Lebrun: Suter is Flyers' #1 target

Guest brelic

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/13743/daily-debate-buyers-or-sellers-in-ottawa

LeBrun: I spoke with Suter’s agent, Neil Sheehy, yesterday, as well as Poile. Both reported the status quo on Suter’s contract talks but said the dialogue continues. Poile’s overwhelming focus over the next month will continue to be just that: getting an extension done with Suter. In the meantime, perhaps there’s something Poile can do to entice Suter to stay on board? The message from Suter and Weber has been the same to the Preds’ front office: Show us that you’re serious about winning. I wonder, if the Preds went out and acquired a rental like wingerAles Hemsky from Edmonton, for example, would that influence Suter in signing an extension?

I think most people around the hockey world assume Suter will be moved if he isn’t signed by Feb. 27, given how Nashville hated the way the Dan Hamhuis situation played out a few years ago, but I think, as you explained above, it’s more complicated than that. I think it really depends on what Poile is offered for Suter. If there’s a trade that helps his team remain competitive, my guess is that he’ll look at it. Take the Philadelphia Flyers as a possible trade partner. I know they have listed Suter as their No. 1 target on their shopping list. If there’s a young forward in the package that can help Nashville now, does Poile jump at it? If the Preds are sitting in a playoff spot come Feb. 27 and the offers for Suter are solely based on draft picks and prospects, I’m not sure Poile can justify it. Tough call, as it always is at this time of year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost to get him would be steep...maybe too steep. But I figure he'd fit under the cap at the expense of someone like Carle or Jagr? I believe we're starting to see Jag's age creep into the equation. ANd while Carle certainly puts up pts, he's going to want 4+ mill and I don't see him worth that here. We need a true work-horse d-man for the future and I just don't see Carle fitting that bill.

@ BobDailey

Did you trade away Carle? Or are you thinking of next season all ready.?

imo, no matter what d-man Holmgren chooses to get they will probably lose one of their d-prospects in Bourdon, Marshall, Gustafsson, or Bartulis.

Everyone talks about having too steep a price for Weber or Suter, but to be honest does anyone think that this Flyers team is a legit Cup contender with this goaltending and defense?

I know no one wants to break up team chemistry or anything, but we need a more balanced team and you have to give to get. If the Flyers can make a move I gotta support it.

@hf101 I dunno 101....Nashville has Blum, Ryan Ellis and that Josi kid...all ranked one, two, three in the organization depth chart....all d-men. I'd say they want goals....goals and more goals in return for Suter.....and maybe draft picks to turn into even more goals.

@Phillygrump

I don't believe even Suter will get us to a Stanley Cup this year. I say ride out the team we have, allow them to gain experience and to mature together next season. This Flyers team has already surpassed my expectations for this season. If we want to be a serious cup contender we have to be patient and foster our young talent. I am sick and tired of watching the Flyers trade away youth for quick fixes.

Suter is an elite defenseman and he is young ,so trading a guy like JVR for him is not a bad move ,considering we are stacked up front and weak on the blueline. Gus and Bourdon are solid young dmen ,but neither is in the caliber of Suter. Of course we can roll the dice and hope that Nashville cant re-sign Suter or Webber and then try and land one as a free agent. In order for us to compete with the Rangers and Bruins ,its imperative to improve our defense. Pronger could be done and even if he comes back, he has been hurt alot over the last few years and Timmo is getting old. We have no means at all to acquire a #1 or #2 dmen other than by a trade. Even if we lucked out in the draft and landed a great guy, it takes 3-4 years for a dman to dominate.

@hf101 I dunno 101....Nashville has Blum, Ryan Ellis and that Josi kid...all ranked one, two, three in the organization depth chart....all d-men. I'd say they want goals....goals and more goals in return for Suter.....and maybe draft picks to turn into even more goals.

He's a pending UFA for the lowest spending team in the league so either him or Shea Weber is certain to be traded. He's probably worth..up to $6MM? It would be a struggle for the Flyers to get him under the cap but it could be done I think. They would have to either resign him before the trade or be damn sure they could get it done. Then, next year, either Pronger would have stay on LTIR indefinitely or they would be really strapped cap wise going into next season. The Preds would probably ask for Schenn or maybe JvR and something else. I'd be surprised if it happened because of the Pronger situation/cap. I hope it doesn't because it doesn't get any more expensive than having to trade for a guy like Suter and them sign him to UFA money.

