Welcome to the Flyers Ivan Provorov!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured the Flyers were leaning heavy toward Proporov when they signed Medvedev. I know he speaks good english but it always helps come camp time to have a fellow countryman to help the kid just feel more at home...good move Hexy.

Hey boys... I can't tell you how happy I am about this puck. We have the best defensive prospect pool on the NHL.

On a bittersweet note I lost my mother today to a long battle... I will be out of pocket for a while but look forward to talking to everyone in the near future.

Provorov was the right pick. Prov, Sanheim, Morin, Gost, Haag... looking good

Sorry to hear about your mother, my condolscences

"I know all these guys a little bit," Hakstol said. "I watched him at Cedar Rapids [of the USHL] a couple years ago, and he was a guy who stood out on the ice just because he competes extremely hard in all situations, and as a young guy, he was a dominant player in that league. His maturity level on the ice is really impressive."

So sounds like he had quite a say so in the picks...good to hear.

I figured the Flyers were leaning heavy toward Proporov when they signed Medvedev.

Yes, it appears as if the Flyers at least had the thought of adding Provorov through the draft before or during the signing of Medvedev. I do think Meds would have been a Flyer regardless, but having a Russian mentor for a young impressionable 18 year old is a wise move.

. From where I'm sitting, Hexy took the for sure thing in Provorov, then thought quick on his feet with the Leafs deal, allowing them to move up and grab Konecky. This is all positive stuff, cause paying 29 and 61 to get "your guy" at 24....that is masterful, real nice job. Very satisfying to have some faith in the guy making the moves again. It's been a long time since I started to trust a Flyers GM. Hexy is starting to earn that trust.

Looks like I was wrong on Provorov going before the Flyers got to him. I think he's a really solid pick. Funny enough I thought Zacha would be their pick and he's a Devil instead. Hopefully he and Provorov will have many battles in the future.

Looks like I was wrong on Provorov going before the Flyers got to him. I think he's a really solid pick. Funny enough I thought Zacha would be their pick and he's a Devil instead. Hopefully he and Provorov will have many battles in the future.

Zacha provides MUCH needed depth down the middle for the Devils. While Henrique might be the top line center, they moved him to the wing frequently last year. Zacha can step right in and provide 1st or 2nd line minutes. Having Henrique and Pavel as the 1-2 punch spreads out the offense and takes pressure off of Henrique, allows Adam to get more comfortable. He looks solid frame wise already....6'3 and 214 lbs...nice size, nice skating. A lot to like here. Zajac should be moved down to 3rd line minutes, he is not a top 6 forward, that was painfully obvious last year.

@MC - My condolences on your loss.

I love this pick, especially because I had convinced myself he would not be there at #7.  I was sure the Devils would screw us over and pick him just before the Flyers could get him, though my only hope was that they were in much greater need of offense.  While Hexy has said another year of development wouldn't hurt, it does sound like he will get every chance to make the team this year so it should be an interesting training camp.  Lots of young d-men are going to be gunning for their chance at making the big club, so hopefully it will give us a chance to see what these kids are made of.  The good news is that Grossmann and L Schenn are going into the final years of their contracts, so that should help in their tradability.  

@murraycraven

I lost my mother three years ago today, almost to the minute as I'm writing this. I wish I could tell you the pain goes away. It doesn't for me. I hope you're able to find strength in those around you.

Peace and strength, my friend.

Love the pick. I'm excited about the future of this team. Have the Flyers *ever* had 5 true defensive prospects in the farm system??

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hextall trade a defenseman today and get a 2nd rounder back. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hextall trade a defenseman today and get a 2nd rounder back. 

Funny, I just mentioned that in another thread I just created regarding the article/blog from Bill Meltzer,  I would be absolutely estatic if Hexy can pull off some more magic and trade back into the 2nd round.  Someone has to be willing to take Grossman off our hands.  (Would love it for it to be McDud, however, I realize his monstrosity of a contract could hancuff Hexy to that regard).

Finally some direction to this team moving forward.  I also realize they are still a bit away from periennial playoff contenders, at least their is finally a strong foundation being built.

You guys would have been proud of how fast I got drunk after Provorov went #7 and Werenski #8.

Was mitigated somewhat by all the cheering when we drafted the Halifax Mooseheads power forward Timo Meier. Halifax is pretty neutral ground, but we love our Moose!

Watching Boston implode while the guy in the Lucic hoodie slumped his head at the bar and yelled at the screen was boss too.

Very satisfying to have some faith in the guy making the moves again. It's been a long time since I started to trust a Flyers GM. Hexy is starting to earn that trust.

Homer was actually doing a pretty fine job at drafting players.  It's hard to fault him for any of the picks he has made during his tenure. 

But trading and signing players to contracts is the whole different matter. :unsure[1]:

Watching Boston implode while the guy in the Lucic hoodie slumped his head at the bar and yelled at the screen was boss too.

Suicide watch in Bean Town.  Sweeney may need an armed security forces when he returns.

Suicide watch in Bean Town.  Sweeney may need an armed security forces when he returns.

Oh definitely. If i heard on the news that he was hospitalized because a fan attacked him with a pitchfork and torch, I would not be surprised at all.

You guys would have been proud of how fast I got drunk after Provorov went #7 and Werenski #8.

Was mitigated somewhat by all the cheering when we drafted the Halifax Mooseheads power forward Timo Meier. Halifax is pretty neutral ground, but we love our Moose!

this post wins the thread !

:D

. From where I'm sitting, Hexy took the for sure thing in Provorov, then thought quick on his feet with the Leafs deal, allowing them to move up and grab Konecky. This is all positive stuff, cause paying 29 and 61 to get "your guy" at 24....that is masterful, real nice job. Very satisfying to have some faith in the guy making the moves again. It's been a long time since I started to trust a Flyers GM. Hexy is starting to earn that trust.

Funny thing is, from what I've read, the Maple Leafs actually called the Flyers about that trade so Hexy jumped on it....they didn't think they were going to get their guy Konecky.  Thanks Toronto

Funny thing is, from what I've read, the Maple Leafs actually called the Flyers about that trade so Hexy jumped on it....they didn't think they were going to get their guy Konecky.  Thanks Toronto

LOL... If that is true...then the Laffs continue on and on and on ........

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/10-things-we-learned-in-the-first-round-1.319470

3. Speaking of trading up: the Flyers dealt No. 29 and No. 61 to Toronto to slide up five spots to No. 24 so they could grab Travis Konecny. Hextall said after the first round that he found out later that Konecny wouldn’t have made it to No. 29… Winnipeg picked at No. 25.

Ottawa passed on Konecny not once, but twice, with the 18th and 21st selections. Remember that name.

Archived