this way last thing anyone needs is a bunch of allegations of the refs helping sway the outcome of games for all these bookies.

Sports and this type stuff has been eluded too for decades now let the sleeping dog lye i guess it what they want and they want everyone to move on nothing to see here. I get it. I don't bet on sports.

But i do not want refs having an influence on games and we see that every day. And i would venture you won't see it end especially when you have more than one ref.

I have friends who ref and one i just off the phone with said it happens they are human and when calls are missed he would do it to help a fiend with a bad call because well they would do it for him too.

But they were doing it to even things up not so much to have an outcome on the game.

Not trying to justify it but to acknowledge it happens.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

All I gotta say is, for THIS particular forum board, it is a good thing this was caught saying something about calling Nashville for a penalty.

Had this happened during a Flyers game, with the current state of the team, I think Chernobyl would have looked like just a mild boil over compared to the meltdown many posters would have had here hearing Peel caught saying something like, "Man those Flyer guys....just looking for something, anything...gonna call something onnem because I hate'm....cmon Flyboys, just even LOOK at me cross eyed, eh?" :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure we'd have been just as pissed if he said it about the team we were playing too.

If we don't get another power play ALL YEAR it'll be too soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Peel has a rep for questionable calls, always has. He was due to retire at years end anyway, no big loss as an official.

The thing is, the hot mic simply caught what has always occured at pretty much every level. I didnt see anything particularly abhorant with what he said, I didnt see anything that should shock anyone. He just got too close to a hot mic.

Not only that but this speaks to the allegation of "game management" that has been made for decades and discussed by former NHL officials. Basically, "game management" is the NHL's way of making the game entertaining. They do it through the refs. What gets called a penalty, when, against who, etc... depends on what period we're in and depends on what the score is. 

• Like 3

Exactly, refs can hace an impact on the game, and they all know it, and while most of them call it fair, you know that some refs have biased to some teams/players etc...and even fan reaction can also sway a call...

We all know make up calls/questionable calls happen, and the crime here is not that he did it, but got caught saying he did it...

• Like 1