Mike Yeo NOT returning as Head Coach for Flyers / Who do you want?

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers luck Bedard would pull an Eric Lundros and say he refuses to play in Philly for insert various different reasons...

And they STILL wouldn't fire him.

• Uggh... 1

37 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You want the 1st overall pick? Let Fletcher coach.

Since the Flyers now operate the hockey team as entertainment and not sports because the team sucks ,they have come up with  different alternatives to sell tickets. They have all sorts of gimmicks like gritty, the ice girls and some buffoon pounding a drum and yelling let’s go flyers…From a corporate marketing point of view , they will hire Rick Tocchet.  Just think of the slogans …old time Flyer returns, hard nosed,no nonsense style to revive the Broad St Bullies , etc. Tocchet will sell more tickets than any other coach we can hire, it’s all about ticket sales.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Tocchet will sell more tickets than any other coach we can hire, it’s all about ticket sales.

Not so sure about that.  Yes.  The team's propaganda department will love a Tocchet hire.  They'll have him winning 3 Cups before he even coaches a preseason game.  And you're right.  Many in this city will probably buy into that propaganda and purchase tickets.  But, those ticket sales aren't an issue with Comcast.  The ticket sales they care about(the Luxury Box and Club Box tickets purchased by corporations) are all they care about.  And, those are sold even if they make Lappy the head coach.  Ticket sales just aren't an issue.  And their TV ratings are even less of an issue than ticket sales are.  It's the unfortunate reality in having Comcast as the owner of this team.

• Like 1

Why do I get the distinct feeling that the same thing is going to happen with this coach search that happened when AV got hired.  Trots will get hired by another team and Fletcher will come out and say “We didn’t even talk to him” just like when Quenneville got hired by Florida.

EDIT:  italicized my edit

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Why do I get the distinct feeling that the same thing is going to happen with this coach search that happened when AV got hired.  Trots will get hired by another team and Fletcher will come out and say “We didn’t even talk to him”.

Or maybe Trotz refused to answer the phone for Fletch. :ph34r: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Goon said:

If they don't rebuild and do things the right way it won't matter who the next coach is.

Welcome-

In the past 7 years the Flyers have tried to build through the draft during Hextall's tenure. 

Then they brought n Chuck Fletcher to, I don't know, not drive the bus off the cliff?  care take that process.

Chuck has had some bad luck to say the least, but also made some stupid moves that didn't alleviate the problems either. Hayes contract and 5+ x 5 for Ristolainen ties his hands pretty well with the salary cap.

Are you in favor of what? Dumping all the vets starting fresh?

Trying to compete and peel off bad contracts and hoping some draft picks reach their ceilings?

What do you think the right way to build is?

Honestly I have myriad and disparate thoughts and go back and forth.

A coach could set the tone and direction for how the team will play, and which players are needed to play that way. 

I would start first with setting a direction for the team/organization. We're going to play fast and contest every inch of ice and fight for every puck. Some corporate ******** like that. 

It doesn't seem like there's been a commitment to creating an identity for the team this century.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, CoachX said:

Seriously,  let laperriere be HC for a season

I would not be against that at all. He would bring accountability back to the team. His work ethic as a player was legendary. I wouldn’t want him running the pp but as the guy running the overall ship you could do a lot worse. I would still want Trotz as the first choice due mainly to his experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I would not be against that at all. He would bring accountability back to the team. His work ethic as a player was legendary. I wouldn’t want him running the pp but as the guy running the overall ship you could do a lot worse. I would still want Trotz as the first choice due mainly to his experience.

Huh?  Lmao...

Sorry, but he couldn't even coach the PK, which he was actually VERY good at as a player.  He certainly can't coach a PP.  And he couldn't even "bring accountability" to an AHL roster.  Why would he be able to do that to an NHL roster that he couldn't even be a competent assistant coach for?  His work ethic as a player clearly hasn't helped his ability to be an assistant at the NHL level or a head coach at even the AHL level.

As said before, if they want to truly tank for Bedard, then hire Lappy.  Because, the season could be a LOT worse than this last season with Yeo.  But, if they truly want to bring the accountability back and hire a head coach that has the competence for this front office to stay out of the way and let the coach do his job, then Lappy shouldn't even be considered for one second.  In fact, he should be removed from the coaching duties in this organization altogether.

