Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

6 hours ago, tucson83 said:

if they strip the c or trade giroux, you think kevin hayes would be a good candidate for captain since he would listen to av and has good relationship with his players?

It should be someone drafted and developed by the Flyers at this point. I'd go with either Provorov or Konecny, but leaning more towards Ivan. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd go with either Provorov or Konecny

After TK shat performance this playoffs no way in hell i am giving it to him.

I am scared to give it to Ivan i'm afraid of the pressure it could add to his already full plate.

And at this point Laughton is a better option than Giroux, so i go with the safe option i'm afraid and just give it to Coots.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think a lot can be learned from these Islanders....look how far they have came once hey shipped Tavares off.

So Flyer fans let's not be afraid to say goodbye to your Captain...look at the Islanders two years later...better off without him.

Think about that for a minute and stop looking at just stats...stop being a b!tch and chop off the arm to save the body.

Can you???? Will you???

I was pretty disappointed last night. 

That loss sucked, but the Islanders were/are better, the Flyers had not beaten Isles since before last March. They don't suck.

So I wanted to wait a little before visited the site today. I was sure I'd see a lot of takes I disagree with and knew there would be better ways to spend a lovely summer day than arguing over my favorite hockey team with someone who is also a fan of my hockey team.

'

But I did want to address you on a couple of points. 

First, I made no excuses in my post last night. I was making a couple of statements that are true. 

The better team won, this season cannot not be viewed as anything other than a success especially compared to the last 8 years. 

There should be no argument about this.

There is of course lots of discussion to be made about how to make the team better.  Those are discussions I like participating in and a reason to come to the site, @elmatus summed it up nicely on page 31.

Second, this post I quoted here is not the slam dunk addition by subtraction corollary you think it is.  

Tavares chose to play for another team. Said, " yeah, thanks, but these guys in Toronto are better and they're my boy hood team, and look a their young guys". This was something to rally around, and Barry Trotz being the shrewd coach he is, used it. The team coalesced around  Tavares choosing to play with other teammates.  Trading Giroux for whatever won't have the galvanizing effect Tavares' FA signing did.

We don't see eye to eye on leadership, a team with bad leadership quits after game 4 when they played well and lost. This one didn't this one kept scraping. A whole lot of guys on this team didn't play well, some of it is inexperience, some is aging players, some of it is icetime, much of it is the Islanders suck to play against. The Flyers were not the better team the last two weeks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

arguing

First off let's not. I don't have the energy, nor do i have all or maybe any answers. Just frustration right now. 

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I was pretty disappointed last night. 

Yes you're not alone i over done it with the bourbon afterwards and have paid for it when i awoke today.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That loss sucked, but the Islanders were/are better

Again we agree and i even was man enough to say this to musky last night....they took the Flyers behind the woodshed last night.

I thought there was a huge chance they would lose last night after fighting back to force a game 7. I guess it was how they lost that really stoked me. 9 shots in two periods...16 for the whole game....never would i have thought they would come out and lay an egg the size they did last night.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

We don't see eye to eye on leadership

Yes we agree to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Trading Giroux for whatever won't have the galvanizing effect Tavares' FA signing did.

At this point it's your opinion that for one can't be proven so i'm not about to get into a my opinion is better than yours discussion.

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

A whole lot of guys on this team didn't play well

For sure as well as the power play coaching was down right terrible. As long as i have watched the Flyers i can't remember a worse power play.

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The Flyers were not the better team the last two weeks. 

And this is certain...in fact not to discredit the Flyers but i think they just took advantage of some rusty teams in the round robin.

And i myself at the time wondered if they would have been better off as just just the 4th seed with something to prove rather than winning the #1 seed and getting full of themselves.

I am wondering most which one of these Flyers teams is for real??? The one we seen play lights out before the stoppage or the one we all seen disappoint getting bounced in the first round.

Regardless i am glad the kids: Hart, Provorov, Sanheim, Lindblom, Farabee, NAK, Laughton and Myers the kids of the future got a taste of were their game needs to be if they want to go further in the hardest playoffs of all the sports.

What is to become of this team this offseason remains to be seen.

All i know i do not want Giroux, JVR and Jake to all three come back to this team...i would love two of the three to be gone...but i will have to accept if only one of the 3 is shown the door.

With the hard cap coming and some of the kid's needing new deals at the end of next year some of this huge salaries need to be spread around to them and start trimming some dead weight.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

18 hours ago, elmatus said:

The Flyers weren't just beaten, they were outclassed by a significant margin.

This in a nutshell is what i wasn't expecting.

And i hope the answers as to why are found before next year starts and is addressed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am wondering most which one of these Flyers teams is for real??? The one we seen play lights out before the stoppage or the one we all seen disappoint getting bounced in the first round.

