JVR traded for Luke Schenn

Guest hf101

79 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the trade?

Mojo what are your thoughts on letting Carle go and going after the dman from Fla ,a righty who actually has a point shot? And can score some goals for us on the PP,Carles shot is limped than a 90 yr olds penis. Or maybe even going after the UFA dman from Anaheim

I think letting carle walk and bringing in garrison may make sense cap wise, but it think it is probably a lateral move, we get a better shot and a righthanded one at that, but i think we'll miss Carle's vision , shotblocking plus i think carle is better in his own end than garrison, but the guy to ask about garrison is @jammer2 since he's been scouting him for his fantasy league Carle plays like 24 a night, that's a lot of time to be on the ice he handles the puck very well, his gaffes always seem to come at the worst times but he's out there a lot and is durable. I don't think Garrison has a rep for being a tough guy or overly physical either so that's a wash.

lot's of guys like to bag on carle, i think he's a good player that will be missed when gone and we'll wonder why the offense can't seem to get going or why bryzgalov is facing so many shots. the thought of bryzgalov facing so many shots doesn't appeal to me after last year's performance.

it wouldn't break my heart if Carle seeks a fortune elsewhere and is replaced by Garrison but I think then Garrison becomes the new whipping boy.... maybe that will be Luke Schenn.... ideally we add Garrison to the corps with Carle but then there's no money for Claude's wing.

I don't want to say Garrison is a one year wonder or anything, but his career stats are very underwhelming. Last year's 16 goals are his first year with any kind of offensive output that can be linked to respectable. The shot is for real, it's a booming accurate bomb....but the career stats scare me. Here we have a guy who is 28 soon and only one year of decent production. He would have to come at the right price, because anybody sinking big money into this project is taking a big risk.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76396

@mojo1917 or jammer what do you know about this college dman from the Ducks that everyone is so high on,is he worth pursuing. Do we go for him or Garrison or keep Carle. if we go for the cheaper dman then maybe we have $ for Parise.

So let me get this straight. You want to get rid of a proven solid commodity in Carle because his shot sucks - and replace him and his 24ish quality minutes with a guy you know nothing about from Fla, who had ONE good year approaching 28 yrs old, or a COLLEGE kid??? God I'm glad you're not the GM.

@RonJeremy I've never seen this Schultz kid play, so stuff you could find on the net would tell you more than I know about him. Based on the info I just dug up on Garrison, I'd have to say keeping Carle is the smart play here. To many unknowns in the other scenarios.

@mojo1917 or jammer what do you know about this college dman from the Ducks that everyone is so high on,is he worth pursuing. Do we go for him or Garrison or keep Carle. if we go for the cheaper dman then maybe we have $ for Parise.

Justin Schultz is the college player you are referring to. Dude hasn't played a pro game yet. You don't know what you're going to get. IMHO, it is way too risky to let Carle walk and think Schultz can fill his role. Way too risky.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@Dynamo 47 Now JVR is Toronto's problem. If he struggles early, that pack of wolves commonly known as the Toronto media will be all over him like white on rice. He's Toronto's problem now....good riddence. JVR is about to find out the hard way, a lot easier to score with Philly's centers feeding him the puck....a whole lot more creativity on the Flyers side of the agenda.

I know the amount of Leaf fans you have to deal with in Windsor, just as FC in Barrie and myself in Sudbury but I think this trade will workout for the Flyers. Eventhough JVR could end up being a decent powerforward, the Flyers proved last season that they didn't really miss him when he wasn't in the lineup. He's going to find out how hard it's going to be to play in Toronto when he doesn't perform the way the fans expect him to. Once Schenn gets the Toronto **** out of his system, pairing him with Timonen might not be a bad idea, not to mention he'll be playing with his brother. He's a big bruising defensive defenseman who lost his confidence in Toronto with no coach to help him out. The change of scenery might do him so good. And if Holmgren can trade for Ryan who seems to want to end up in Philly then things might not be too bad. He's signed for 3 more years compared to JVR who signed for 6 years. But getting a draft pick would have been nice.

• Like 2

So let me get this straight. You want to get rid of a proven solid commodity in Carle because his shot sucks - and replace him and his 24ish quality minutes with a guy you know nothing about from Fla, who had ONE good year approaching 28 yrs old, or a COLLEGE kid??? God I'm glad you're not the GM.

yeah, "that guy from florida" and "that college kid in anaheim". he is obviously bringing his impressive analysis to bear when advocating these moves.

seriously ronjeremy, if you don't even know the players' names, how can you know anything about their games?

That's one thing that group is really missing - a shot from the point. Anybody know if Schenn has a shot in him?

According to The Hockey News profile Schenn has a heavy shot.....but apparently is hesitant to unload it.

ASSETS: Has excellent shutdown ability and leadership qualities. Is steady, bull-like strong and takes the man with aplomb. Loves to hit and block shots. Strong positionally, he has the mobility to recover when beat. Makes a solid first pass.

