Canadiens deal P.K. Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

pilldoc

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-deal-p-k-subban-predators-shea-weber/

Trying to save Cap $$$?

So which do you prefer....???

Subban, 27, has six years remaining on his contract that carries an annual salary cap hit of $9 million

OR

Weber, 30, is under contract for 10 more seasons. His average annual salary carp hit is $7.85 million.

I like what Weber brings to the Habs a very, very little bit more than what Subban brings to the Preds, but that being said, I don't like the 10 years locked into a contract versus 6. 

• Like 2

Money-wise, I think its a wash...Subban with the higher AAV but Weber with the longer term.

Performance and health-wise, Weber, at 30 (and given his sometimes very rugged style), may begin to wear out sooner than Subban (27) who CAN play a rugged style, but mostly plays an agitation / finesse type game.

Weber is, IMO, the overall better defender with pretty good offensive skills, but Subban represents moxy, attitude, and he too possesses some good offensive skills, and his defensive awareness, while not top tier, has certainly improved the last couple seasons.

The Preds, I believe have more than enough depth on their blue line and a balanced enough forwards unit to absorb the loss of Weber (and bringing in Subban alleviates his loss as well), but I am not sure if Montreal has enough overall depth for the loss of Subban. Surely, as I already said, the Habs got themelves a better overall defender who is good on offense...but will Weber continue to flourish in MTL even with the diminished balance of offense (and indeed, sometimes LACK of it)?

I think Subban fits in seamlessly with the Preds, while Weber may need to make many more adjustments with the Canadiens.

Things can certainly work out well for both teams, but for the here and now, I am going to say the Preds made out a bit better than the Habs did.

Of course, for Montreal, if this is just one move in a series of moves to revamp and revitalize the team, then things could very well turn more in the Habs favor.

Good job Smashville though!

I'll give you this quarter for that quarter...

stat at wise very similar.  So the trade is really leader vs agitator.  Would you pay a million a year more for a team leader?  I think I would...  Montreal may have gotten the better on this deal in that light.  

• Like 2

I like what Montreal is getting more than what Nashville is, since I'm higher on Weber generally speaking than Subban, but I understand what the Preds were probably going for. Subban is three years younger and has a bit more offensive ability, a la support for Rinne. Still, I think Montreal wins. Better leadership, and far more consistent play.

Edited by ScottM
  • Like 1

Shea Weber is like an old power puncher: the last thing that goes is the big shot. But, his game has slowly but surely been slipping for a few years. While the elite defensemen are pushing scoring chances north, Weber's possession numbers are steadily declining for the last 4 years. In 3 of the last 4 years, the Preds have given up fewer GA/60 with Weber on the bench than on the ice, and in that time, the team is now getting less than 50% of the goals scored while he's on the ice when it was 56% before. When Subban is on the ice, the puck is moving in the right direction, and the Habs are scoring almost 57% of the goals. A massive difference.

The Predators got out from under a contract which will only become worse with each year for the next decade, and if Montreal bought in on leadership, and other sorts of hero worship, they deserve what they get from it. Unless Subban is drop kicking babies or spiking the Gatorade in the dressing room, this is a clear win for the Preds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

LOL. Subban is no Webber. I suspect the Preds fans will soon be quite teed off... I hate to say it, but the Habs win this one.

Weber's games has been slipping for a bit now, and will soon be sliding like a greased-up Krazy Karpet. He's been riding on rep for a few years.

Subban has time to improve in all aspects of the game, particularly and especially defense. Weber has been showing signs of deterioration for sometime. And as far as I'm aware, Subban's playstyle is more easy to maintain for longevity.

15 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The Predators got out from under a contract which will only become worse with each year for the next decade, and if Montreal bought in on leadership, and other sorts of hero worship, they deserve what they get from it. Unless Subban is drop kicking babies or spiking the Gatorade in the dressing room, this is a clear win for the Preds.

