B. Schenn suspended 1 game

brelic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414264

The first supplementary discipline meeting of the 2013 NHL season will take place Wednesday as Philadelphia Flyers forward Brayden Schenn will meet with vice president of player safety Brendan Shanahan to discuss an incident that occurred during Tuesday's game against the New Jersey Devils.

The hearing will take place at 1:30pm et/10:30am pt.

During the second period of the Devils' 3-0 victory over the Flyers, Schenn appeared to leave his feet while delivering a bodycheck to Devils defenceman Anton Volchenkov.

Schenn did not receive a penalty on the play.

The 21-year-old forward has played in all three of the Flyers games this season and has one assist and five penalty minutes.

For his hit on Volchenkov (oh, the irony) last night. Apparently, he left his feet. I remember the hit, but the announcers didn't say a thing about it, which I thought was odd, because it looked like Schenn bowled over Volchenkov.

He did not, I repeat DID NOT, leave his feet until his shoulder made contact. He leaves his feet from the impetus of the hit(both of them do). He kept his shoulder down and did not go head hunting. I dvred it and watched the hit several times. It is certainly not suspension worthy and I would like to see how Bettman's bitch is going to justify what he does to Schenn.

brenden must be getting bored and feeling left out of all the hockey action or something. there's no way that hit even warrants a 2nd look. penalty? maaaaybe. maaaaybe. even then, i mean.. it's a borderline call. why are they even looking at this? did the devils send it in? if so, they're a bunch of rats. volchenkov takes out more players in a season that most do in their careers.

It seems to me that Schenn's hit was payback to Volchenkov for this hit last May.

The new CBA rules allow for fines more significant than the ones we’ve seen in the past, interesting call for Shanahan.

Permissible fines for on-ice infractions increased to an amount up to 50 percent of the Player’s Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses (not including Performance Bonuses) divided by the number of days in the Regular Season and may not exceed $10,000 on a first-time basis, and $15,000 on a second and subsequent time basis (determined in accordance with a rolling 12-month period). All fines above $5,000 are subject to the hearing procedure accorded to Players subject to suspension not exceeding five (5) Games.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/01/23/court-of-public-opinion-brayden-schenn-derailed-anton-volchenkov-suspension-or-no/#more-73909

We have all seen it, the pussification of our beloved sport. The guy had the puck, dumped it before the hit, which Braydon would not have known. All legal from what I can see, all shoulder, no head contract....even looks like he tried to have the impact hit Volchenkov in the upper chest on purpose. If this is declared a suspendablel offense, the pussification of our sport is at hand. This is a hard hitting contact sport....just what do they want??

• Like 2

We have all seen it, the pussification of our beloved sport. The guy had the puck, dumped it before the hit, which Braydon would not have known. All legal from what I can see, all shoulder, no head contract....even looks like he tried to have the impact hit Volchenkov in the upper chest on purpose. If this is declared a suspendablel offense, the pussification of our sport is at hand. This is a hard hitting contact sport....just what do they want??

This?

CatHockey.jpg#Cats%20playing%20hockey

• Like 1

He does not leave his feet IMO. If you look at the replay posted by Digity above, beginning at the 14 second mark. His feet are on the ice at point of contact. Textbook hit IMO.

Edited by Podein25

He does not leave his feet IMO. If you look at the replay posted by Digity above, beginning at the 14 second mark. His feet are on the ice at point of contact. Textbook hit IMO.

Textbook enough to get a 1 game with no prior history that I can find. I hate Shanahan...he is everything that is wrong with the NHL these days. And its not just the Flyers he's screwed over the last 18 months.

@DaGreatGazoo

I tried to edit my post but everything went all wonky.

I just watched Shanny's video and he's right that it is charging. He says it's "clear" that Schenn's feet leave the ice before the hit, and it does look like it, but at real speed it's virtually instantaneous. Anyway, one game is no biggie.

@DaGreatGazoo

I tried to edit my post but everything went all wonky.

I just watched Shanny's video and he's right that it is charging. He says it's "clear" that Schenn's feet leave the ice before the hit, and it does look like it, but at real speed it's virtually instantaneous. Anyway, one game is no biggie.

Meanwhile, Malkin keeps elbowing people everywhere and never gets suspended.

It's not so much that Schenn got suspended that is frustrating. It's the fact that discipline is pretty arbitrary in this league.

• Like 4

It's not the suspension that bothers me, it's the GD lack of consistency from the league/Shanahan. For crying out loud, the ref in the game was standing right there looking at it, and called nothing.

But a day later, a cube jockey has the benefit of super NASA style slow-mo, and decides, yeah, when I break it down frame by frame, he left his feet...suspension.

Again, hasn't Shanahan ALWAYS said, prior history, etc factors in a suspension or not? So much for that theory.

I'm going back to my bottle of rum...

• Like 1

It seems to me that Schenn's hit was payback to Volchenkov for this hit last May.

The new CBA rules allow for fines more significant than the ones we’ve seen in the past, interesting call for Shanahan.

http://blogs.thescor...-no/#more-73909

Schenn definitely left his feet and the hit is illegal. That said, good to see that dirty POS get a dirty hit of his own delivered.

• Like 1

when I break it down frame by frame, he left his feet...suspension

Officials miss things on the ice all the time but when they don't, when they're clearly aware of the play (the hit), Shanahan shouldn't have any power to hand out "supplemental discipline." Supplemental to what?

He did not, I repeat DID NOT, leave his feet until his shoulder made contact. He leaves his feet from the impetus of the hit(both of them do). He kept his shoulder down and did not go head hunting. I dvred it and watched the hit several times. It is certainly not suspension worthy and I would like to see how Bettman's bitch is going to justify what he does to Schenn.

utterly bs call. Did lou really send the tape to the league?? Kronwall does 10x as worse and never gets suspended. Utter BS.

@dgg

totally agree. But according to Polaris ..there is no bias in this league. BS! There is ..and the lack of consistency is what is frustrating....I'm so sick of this crap. :angry:

I never once said there is no bias. I said it matters WHO the player is not what team he's on.

@brelic

Still on Malkin? Again? Do I sick @B21 on you with comparisons about dirty Flyers play? Pronger? Hartnell?

Sorry boys, but I find it funny when Flyers fans who revel in the "Broad Street Bullies" hacking and whacking their way to the Cup cry about superstar players breaking the rules here and there.

@B21

So Schenn gets suspended for a 1st offence with zero prior history on a hit that went unpenalized and had to be broken down frame by frame and is STILL questionable whether he left his feet.

Did the NHL use his tyke history against him? Maybe he should have used the Neal "I jumped to avoid contact" bs? Meanwhile malkin couldn't BUY a history. (told ya the truce ends when the season starts :P )

• Like 2

@B21

So Schenn gets suspended for a 1st offence with zero prior history on a hit that went unpenalized and had to be broken down frame by frame and is STILL questionable whether he left his feet.

Did the NHL use his tyke history against him? Maybe he should have used the Neal "I jumped to avoid contact" bs? Meanwhile malkin couldn't BUY a history. (told ya the truce ends when the season starts :P )

Congrats. Finally have one. Should have definitely been a charging penalty but not a suspendable offense in my opinion. Not much differenent than Kronwall as someone else alluded to.

• Like 2