Ristolainen to Flyers

5 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Ristolainen The Dayman Cometh.......

Gotta Pay the Troll Toll....

No doubt about the Troll Toll, but just to make it clear, it won't be me. I've said it before, and will say it again: it's a high risk trade Fletcher made by acquiring Ristolainen.

• Like 3

Ya Fletch and other GM's coveted Reesko'

and Fletch got to the booth and landed him.

Right now I think he has the Sun Pass and should go through all the Tolls. But he's got a heavy load and better hit all his stops. If he delivers @ 80% of expected performance, Risk-Reward will work.

13 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Ya Fletch and other GM's coveted Reesko'

and Fletch got to the booth and landed him.

Right now I think he has the Sun Pass and should go through all the Tolls. But he's got a heavy load and better hit all his stops. If he delivers @ 80% of expected performance, Risk-Reward will work.

I only know about a third of what this post means lol

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 11:32 PM, radoran said:

He's a consistent 40 point defenceman. The point stats are the. The analytics are not.

He has a chance to turn everythinf around.

If he does it - and re-signs - he can be a real fan favorite.

I sure hope Son of Ming works out.

Fortune Cookie — Flash Gordon (1980) Max von Sydow as Ming the...

Otherwise it makes me nervous to think about resigning after all they have given up for him.

Like the Andrew Macdonald fiasco. If he isn't working out i hope they can flip him for something of value i ain't mad at Chuckles for trying.....that is IF he moves on.

If it's a well we gave up X,Y and Z to get him, maybe it is best for our invest to give him want he wants things....... i will be upset.

But from the things i have seen of him of his game from compared to what i have been forced to watch he is going to have to do some stupid ass f**k stuff see Jake Voracek see Mcdud for him to not like him.

I am excited to unwrap this gift. Please for the love of baby swaddled Jesus let this work.

🙏

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I stumbled on an old piece that delves into the Risto problems quite well. You all should read it. Fletcher clearly doesn't believe in analytics but the results now speak for themselves. This trade isn't the only cause of our woes, but it's a factor. 

Re-signing him would be a huge mistake on top of a mistake. 

https://infernalaccess.substack.com/p/the-new-jersey-devils-should-not

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

This thread is hilarious if sad: a bunch of drunks doing everything in their power not to look at the pile of puke in their lap.

Yet we have no problem reading the puke you spew out...weird

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Fletcher clearly doesn't believe in analytics but the results now speak for themselves. This trade isn't the only cause of our woes, but it's a factor. 

Re-signing him would be a huge mistake on top of a mistake. 

The first part of this statement does not align with his recent actions. 

He just hired a new person to lead an analytics department and added staff. 

Breaking Down the Flyers' Mid-season Press Conference with Dave Scott and Chuck Fletcher - Crossing Broad

Ristolianen has been "fine". 

He has been better than I was expecting based upon the howls coming from this forum and writers who rely heavily upon analytics to inform their opinions on players. 

He and Sanhiem have been the team's best pairing this season. 

I let the statement stand on its own because, that is a big part of the team's problem.

The trade in and of itself is not the reason why the Flyers are terrible. 

The team should absolutely not back up the Wells Fargo coach to pay him, if he and his agent want 5.5 + .aav for any kind of term he should be traded. 

There are worse players playing his role. If he can be signed for reasonable money it should be considered. 

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Ristolianen has been "fine". 

He has been better than I was expecting based upon the howls coming from this forum and writers who rely heavily upon analytics to inform their opinions on players. 

A lot of the howls came as a result of what Chuckie paid for him. I've never been a big fan of him because Buffalo drafted him 8th (I believe) overall and he has a poor IQ when it comes to hockey. Fletcher gave up what you would expect an elite #1 defenceman would bring in a trade, and what we got was, well, more mediocrity.

If he was willing to give up a 14th overall pick, 2-2nds, a 7th, Ghost and Hagg to acquire a guy that wasn't even worth the 14th overall pick IMO...what's he willing to pay the guy to keep him after giving all that up? Either way he looks like an idiot. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

A lot of the howls came as a result of what Chuckie paid for him. I've never been a big fan of him because Buffalo drafted him 8th (I believe) overall and he has a poor IQ when it comes to hockey. Fletcher gave up what you would expect an elite #1 defenceman would bring in a trade, and what we got was, well, more mediocrity.

