Tippett Extended - 8Y $6.2 per

Im fine with the deal. Just happy it ends when he is 32/33 and not 35+. 6.2 for a north south 25+ goal scorer with edge at 24 years old is good. Any No trade clause?

@radoran

I see what you did there!

That cap hit is not the worst.

Feels team friendly and based on how he was progressing this year, even if this is as good as it gets, I'm not going to mind having a 30 goal scorer in the lineup somewhere.

Edited by mojo1917

I'm impressed by both sides - seems like a great tradeoff. Tippett gets a long-term contract and a huge raise but accepts somewhat less than (probable) market value; the Flyers lock up a 25-year old power forward whose ceiling is still TBD. Glad to see they got it done before the break. 

• Like 3

8 makes me pucker a bit but the AAV is good.  I expect him to keep getting better.  Would have liked to see him producing in the POs before this term but overall I think this is decent by MGMT.  

• Like 1

I don't think this is a terrible contract, though as mentioned, the term is a tad too long. I hope he continues to play the way he has, and we weren't just seeing a guy trying to get a big raise. He never really developed in Florida, so hopefully the change of scenery has him loving to play in Philly. Lord knows this franchise could use some good news.

54 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think this is a terrible contract, though as mentioned, the term is a tad too long. I hope he continues to play the way he has, and we weren't just seeing a guy trying to get a big raise. He never really developed in Florida, so hopefully the change of scenery has him loving to play in Philly. Lord knows this franchise could use some good news.

I have no problem with this contract. Yeah, the years are a bit long but at that point..when he's in his 30s..it's a friendly enough contract for the team, that he's moveable. Good deal. I like the Poehling contract, too. Danny B is doing well.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I heard Jake Voracek is available. :beer:

Voracek's contract actually ends this year... :hyper:

It doubled the length and amount of his previous contract. Because of course it did. And was signed a year earlier than it needed to be.

Voracek had never - and would never - score 25 in a season. He was a point per game player basically twice.

His contract - eight years ago - was $2M per more than Tippett today. :hocky:

Clearly the player "wants to be here" and if he's a consistent 25+ goal scorer this is a bargain deal.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Voracek's contract actually ends this year... :hyper:

It doubled the length and amount of his previous contract. Because of course it did. And was signed a year earlier than it needed to be.

Voracek had never - and would never - score 25 in a season. He was a point per game player basically twice.

His contract - eight years ago - was $2M per more than Tippett today. :hocky:

Clearly the player "wants to be here" and if he's a consistent 25+ goal scorer this is a bargain deal.

Not arguing Voracek's contract, but in fairness, when Voracek was at a point-per-game, he was 5th in the league in scoring. Today, that puts you around 50th.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I hope he continues to play the way he has, and we weren't just seeing a guy trying to get a big raise.

I sure hope he does too.

If not and they just get the 40 point forward he has always been well they have screwed the pooch again.

Maybe be just trying to distract us from Coots long contract!!! Because even this year he is only projects to score 52 points.

I can't speak for anyone else but 6 mill is pricey for a 50 point forward.

I'm wanting a 70 point forward for this price tag and i'm afraid what happens when he regresses to the mean.

I was why i lobbied to try and really trade him but hey other wanted and well they got him till he is a 32 year old forward who will have more likely seen his speed drop off a cliff at 28 or 29....but hey maybe for once they get lucky and he morphs into a 80 point forward (yeah i doubt it).

2 hours ago, radoran said:

if he's a consistent 25+ goal scorer this is a bargain deal.

And if not you happy shelling out 6 mill for 40 points when he is 28 years old?

Hey will give us a fresh dead horse to beat to death till he is 32...

giphy.gif.1d1131bb6aef939e6a3582f7f773bf0e.gif

:joe:

So, I'm pretty much in line with others around here. The salary is more than fair, but I think the term runs about three years too long. He provides a combination of high level offense and abysmal defense, but it's much harder to find guys to put the puck in the net than anything else. Generally speaking, I'm usually a bit leery of when guys find a big bump in their scoring, but he's not being zoomed by a high shooting percentage, so it seems repeatable to me. If he loses his wheels before the contract ends, it won't be pretty out there.

image.png

@jammer2 I'm not sure if I agree with the article comparing Owen Tippett and Nugent-Hopkins. I understand that they're not comparing stylistically speaking, but rather in terms of production. Offense has gone up a fair bit since RNH was Tippett's age. That year, he was 73rd in points-per-game and +10 on a team that gave up more than they scored. Tippett is 117th in points-per-game and-3 on a team with a positive goal differential.

Edited by JR Ewing

32 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

If he loses his wheels before the contract ends, it won't be pretty out there.

Which will be around 29 in about 5 years which would have been the perfect length of contract and then guess what at that point if they still felt he was worth keeping they could have offered him another contract...

..but now if he has lost his speed well guess what they last 3 years???

Yeah i don't want to think about it.

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Not arguing Voracek's contract, but in fairness, when Voracek was at a point-per-game, he was 5th in the league in scoring. Today, that puts you around 50th.

Yeah, 5th.

Once.

And, again, never scored 25. This isn't Henrik Sedin we're talking about.

:hocky:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And if not you happy shelling out 6 mill for 40 points when he is 28 years old?

Hey will give us a fresh dead horse to beat to death till he is 32...

giphy.gif.1d1131bb6aef939e6a3582f7f773bf0e.gif

:joe:

I guess the question is would we have been happier with $8.5M for five years?

Flyers gave on term and took on AAV.

In five years $6M per will be third line money. :hyper:

• Uggh... 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

I guess the question is would we have been happier with $8.5M for five years?

Flyers gave on term and took on AAV.

In five years $6M per will be third line money. :hyper:

I would have traded him but hey that's me...

:beer:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah, 5th.

Once.

And, again, never scored 25. This isn't Henrik Sedin we're talking about.

:hocky:

I don't want to defend the contract, because Hextall flat-out over-paid Voracek, but he produced for a long time and had a really good career.

image.png

I like the contract that Tippett signed, and I think he can provide suitable value for at least five years. I would also be stunned if his list of comps is anything approaching this group.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I don't want to defend the contract, because Hextall flat-out over-paid Voracek, but he produced for a long time and had a really good career.

Right, I'm talking about the contract. And his career doesn't match it.

He was an above average NHL player. To your earlier point about a point per game being 50th, there are literally dozens of players like him.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I like the contract that Tippett signed, and I think he can provide suitable value for at least five years. I would also be stunned if his list of comps is anything approaching this group.

His salary - eight years later - is $2M less than Voracek. That's the point.

I'll take four years of this guy potting 25+ and see what happens on the back end.

I said at the time and history has borne out that Voracek was a terrible mistake.

33 minutes ago, radoran said:

Right, I'm talking about the contract. And his career doesn't match it.

Agreed. He was paid like he was an elite player and he wasn't one.

33 minutes ago, radoran said:

He was an above average NHL player. To your earlier point about a point per game being 50th, there are literally dozens of players like him.

That wasn't my point about being a PPG player. When Jake did it, there was a far smaller group of players doing it; offense was a lot lower. What he did is more impressive than being a PPG player today. For his part, Tippett is 144th in points-per-game. He's not nearly as good.

Thankfully, he's being paid less.