Official: Hayes traded to Blues for 2024 6th RD

jammer2

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The Yards beer they made with his name was damn tasty

So that was the Yards beer that was tasty?   In general, I haven't been a fan of theirs but willing to try more.

• Haha 1

• pilldoc changed the title to Official: Hayes traded to Blues for 2024 6th RD
10 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Now another question comes into focus: Whither Coots?  We weren't impressive at Center (anywhere for that matter).  If he comes back (not sure) or is diminished, we are troubled down the middle.  Frostie and Laughts...

I don't think they move Coots. They need to reach the cap floor remember. They can't move every salary out. I suspect Coots gets a season to see if he can still play. After that who knows?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't think they move Coots. They need to reach the cap floor remember. They can't move every salary out. I suspect Coots gets a season to see if he can still play. After that who knows?

I don't think so either.  But we may be stuck in an LTIR limbo. Or we have someone paid big bucks for diminished returns.  Trading Hayes made me think about the Coots gig.  With Cam--the contract ends in two years.  With Coots, it is 2029-2030.  Yikes.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So that was the Yards beer that was tasty?   In general, I haven't been a fan of theirs but willing to try more.

I like the Brawler too.

My go to these days are Wally beer and South County

Really tasty beers and drinks without the craft brewed headaches.

Our Beers - South County Brewing Co.

Our Award Winning Beers - Wallenpaupack Brewing Co

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

And, I'm happy to say so

Forwards are shaping up i like so far.

Farabee-Joel_PHI-2021_.webp.87e7e6c4bee7c09d757b3a0176edcab8.webpFrost-Morgan_PHI-2020_.webp.4052c3cb2ba020afeb511a9b32c9eab1.webpTippett-Owen_PHI-2022_.webp.9dc421b43ec3db5b4a62655060be212b.webp

Laughton-Scott.webp.d3ce650fc94360fc4b624fe1ea5dbc14.webpCouturierSean.webp.b38d4e75eb77af09ff1841ed8672a2ed.webpKonecny-Travis_1.webp.1e9c537740766dcb5f4bb46de890efc7.webp

Atkinson-Cam_PHI-2022_.webp.4fc75254b4a631a9ffc3eb93afe561ef.webpCates-Noah_PHI-2022_.webp.aa11fee0d2d6b08b5c1826fc3df70f1b.webpAllison-Wade_PHI-2023_.webp.95a569fb1ff95cd3fe7f3b828cc7da32.webp

Deslauriers-Nick_PHI-2023_.webp.8e1d8b8178719c47f30d4b50666cd8a1.webpLaczynski-Tanner_PHI-2021_.webp.db62d11c575de10ad6ddaa0824eb40a9.webpFoerster-Tyson_PHI-2023_.webp.84a098db21c3d796a8d340a3796f454e.webp

I think Laughton finally gets moved for that 3rd 1st for the draft...if not a 2nd not sure of his true value.

Make room for Desnoyers for a LW spot. Brink will need room too soon.

I'm excited for the change. Welcome to see what else happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Forwards are shaping up i like so far.

Farabee-Joel_PHI-2021_.webp.87e7e6c4bee7c09d757b3a0176edcab8.webpFrost-Morgan_PHI-2020_.webp.4052c3cb2ba020afeb511a9b32c9eab1.webpTippett-Owen_PHI-2022_.webp.9dc421b43ec3db5b4a62655060be212b.webp

Laughton-Scott.webp.d3ce650fc94360fc4b624fe1ea5dbc14.webpCouturierSean.webp.b38d4e75eb77af09ff1841ed8672a2ed.webpKonecny-Travis_1.webp.1e9c537740766dcb5f4bb46de890efc7.webp

Atkinson-Cam_PHI-2022_.webp.4fc75254b4a631a9ffc3eb93afe561ef.webpCates-Noah_PHI-2022_.webp.aa11fee0d2d6b08b5c1826fc3df70f1b.webpAllison-Wade_PHI-2023_.webp.95a569fb1ff95cd3fe7f3b828cc7da32.webp

Deslauriers-Nick_PHI-2023_.webp.8e1d8b8178719c47f30d4b50666cd8a1.webpLaczynski-Tanner_PHI-2021_.webp.db62d11c575de10ad6ddaa0824eb40a9.webpFoerster-Tyson_PHI-2023_.webp.84a098db21c3d796a8d340a3796f454e.webp

I think Laughton finally gets moved for that 3rd 1st for the draft...if not a 2nd not sure of his true value.

Make room for Desnoyers for a LW spot. Brink will need room too soon.

I'm excited for the change. Welcome to see what else happens.

I think Allison is a goner as well. He simply can't keep healthy. You fart in his general direction and he's on the injured list. I think Foerster takes his spot on the third line and possibly Brink ends up on the fourth. You could probably or Desnoyers on that 4th line as well and just use Deslauriers as the extra forward. That fourth line could really surprise people.

I'm not gonna judge, IF Danny can take on a bad contract for an early 2nd with the cap space saved, its a nice win. Advertising that Torts does not like Hayes and didn't want him back put Danny in a no leverage situation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I'm not gonna judge, IF Danny can take on a bad contract for an early 2nd with the cap space saved, its a nice win. Advertising that Torts does not like Hayes and didn't want him back put Danny in a no leverage situation.

