Realizing while watching Cale Makar tonight..

Brett

7 hours ago, Brett said:

..that selecting Nolan Patrick with the #2 pick in 2017 was a franchise-altering mistake.

That is all.

Remember that time you guys took Connor Bleakley 2 picks before David Pasternak? Good times huh? We can play this game with every single team in sports.

That is all.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Remember that time you guys took Connor Bleakley 2 picks before David Pasternak? Good times huh? We can play this game with every single team in sports.

That is all.

Worked out great for me :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brett said:

..that selecting Nolan Patrick with the #2 pick in 2017 was a franchise-altering mistake.

That is all.

It took you that long to jump on that bandwagon.....

Throw away your sandwich, it's old too, momma made you a new one in the lunch cooler just in case the first one got old.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brett said:

That is all.   (Promise?)

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brett said:

That is all.

i wanted patrick too but i didnt know he was going to be this bad, it's so difficult what the draft is going to give us. but it's not the end of the world, we can still get talent, if fletch can somehow fleece some teams to get 3 top talent players and a defenseman next to provy and hopefully hart will bounce back, this team will be a contender again.

25 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i wanted patrick too but i didnt know he was going to be this bad, it's so difficult what the draft is going to give us. but it's not the end of the world, we can still get talent, if fletch can somehow fleece some teams to get 3 top talent players and a defenseman next to provy and hopefully hart will bounce back, this team will be a contender again.

After watching Fletcher ruin the wild, I hope for no moves from him. 

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

44 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

After watching Fletcher ruin the wild, I hope for no moves from him. 

Did he?

Parise and Suter were mandated by the owner, and he did trade Brent Burns, so he isn't faultless.

A lot of his and the Natcha Boy's picks are developing into a fast and heavy team.

Eriksson-Ek looks like a guy to build around.

If you're hoping for no moves from him, you must not be a fan of the Flyers because they need some help, standing pat and hoping isn't going to cut it. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, albertaflyer said:

Just think. Flyers scouts wanted Hextall to take Makar not Patrick.

post a link or it never happened.

For real, I keep seeing this, but have seen zero articles, so if you know of one I'd appreciate reading it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

For real, I keep seeing this, but have seen zero articles, so if you know of one I'd appreciate reading it. 

Meltzer mentioned it a while ago. As have other beat writers. Usually stuff leaks out to them eventually. I remember hearing it on one of the podcasts as well.  I'm to lazy to go searching for it.

• Like 1

Well Makar looks like he could have been the #1 overall at this point.

94 points in 101 regular season games.

28 points in 30 playoff games.

That is a hell of a start for a 22 year old.

And a right hand shot was exactly what the Flyers needed and well still need.

• Like 1

@albertaflyer

You can see how this falls into the "many people are saying" category for me though, right?

I believe that you heard this from a source you deem credible.

There are two urban legend style stories around the drafting of Patrick, one is there was concern about his injuries and whether it was the same injury that was misdiagnosed or a different core/upper body injury than the shoulder that shortened his season.

The other is this, Flyers scouts wanted either Heiskanen or Makar but Hextall steam rolled them because of his ties to Brandon.

I have seen zero articles where there is an actual story reporting about either.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Makar looks like he could have been the #1 overall at this point.

94 points in 101 regular season games.

28 points in 30 playoff games.

That is a hell of a start for a 22 year old.

And a right hand shot was exactly what the Flyers needed and well still need.

Yes, he's really fun to watch too.

Really good hockey player.

• Like 1

Sure Colorado's scouts are looking very smart now, but the reality is changing so fast. In the playoffs last year, Makar, while being a constant offensive threat, was defensively struggling. When the Stars won in 7 against them, Stars fans were praising the front office for taking Heiskanen instead and now it's the other way around.

Depends also a lot on the system/coach/team you play with. I have the feeling Makar is in an optimal situation, both for him, his skills and the team he plays for. The fit is currently perfect. Not sure if he'd be the same player in a more defensive system where he would be somehow bent and framed, like the Stars under Bowness...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

I can honestly say that I didn't want any part of Nolan Patrick. I wanted the Flyers to take Cody Glass. I get that he's misused in Las Vegas right now, but if I could, I'd see if Vegas would swap Glass for Patrick. I really think Glass would be a great fit in Philadelphia. 

Anyways, I see the Flyers are drafting 13th this year. Craig Button thinks that the pick will be Zachary L'Heureux from Halifax. I think it's Chaz Lucius, especially with the Flyers love for Team USA and the USNTDP. But, they've also got ties to Halifax as L'Heureux plays alongside Flyers pick Elliot Desnoyers. 

I've also seen the names Fyodor Svechkov and Cole Sillinger attached to the Flyers. Anyways, no clue what Schmuck Felcher and the Nature Boy Brent Flahr have in store for the draft or if they're even going to keep the pick. I'd be on the watch out for that, especially when Columbus is probably looking to sell Jones as he won't commit to Columbus. 

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I can honestly say that I didn't want any part of Nolan Patrick. I wanted the Flyers to take Cody Glass. I get that he's misused in Las Vegas right now, but if I could, I'd see if Vegas would swap Glass for Patrick. I really think Glass would be a great fit in Philadelphia. 

Anyways, I see the Flyers are drafting 13th this year. Craig Button thinks that the pick will be Zachary L'Heureux from Halifax. I think it's Chaz Lucius, especially with the Flyers love for Team USA and the USNTDP  Fletchers love for anything and everything Minnesota . But, they've also got ties to Halifax as L'Heureux plays alongside Flyers pick Elliot Desnoyers. 

I've also seen the names Fyodor Svechkov and Cole Sillinger attached to the Flyers. Anyways, no clue what Schmuck Felcher and the Nature Boy Brent Flahr have in store for the draft or if they're even going to keep the pick. I'd be on the watch out for that, especially when Columbus is probably looking to sell Jones as he won't commit to Columbus. 

FIFY

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Caufield lighting it up for Montreal reminds me once again of Flyers' management who always thinks they're smarter than everyone else.  York might be a decent NHL player, but this organization has needed a marque talent for a generation now.  They missed out on the next Patty Kane.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:54 AM, mojo1917 said:

I did see an article by Sam Carchidi, I’m getting older and in my Joe Biden like state I can’t remember where. It stated that the scouts wanted Makar or Heiskenen but Hextall didn’t listen

33 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Watching Caufield lighting it up for Montreal reminds me once again of Flyers' management who always thinks they're smarter than everyone else.  York might be a decent NHL player, but this organization has needed a marque talent for a generation now.  They missed out on the next Patty Kane.

caufield would be nice but you are not looking at the whole picture, montreal was already a good team before caufield got there, they are a big and physical team that's why they are hanging with vegas. caufield on a small team like the flyers wouldnt make him better.

it's not about one player either

28 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

caufield on a small team like the flyers wouldnt make him better.

Yes i would rather have the big power forward they signed who tied it and then won it for them.

Josh Anderson....a key signing by Bergevin....the same guy the Blue Jackets lost William Karlsson to Vegas by chosing to protect him instead. 6-4 225 winger.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i would rather have the big power forward they signed who tied it and then won it for them.

Josh Anderson....a key signing by Bergevin....the same guy the Blue Jackets lost William Karlsson to Vegas by chosing to protect him instead. 6-4 225 winger.

it's not like caufield has been the only player scoring goals throughout the playoffs, it's team sport every one has been stepping up. the fact you have to be physically built to win in the playoffs.