FLAWS: Has a heavy blast from the point, but he doesn't possess great offensive instincts, which will limit his ability to put up points consistently at the National Hockey League level. Can be guilty of putting himself out of position from time to time.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Big-minute shutdown defenseman with upside

• Like 1

Justin Schultz is the college player you are referring to. Dude hasn't played a pro game yet. You don't know what you're going to get. IMHO, it is way too risky to let Carle walk and think Schultz can fill his role. Way too risky.

Most people seem to think that Schultz is a can't miss player, someone who could step right in as a starter this season.

Plus his name is Shultz. If that isn't a sign that he should be a Flyer, I don't know what is!

This trade has potential and if a certain piece or two is added, it has a very good potential to put our Team up at the top again (as far as the media is concerned).

1. We need to bring in a defensive coach in Terry M. = He would stabilize our Defensemen and solidy the team unit on D. The challenge would be to synchronize Lavy's system with this and Lavy would have to comply.

2. Zach Parise seems to have some interest in Philly. He is worth getting, Ryan as well.

3. I saw a lot of bad passing when we broke out of our zone, terrible choices. There has to be a stable system in place and our forwards need to be proactive in moving there feet to not just be open for the pass, but be a step ahead in knowing what options they can pursue once the pass is hitting their tape.

Glimpses of that happened when they were on their game, but they really need to spend more time in practice drilling those fundamentals in. And control the amount of blindside pass behind your back dishes, to get rid of the puck when being pressured antics.

More to be announced....

• Like 1

I'm happy with the trade. Schenn is only 23, let's see what he can do away from the Toronto pressure-cooker, where he was not appreciated at all by Carlisle or BB. So - fk them. Bring him to Philly, get him playing with his best friend (his brother) and hopefully-maybe his hockey sense grows and he becomes exactly what we need.

I just feel moving JVR was good for the Flyers. He always struck me as belonging to the "I'm Entitled" Brigade. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by that, but I mean it. :)

Seriously but - goodbye Mr. Invisible, hello...we'll see.

• Like 1

@Lindbergh31 Ahhhh never thought of the coaching aspect. Schenn's entire career has been spent with that waste of fresh air Ron Wilson as coach. By far the worst coach in the NHL....the only reason he is employed is because he's Burke's buddy....sad state of affairs up there in TO. Luke might just rebound with the *proper* coaching.

@Lindbergh31 Luke might just rebound with the *proper* coaching.

And I think he will. For all the criticism Lavy is getting, I think one aspect of his coaching that stands out positively is that he really seems to know how to help players realize their potential. I always thought Hitch was probably the best in that area (what he got out of Pitkonen, Malakhov, Timander and many others was simply amazing), but I think Lavy is right there with him - maybe not *that* effective, but still pretty good.

I will admit I haven't seen much of Luke, but what I did see, there is certainly some material to work with. That's for sure. The guy has some valuable tools. He is still very young and I htink he only has one place to go - up. I really think Lavy can help him grow.

Schenn definately isn't as bad as he's made out to be. Neither is JVR.

Well said, as always @flyercanuck.

The thing about Schenn that I have always disliked is his feet of clay. So, I say pair him up with Carle and part of that problem is solved.

Schenn is also not a great first pass kind of guy, related no doubt to his relative lack of mobiity - the deer in the headlights things that @jammer2 was talking about. Again, put him with Carle and that problem is partly solved. He does have some snarl though, so there's that.

Well said, as always @flyercanuck.

The thing about Schenn that I have always disliked is his feet of clay. So, I say pair him up with Carle and part of that problem is solved.

Schenn is also not a great first pass kind of guy, related no doubt to his relative lack of mobiity - the deer in the headlights things that @jammer2 was talking about. Again, put him with Carle and that problem is partly solved. He does have some snarl though, so there's that.

If Schenn can turn out to be a Hatcher type d-man, I think we'll all be pretty happy. If.

The one factor that has not been discussed to much is Luke's offense. Not a lot of talent to play with in Toronto. He's not going to get a lot of those secondary assists from just touching the puck and having it go in the net that a lot of other players get. So, in theory, being surrounded by superior talent in Philly will inevitably lead to more points. I think a big problem with his shot from the point is getting it off. Opposing teams figured out if they crowd him he will just dish it off, because once you crowd him, he does not have the foot speed/lateral movement to shake the guy off and set up in another spot that his foot speed created. In the business, they call this the ability to open up another lane...perhaps this can be worked on....but I'm really thinking his foot speed is what it is. Perhaps a bit of technique teaching can help...ie faking a move or providing some sort of trickery to hide his true intentions. In a lot of ways, it's the same thing we see with Coburn, although Coburn is much faster once he gets a few strides in...but same problems Luke faces when standing still or sauntering back and forth at a slow pace. We shall see...

He does have some snarl though, so there's that.

whatever his other faults may be, he hits the crap out of people. he averaged all of 16:02 TOI last season, but managed to still rank 7th in total hits. if he'd taken a "normal" defensive shift, would have easily been 2nd (only 23 hits behind as it was).

we'll see what he does in terms of offense or general defense, but will in any case up the mean of the blueline.

• Like 1