That may have been the point, or purpose

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I think the rookie GM got taken to the woodshed on this one.

With the comparison of Johansen, I'm not sure I agree with you here.

Hayes' "contributions" on a terrible team notwithstanding, he had/s no place on the Flyers in their current state.

Don't "all star" me or talk about how he STILL has yet to put 20 goals and 50 points in the same season.

Not having the distraction around the team they are trying to build is a win.

Getting younger, more talented, and with better long term prospects are the result of this deal.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hayes' "contributions" on a terrible team notwithstanding, he had/s no place on the Flyers in their current state.

Don't "all star" me or talk about how he STILL has yet to put 20 goals and 50 points in the same season.

Getting younger, more talented, and with better long term prospects are the result of this deal.

Yes, all the other crap put aside, it gives a young developing player top 6 minutes with quality players. Players like Frost, Cates and Allison could see marked improvement from this shuffle. That is often overlooked when evaluating a trade. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Last year, when Kevin Hayes was sitting on the bench, the Flyers scored 43% of the goals, and when he was on the ice they scored 49% of the goals. Unless he demanded a trade, I really don't understand this. I'll go further than that and say, that unless Hayes requested a trade, I think this a really dumb deal.

Yes, Hayes' contract was for too much and too long (and I said so the day it was signed) but somebody has to play those minutes, and if that replacement comes in at $3.5M, you're spending just as much as you were for Hayes. You have to hope he can saw off the competition and, at that price point, they may well not do it.

I think the rookie GM got taken to the woodshed on this one

good post. i see your POV, I disagree with your last statement.

Hayes wanted out. The coach wanted him gone. The situation had to be resolved. Briere was forced to make a move. On any solidly bulit playoff team, Hayes is 3C at best. The only place he was going to have the season he did,was with the Flyers. Tue contract has been discussed. We don't need to rehash that. But keeping Hayes was going to block another player who may be part of the rebuild from getting ice. And since this is a true rebuild, you can't keep a guy who isnt part of that. I am sure DB made all the calls he could, and the best he could get was the 6th and retention. I doubt there was a scenario where someone else offered a fifth and less retention, only to have DB say no thanks. I'm sure he did his diligence and got what he could. At that was the market value of this player.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

21 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yes, all the other crap put aside, it gives a young developing player top 6 minutes with quality players. Players like Frost, Cates and Allison could see marked improvement from this shuffle. That is often overlooked when evaluating a trade. 

It's going to be interesting to see who else gets brought in. I still think Allison and Laczynski will be given walking papers, Laughton will probably get dealt and with Hayes gone, that's two left wingers, a right winger and a center that will need to be filled. And yes, I fully expect Briere hours dumpster diving to fill those roles. 

The days of high end free agent signings are gone. It's about development now and that's all what I care about for the next two to three seasons. Can some of the guys take the next step in their NHL careers? Can some of the guys make the jump from the AHL to the NHL? Most important - can Carter Hart get his mental game together and just play consistently from one game to the next? Far too often, he had meltdowns in that he's too hard on himself when he lets in a bad goal and he just can't let things go and it negatively affects his play for several games. He has to learn to let **** go and just relax and play.

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

I dunno...

In my time here, there's just always that player whom many of you are convinced *has* to go, and *then* the Flyers will improve. That player is finally dealt at cost (cap, buyout, etc) and all that it's been is a steady bleeding of talent with less coming back than went out, and not a lot of thought given to who will play those minutes and if they'll be played effectively.

It's not that I'm opposed to trading Hayes (or any player for that matter) and I don't think it's a disaster for the club. I think that if they were so bound and determined to trade him just so he could be gone, then they should have waited until the deadline, because GMs are always willing to part with higher value picks then (as opposed to the day before the draft) and/or the retention would have been lower.

I can't help but feel, btw, that if the shoe were on the other foot, and the Flyers were bringing in a decent #2 centre for $3.5M (with half of his salary retained) in exchange for a 6th, any talk of him being a distraction would be brushed aside pretty casually.

• Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

good post. i see your POV, I disagree with your last statement.

Hayes wanted out. The coach wanted him gone. The situation had to be resolved. Briere was forced to make a move. On any solidly bulit playoff team, Hayes is 3C at best. The only place he was going to have the season he did,was with the Flyers. Tue contract has been discussed. We don't need to rehash that. But keeping Hayes was going to block another player who may be part of the rebuild from getting ice. And since this is a true rebuild, you can't keep a guy who isnt part of that. I am sure DB made all the calls he could, and the best he could get was the 6th and retention. I doubt there was a scenario where someone else offered a fifth and less retention, only to have DB say no thanks. I'm sure he did his diligence and got what he could. At that was the market value of this player.

I think my "woodshed" comment was hyperbolic; and I went over the edge in making my point. This won't be the ruin of the Flyers, but I don't see it as a strong trade.

• Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think my "woodshed" comment was hyperbolic; and I went over the edge in making my point. This won't be the ruin of the Flyers, but I don't see it as a strong trade.

It's not a "strong" trade, cause there's barely more than nothing coming back. 

But if you want to build a winning attitude on a team, you can't have slow, lazy as f*** clowns making $7 million a year on your roster. He had to go. From the day he was signed.

• Like 3