This.  I just think this is dumb for Montreal.   And like I said above, if they were hell bent on trading Subban they should have been able to really address a need and get a top line center or wing.  I don't know that Hall/Subban works straight up (although it IS, apparently, stupid day), but Hall and a pick should have worked.

I just don't like this at all for Montreal.  I like Webber.  I'm not a huge fan of Subban but gotta respect him.   This will end up biting the Habs.   Come to think of it, I do like this trade.

I think within 3-4 years (if not sooner) that Weber contract is going to be the worst in the league. The game is more and more about speed, and Weber has never been the quickest guy around. Now, if Montreal wins a Cup in the next few years, it's probably worth it to them. But I think with the way the game is played now Subban is a much more valuable player. I think he'll be great for Nashville.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This.  I just think this is dumb for Montreal.   And like I said above, if they were hell bent on trading Subban they should have been able to really address a need and get a top line center or wing.  I don't know that Hall/Subban works straight up (although it IS, apparently, stupid day), but Hall and a pick should have worked.

I just don't like this at all for Montreal.  I like Webber.  I'm not a huge fan of Subban but gotta respect him.   This will end up biting the Habs.   Come to think of it, I do like this trade.

Who knows if this is accurate, but connected people at TSN and Sportsnet were saying that the Habs wanted Draisaitl and 4th overall in exchange for Subban, in hopes of drafting Pierre Luc DuBois. Of course, as soon as the Blue Jackets chose him, that deal was off, and the Habs are nearly single-minded in their idiotic pursuit of French Canadian players, as if their fans will quit on them for not having enough on the roster.

The Habs could have had Leon Draisaitl AND Jesse Puljujarvi as well as rid themselves of a player they clearly didn't want to keep.

• Like 1

Rux is right.  Dumb move for Montreal.  You kinda saw this when Therrien threw Subban under the bus after a loss.  Bergevin should have fired Therrien then and there.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

I think within 3-4 years (if not sooner) that Weber contract is going to be the worst in the league. The game is more and more about speed, and Weber has never been the quickest guy around. Now, if Montreal wins a Cup in the next few years, it's probably worth it to them. But I think with the way the game is played now Subban is a much more valuable player. I think he'll be great for Nashville.

Frankly, the still have the wrong coach.  They need to dump him if they even stand a chance.  Seems to me this was Therrien over Subban.  Bad call.

21 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Who knows if this is accurate, but connected people at TSN and Sportsnet were saying that the Habs wanted Draisaitl and 4th overall in exchange for Subban, in hopes of drafting Pierre Luc DuBois. Of course, as soon as the Blue Jackets chose him, that deal was off, and the Habs are nearly single-minded in their idiotic pursuit of French Canadian players, as if their fans will quit on them for not having enough on the roster.

The Habs could have had Leon Draisaitl AND Jesse Puljujarvi as well as rid themselves of a player they clearly didn't want to keep.

Holy crap that's a vastly better move than what they did.  Although @J0e Th0rnton may have had a heart attack.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

Just now, ruxpin said:

Holy crap that's a vastly better move than what they did.  Although @J0e Th0rnton may have had a heart attack.

Indeed. So you don't get the French Candian guy. Big deal. You get a big center AND a player ranked far and away as better than Dubois by everyone except the Blue Jackets. 

• Like 1

more later...

but, If Weber retires before the contract ends the Preds will be charged on the cap $24.571,432 divided by years remaining in recapture penalties according to @generalfanager

Not sure I'm understanding why as this is a 1 for 1 trade straight up.  

All I can say is This outrageous contract could have been the Flyers...  :PopcornSmiley2:

FVONKh9.png

Just now, hf101 said:

All I can say is This outrageous contract could have been the Flyers...  :PopcornSmiley2:

Thankfully, we have Morin, Sanheim, Provorov, and Rubtsov instead. And I was in favor of the move at the time.

• Like 2