Edited by FireDillabaugh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Huh?  Lmao...

Sorry, but he couldn't even coach the PK, which he was actually VERY good at as a player.  He certainly can't coach a PP.  And he couldn't even "bring accountability" to an AHL roster.  Why would he be able to do that to an NHL roster that he couldn't even be a competent assistant coach for?  His work ethic as a player clearly hasn't helped his ability to be an assistant at the NHL level or a head coach at even the AHL level.

As said before, if they want to truly tank for Bedard, then hire Lappy.  Because, the season could be a LOT worse than this last season with Yeo.  But, if they truly want to bring the accountability back and hire a head coach that has the competence for this front office to stay out of the way and let the coach do his job, then Lappy shouldn't even be considered for one second.  In fact, he should be removed from the coaching duties in this organization altogether.

I don’t understand how his work ethic as a player would be a bad thing. You have to change the current culture of the team which has not been worth a damn since Lappy left as a player. He was also dealing with the inmates who were running the asylum. You are going to be hard pressed to get Trotz here when you have no current plan in place to improve this team. I would love Trotz to be here but realistically unless they give him total control it ain’t happening.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

You are going to be hard pressed to get Trotz here when you have no current plan in place to improve this team.

the plan is to put HIM in place

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

the plan is to put HIM in place

Now let me preface this with I DGAF but Trotz and Hayes, Risto as well as JVR will not jive.

So if anything maybe it would expedite their departure.

So it could be a good thing.

But I can't see them wanting to pony up the money to sign him while they are still paying AV.

Plus why would Trotz want to come to this hot mess.

I could see Trotz headed to Vegas...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I don’t understand how his work ethic as a player would be a bad thing. You have to change the current culture of the team which has not been worth a damn since Lappy left as a player.

Clearly, you didn't see any Lehigh games this season or even pay attention to the pathetic season they had.  He's not capable of coaching an AHL team, let alone an NHL team.  And, he shouldn't even be considered as a possible choice.  Loved the guy as a player.  He absolutely sucks as a coach.

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Clearly, you didn't see any Lehigh games this season or even pay attention to the pathetic season they had.  He's not capable of coaching an AHL team, let alone an NHL team.  And, he shouldn't even be considered as a possible choice.  Loved the guy as a player.  He absolutely sucks as a coach.

True statement. Spend most of my time in Florida and have barely followed the Flyers this season much less the Phantoms. I thought Sammuellson was the Phantom Coach.

Trotz would be fantastic because he brings structure and accountability. That was the problem with Vigneault. There was no structure to his system.  It was dump and char, get back to play defense and dump and chase when you have possession of the puck again. It's simply not sustainable for long term success. And then Vigneault had a tendency to throw young players under the bus. You can't do that when they make mistakes. That's the only way they learn. That's why a guy like Frost was always playing tentative. 

Now, I'm not saying Trotz is a great deceleration of young forwards because he's not. His forte is defensemen and our young guys (Provorov, Sanheim, York, Zamula, Attard, Andrae, etc....) would benefit greatly from Trotz. Trotz might be the single guy to get Provorov back on track and that would be HUGE for this franchise. 

The other thing with Trotz is that Mitch Korn would be coming along with him and that can only mean brighter things ahead for Hart and Fedotov. 

Honestly, if Schmuck Felcher is smart (and even though he's an Ivy League grad, there's some serious question marks there), he's telling Trotz not to worry about playoffs the first year and to come in and establish culture, roles and responsibilities. Get the base/foundation set for what is expected and then go from there. 

• Good Post 1

The fact that they didn't start interviews the day after they announced Yeo wouldn't be back is concerning. The fact that they still haven't started interviews is a joke. This franchise really has no plan whatsoever.

''Philadelphia is getting closer to starting its interviews. They know how critical this hire is for them, determined to leave no stone unturned in finding the right person. What’s been on their minds is a coach with a strong track record, demands accountability from players, gets buy-in right away, and makes teams harder to play against.

Read More: Trotz a ‘Top Candidate’ for Flyers, Interviews to Start Soon | https://973espn.com/trotz-a-top-candidate-for-flyers-interviews-to-start-soon/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral''

23 minutes ago, Goon said:

The fact that they didn't start interviews the day after they announced Yeo wouldn't be back is concerning. The fact that they still haven't started interviews is a joke. This franchise really has no plan whatsoever.