If he was willing to give up a 14th overall pick, 2-2nds, a 7th, Ghost and Hagg to acquire a guy that wasn't even worth the 14th overall pick IMO...what's he willing to pay the guy to keep him after giving all that up? Either way he looks like an idiot. 

Ristolainen is Coburn 2.0 and I want a fan of the first rendition of Coburn. Here's the thing with Ass-to-Mouth Stinktolainen - this was a move made for Vigneault just as much as Schmuck and Nature Boy had man love for him. I'm sure with the new stats person being onboard, they'll make a sound train as to why Stinktolainen should be moved. This also reminds me of when the 'Tard used to defend Andrew Macdonald, even though his advanced numbers were awful. Remember the quote "we see him everyday and he does things that an NHL defenseman does. He's more than just advanced stats." Seems to be the same with Ristolainen. They're going to double down and defend the move. Honestly, looking at things now, the Flyers might have been better off making a trade for Dumba instead. 

Okay, change it to Fletcher clearly DIDN'T believe in analytics when he traded for Risto. 

the point is Risto was brought in as part of a solution to a problem but he's actually part of the problem. He does not make a team better. Do not be fooled because he hits people now and again. If that's all it took they should have just re-upped Gudas. 

Risto should be deadline dealt to gain asset(s). His playoff performance will likely help sink that team and his price will come further down. Then bring him back if you want to or not if there's a better option. 

Signing him long term now would just be a GM trying to save face. Probably happen, but dumb. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

Okay, change it to Fletcher clearly DIDN'T believe in analytics when he traded for Risto. 

the point is Risto was brought in as part of a solution to a problem but he's actually part of the problem. He does not make a team better. Do not be fooled because he hits people now and again. If that's all it took they should have just re-upped Gudas. 

How about this,  analytics are tool that can be used to help determine a player's effectiveness and therefore value, they are not the holy grail nor final word on a player's ability.  

How many guys with good xG aren't breaking 45 points? More than a couple of outliers. They don't tell a players full story. 

I'm not fooled. Also, I am not hating on a player that has been useful on a dreadful team.

As a second pairing player he is fine.

He was not worth all the things used to acquire him, yet he is not the problem, he's barely a problem.

There are plenty of dudes deserving criticism on this team, he doesn't even breach my top 10. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

How about this,  analytics are tool that can be used to help determine a player's effectiveness and therefore value, they are not the holy grail nor final word on a player's ability.  

How many guys with good xG aren't breaking 45 points? More than a couple of outliers. They don't tell a players full story. 

I'm not fooled. Also, I am not hating on a player that has been useful on a dreadful team.

As a second pairing player he is fine.

He was not worth all the things used to acquire him, yet he is not the problem, he's barely a problem.

There are plenty of dudes deserving criticism on this team, he doesn't even breach my top 10. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not an analytics geek. I'm sort of a 1/3 1/3 1/3 guy. 1/3 analytics, 1/3 eye test from direct scouting, 1/3 character background personality and such. You put all 3 of those lists together and when they overlap that's your guy.

The analytics on Risto however cannot be ignored. They are glaringly consistent, and they are consistently BAD. 

He also seems dumb as a post. 

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

From this post to God's eyes.

I don't care what they in return I just don't want a 6 year 48 million type deal.

Cut bait move on...

:BrownBag:

I guess the best we can hope for in trading Risto is a second round pick. If there is a playoff team that fears being pushed around in the playoffs and is severely lacking a hitter on defense ,maybe we can get a first or two seconds. Let’s hope a playoff contender loses a top 4 dman  down the stretch and is forced to overpay. 

• Like 1

My preference would be dealing.  If not, per earlier post--a three-year deal at 4 million.  While on a much smaller scale/scope, CF got rid of Gustafson. He may understand the score here.  Risto is a mixed blessing.  I would view his re-up as a comment on the scope of rebuild needed.  In so many words, it's not that Risto is so good, it's that he fills a hole.  Retool, Rebuild, Re-whatever, this team needs wholesale adjustment.  That doesn't mean he is good, it's that he is one less box to check. 

In context,  I think the bigger defensive "problem" may be Ellis.  Maybe CF knows something we don't--is this dude on LTIR for next year and beyond?  Seriously, that would not surprise me.  Keeping Risto around may make more sense if that's the case.  

• Good Post 1