@Hexy27

Suter/Weber aren't quick fixes Hexy, they are still young and we can get a good 10 years out of them. I would think Homer will find a way to resign them if he does trade for them. If they were in their 30s I would be against trading our young forwards for. Either of them are a legit no.1 dman, which is what we need badly here. Pronger looks like he is done and Timo will be out of gas the way he's been used. I like the other guys here but they aren't consistent enough which is why we are discussing this possibility. Not every year you get a chance to acquire a young no.1 dman in this league.

If Homer can somehow get one of those guys, I would flip Carle for picks, prospects or let him walk at the end of the year. When Timo's contract ends after next season, I'm sure we can find a dman that can fill Carle's skates. To fit either guy in our cap, Carle and Jagr can be let go after this season. I would love to have Jagr back but don't think we will win the Cup in this year or next so we can let the kids develop.

How would we fit Suter cap wise.....and I'm a bit worried about what we would potentially give up to get him.

We would have to give up a lot, I am afraid. Less than what we woudl have to give up for Weber, obviously, but still a lot. I woudl imagine any trade talk of this nature has Schenn's and/or JVR's names mentioned. Possibly even Couturier's. And I am guessing they would also want a d-man back to fill teh void... so probably Coburn or Meszaros.

As much as it would be great to land someone like Suter, I just don't know if it will help the team overall.

Remember Boumeister,Hamhuis, Homer couldn't live without them. Homer has acquired some decent players from Nashville,none,I repeat none were franchise players. As goalies go the Flyers are se for this season,the price for a good "D" man,too high,If Homer has to make a trade,Ryan Getzlaf would be the best choice to boost the team NOW!

I think the price of either of those guys will be too steep for what i would want to pay, i think we've got a good young corps of players here that like playing together, i don't trade schenn or couturier for the right to try to sign one of these guys. those 2 will be ready for more minutes when Danny Briere's contract is up and the drop off from him to either of them might not be a drop off.

i'd love to have either suter or weber , even pk subban for a long time and i'd be okay with spending only money and having a large portion of the cap tied up by them... i would hate to see us deal one of the prized centerman to land them.

even pk subban for a long time and i'd be okay with spending only money and having a large portion of the cap tied up by them

In no way, shape or form do I want PK Subban wearing the O&B. The guy is a jack off of the likes of Avery. He is a problem that this team does not need.

In no way, shape or form do I want PK Subban wearing the O&B. The guy is a jack off of the likes of Avery. He is a problem that this team does not need.

I doubt he is available but I would take him in a nanosecond. We could use his skill set right about now. He shot off his mouth but I never thought he was a bad apple and he seems to have grown up a bit in the meantime. He's entitled to make a few mistakes, IMO.

@flyerrod

i wonder if we think he's an ass because he's not on our team....

i think like terp he's got a great skill set and is only going to improve , he has the skills to be a number 1 guy no question. I haven't heard anything about him being a bad teammate...and like a healthy sidney crosby , he's too good a player for me to say never because of his behavior.

@terp

I thought I saw Subban was going to be an RFA this year, his rookie deal is expiring.

@ BobDailey

Did you trade away Carle? Or are you thinking of next season all ready.?

imo, no matter what D-man Holmgren chooses to get they will probably lose one of their d-prospects in Bourdon, Marshall, Gustafsson, or Bartulis.

Bartulis sounds good to me

@Mad Dog - really, you think PK Subban would be cheap? What makes you say that? I think he would cost plenty. Not Suter-plenty, but plenty.

I guess it was just comparatively speaking... When you have to consider Weber pretty much a pipe dream, and thinking that the Flyers absoolutgely *have* to add a quality D-man, PK would be cheaper than either Weber or Suter. I think JVR and a 1st round may do it, while to get Weber or Suter, Homer would have to give up considerably more.

PK is actually having a so-so season. Despite the bravado, he's having a very average year. But he is still better than anybody we have (play-wise at least) not named Timonen, so this would be a good time to buy low.

The only way I can see a high quality Dman coming in is for Carle (UFA) or some similar salary (and why trade Mesz/Coburn at good numbers?) to go the other way.

And probably two of them (the other being a quality F as NSH is seeking goal scoring)

Even then, it wouldn't be simple to fit another $5-6M Dman into the salary structure given Pronger's situation.

After next season, with Timonen coming off the books, things open up a little.

i think like terp he's got a great skill set and is only going to improve , he has the skills to be a number 1 guy no question.

i always got the impression that while he is/was a wunderkind on the offensive side, he was a defensive disaster waiting to happen. always got a brian mccabe kind of vibe. no?