''Philadelphia is getting closer to starting its interviews. They know how critical this hire is for them, determined to leave no stone unturned in finding the right person. What’s been on their minds is a coach with a strong track record, demands accountability from players, gets buy-in right away, and makes teams harder to play against.

Read More: Trotz a ‘Top Candidate’ for Flyers, Interviews to Start Soon | https://973espn.com/trotz-a-top-candidate-for-flyers-interviews-to-start-soon/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral''

Maybe Fletch has been too busy seeing what he can trade his 5th overall pick for?

• Haha 2

The plan should be to amass draft picks and have a shot at Bedard next year. That SHOULD be the plan. However, Chuckles is probably hard at work trying to find another Hayes, another Ellis. With the current roster of players it doesn't matter who the coach is. 

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Truly, and unfortunately, believe it's because they already had their decision made before firing Yeo.  It's either Tocchet or a Lappy undeserved promotion.  The stupidity among the front office is unmatched in the league.  It's hard to see this situation as anything different.  If it's Tocchet, they had already talked to him, told him the job is his, and that's why nothing has been announced, since they know he isn't going anywhere.  If it's Lappy, no other team is dumb enough to even consider hiring him as their head coach, let alone their AHL head coach.  So, no reason to rush out the announcement of their stupidity.

After all, they have to make sure everything is prepared for the propaganda masters to spin it all bright and cheery so the mass gullibility and ignorance among the fanbase buys into it once again.

Much like the "blank check" comment, the Flyers public position on the next coach is clearly out there. They have stated there will be changes,  and implied they will be significant.

Your point on the "spin" might be dead on. I've considered that also. But after all their blathering, if they blow this, I think serious damage will be done to the fanbase

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Much like the "blank check" comment, the Flyers public position on the next coach is clearly out there. They have stated there will be changes,  and implied they will be significant.

There will be changes and they will continue to do things the way they have always done them.

#winning

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

But, anyone who isn't gullible enough to buy the BS that comes from this front office knows, what they say to microphones, and what their propaganda masters write, means absolutely nothing.

You know, the vast majority of people here get it. They know where the Flyers "really" are.

Stuck in a painful spiral of mediocrity derived in large part of their own making both through managerial malaise and the unfortunate decision to remove the ability to spend their way out of bad decisions.

@CoachXibelieve it or not knows this...

What remains is that gullible, ignorant fanbase

There were games with less than 10,000 people actually in the stands...

It's not the fan base.

It's the management of the franchise.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

10 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

The plan should be to amass draft picks and have a shot at Bedard next year. That SHOULD be the plan.

Acquiring draft picks is always a good idea but "have a shot at Bedard" isn't exactly a plan now is it? Even if the Flyers finish last the odds are still 3-1 against drawing the #1 pick. Montreal got lucky this year. No guarantee the Flyers will.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

No, the "propaganda position" is clearly out there.  But, anyone who isn't gullible enough to buy the BS that comes from this front office knows, what they say to microphones, and what their propaganda masters write, means absolutely nothing.  What reality shows, with them STILL not holding any interviews at all(if they were, it would be leaked, even beyond the pathetic propaganda writers) ONLY shows their incompetence.  They will, once again, sit on their asses, while other teams get the job done they're paid to do.  And, in turn, this team will have Tocchet or Lappy as their next head coach.  Only waiting to be fired in 2 years, while collecting their paychecks(probably even after they're fired).  There is absolutely nothing that is "publically out there" when it comes to this organization's front office.  There are only more of their lies.  And, they will only continue to make the same mistakes they've made in the past.

What are you talking about?  No it won't.  The damage to the fanbase that matters has already been done.  What remains is that gullible, ignorant fanbase that is believing what they're being fed by this front office.  And a Tocchet or Lappy hiring certainly won't "damage" them.  They will only continue to believe the propaganda fed them.  The only damage to the fanbase that will matter is to those corporations that are buying the Luxury Boxes and Club Box tickets.  And, there is absolutely nothing close to any damage being done to that fanbase.  Those corporations are still buying their tickets, even if it's Lappy who is the pathetic head coach of this team.  And, Comcast will only continue to be satisfied with what is going on with this team.

I dont know why I bother. 

We should just name you the all knowing GM of the forum. Then we can just stfu and let you tell us all how it is, how it will be, and why you said so