Flyers sign another stiff - Victor Mette

Blocking the kids?

Why don’t we start with having the kids do something in the AHL before we hand them jobs?  Like make a playoff run at least.

Also, I’m starting to feel like Briere might be doing a quiet tank.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And you guys missed the important signing...Attard got a 2 year deal.

It's a 3 year rebuild we're in year one really enjoy the ride.

ok, JVR is gone, but this one yo care about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

This is going to be your go to line for the next 3 years isn't it?

Hey, well, the Munchkins celebrated well after Dorothy dropped the house on the Wicked Witch of the East, so stands to reason @CoachX is gonna celebrate dropping a hou...errr, the removal of JVR from the roster for quite some time!

JVR may not have had flying monkeys to aid him in his decimation of a Flyer season, but he came damned close! :ph34r: 

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

As for the signings, meh, Mete and Attard are very low risk signings for Philly, with a small chance for upside at the big league level.

I think those two are AHL bound and likely to remain there barring one of them suddenly finding some consistency at the blue line, or if the Flyers suffer massive injuries to the defense corp.

True, Mete is 25, an undersized defenseman, and hasn't done much of anything at the NHL level except, for the most part, be a defensive liability and turnover machine, BUT, at the same time, I think Montreal completely screwed that young man up by drafting him, then throwing him right into the NHL (he was a freakin 4th rounder...not like he was a blue chip first round defenseman for cripes sake!), without any real time to develop his game at the AHL level.

And he may also be 'beyond repair', but at this stage for the Flyers, it wouldn't hurt to see if he can find something, with less pressure on him, at AHL Lehigh. If not, then there he shall remain. Not really blocking anyone at the NHL level, but just a body to patrol the minor league blue line.

Attard is a different story.
Seems to have good size, offensive instincts, and some potential to be a real NHL defenseman.
He's only 24 and hasn't quite reached the prime for his position, but another guy who probably starts at the AHL level and could be one of the first callups if he rounds his game, the Flyers make if they need help at the blueline.

If the Flyers were pushing to be a contender NOW, then I could see fans being very underwhelmed here.
But, DB is still sorting through this mess of a roster, has already removed some jetsam, and is now in the process of seeing who can stick, and who can't.
These signings are symbolic of that.

Nothing to throw a party over, but also nothing to get upset about here, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Blocking the kids?

Why don’t we start with having the kids do something in the AHL before we hand them jobs?  Like make a playoff run at least.

Because they will be 28 by the time the Phantoms have a playoff run.. Zamula is no longer waiver exempt, he has to stay with the Flyers, so you have to play him. hHe's spent enough time in the minors, its time to crap or get off the pot. Attard may need another half a season.

Only upset cause NOBODY is gonna give a draft pick for Mete at 5he deadline. I get you need bodies...but try and weaponize the cap space.

One slight positive. We will have 2 young Goalies patrolling the crease for the Phantoms and having guys with NHL experience in front of them can help avoid ruining them from inevitable shell shock. Plus his salary can be effectively buried 100% in the AHL. 

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hey, well, the Munchkins celebrated well after Dorothy dropped the house on the Wicked Witch of the East, so stands to reason @CoachX is gonna celebrate dropping a hou...errr, the removal of JVR from the roster for quite some time!

I'm still celebrating Fletchers firing. Probably will forever! 

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

I know Mason Shaw has a torn ACL...and has suffered many injuries for a 24 year guy. Veteran minimum...I take that shot. One of the toughest guys to play against anywhere. Former 94 pt guy in the Dub who transitioned to a checker. You wanna take dart throws...pick this savage bulldog. Talk about playing Flyer hockey....1 year deal can't hurt.

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Yes but I want Soyheim and Laughton gone, that's two first round picks we could have had. Now we have Soyheim and Broke Back Coots for 7 more years.

Dear RJ, I was a bit surprised that Laughts didn't go, but I don't rule it out down the road.  Sanheim...not sure what to think if there is a return to decent form.  Coots' situation could be a real mess if the dude is injured or a pale shade of what he was.  

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

No team is giving up a top 10 pick for him, a contender might trade a first rounder and AHL depth, but that is going to be a late first rounder, those kids are hit or miss,

I would have seriously considered a 1st this year and 2nd next, if that indeed was on offer.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

much in the way I think trading Carter Hart for a 2nd rounder and a 3rd a year later is stupid. 

That is stupid. I was considering Auston Matthews (plus) for Hart. Giving him up for peanuts makes no sense.

Victor Mete means nothing for this team except a warm body for a year.

• Like 2