For me the question above is the one I keep thinking about. The team from the regular season and the team from the playoffs looked like two completely different squads. Same players, same coaches, Jekyll & Hyde on ice performance. There were maybe 60 total minutes of hockey between the MTL and NYI series when the Flyers kinda looked like themselves. WTF happened, and which of these realities is for real? 

The Playoff Flyers seemed to either not be trying (coaching?) or not be able (players? conditioning?) to play the kind of hockey that made the Regular Season Flyers so good and so much fun to watch. Even though they were semi-meaningless tune ups the Round Robin Flyers still looked like the Regular Season Flyers. So was it the added pressure and intensity of the playoffs that just overwhelmed them, they just didn’t respond to? Seems like too simplistic an answer but what else do you all think explains the night & day difference?

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

The team from the regular season and the team from the playoffs looked like two completely different squads.

Laughton said specifically that you can't take the momentum building in the regular season and still have it after months off. Simply put, they were not the same sqaud.

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

The Playoff Flyers seemed to either not be trying (coaching?)

It was not coaching. Certainly not the head coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

First off let's not. I don't have the energy, nor do i have all or maybe any answers. Just frustration right now. 

Yes you're not alone i over done it with the bourbon afterwards and have paid for it when i awoke today.

Again we agree and i even was man enough to say this to musky last night....they took the Flyers behind the woodshed last night.

I thought there was a huge chance they would lose last night after fighting back to force a game 7. I guess it was how they lost that really stoked me. 9 shots in two periods...16 for the whole game....never would i have thought they would come out and lay an egg the size they did last night.

Yes we agree to disagree. 

At this point it's your opinion that for one can't be proven so i'm not about to get into a my opinion is better than yours discussion.

For sure as well as the power play coaching was down right terrible. As long as i have watched the Flyers i can't remember a worse power play.

And this is certain...in fact not to discredit the Flyers but i think they just took advantage of some rusty teams in the round robin.

And i myself at the time wondered if they would have been better off as just just the 4th seed with something to prove rather than winning the #1 seed and getting full of themselves.

Regardless i am glad the kids: Hart, Provorov, Sanheim, Lindblom, Farabee, NAK, Laughton and Myers the kids of the future got a taste of were their game needs to be if they want to go further in the hardest playoffs of all the sports.

All i know i do not want Giroux, JVR and Jake to all three come back to this team...i would love two of the three to be gone...but i will have to accept if only one of the 3 is shown the door.

With the hard cap coming and some of the kid's needing new deals at the end of next year some of this huge salaries need to be spread around to them and start trimming some dead weight.

Completely agree with you. Unfortunately, the team did not show enough efforts, speed and class in game 7. 16 shots just a ridiculous number for that crucial game of the round 2 these playoffs. An example, how the team should fight , was a Colorado team, which made in their loss in game 7  44 shots and placed 4 goals towards an opposite net. From my observation these playoffs also showed how important and how difficult  for goalies are redirected shots towards the net. The team who is successful the most in that task having more success in their results too.  

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This in a nutshell is what i wasn't expecting.

And i hope the answers as to why are found before next year starts and is addressed.

They beat us in every aspect and they are a far better balanced team than us, especially up front. They have more skill, size and toughness than we have. They controlled the puck ,forechecked us into the ice , out hit us and when they had the puck, they dominated possession and moved the puck around at will. They took passes and created chances on the fly and with great speed. Their transition from defense to offense was, tic tac toe and out of the zone and on the attack, cycling, drop passes, winning all the puck battles and having their big wingers in front of our net.,etc. It looked like they were on the PP even when they were not. 

They beat us in the finesse game and in the physical game. We had no cohesiveness , there was no creativity in our plays, everything was a scramble , we couldn’t even complete a couple of clean passes or make a transition . We constantly had to circle back and regroup to try and move the puck. It was a far more decisive beating than 7 games would indicate.  They owned us. We have a great young goalie and good young defensemen, although Meyers and Sanhiem need to hit the weights and we could use a good rugged ,defensive dman to replace Braun.  We need some big wingers with skill and some guys who can actually score some goals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

They beat us in every aspect and they are a far better balanced team than us, especially up front. They have more skill, size and toughness than we have. They controlled the puck ,forechecked us into the ice , out hit us and when they had the puck, they dominated possession and moved the puck around at will. They took passes and created chances on the fly and with great speed. Their transition from defense to offense was, tic tac toe and out of the zone and on the attack, cycling, drop passes, winning all the puck battles and having their big wingers in front of our net.,etc. It looked like they were on the PP even when they were not. 

They beat us in the finesse game and in the physical game. We had no cohesiveness , there was no creativity in our plays, everything was a scramble , we couldn’t even complete a couple of clean passes or make a transition . We constantly had to circle back and regroup to try and move the puck. It was a far more decisive beating than 7 games would indicate.  They owned us. We have a great young goalie and good young defensemen, although Meyers and Sanhiem need to hit the weights and we could use a good rugged ,defensive dman to replace Braun.  We need some big wingers with skill and some guys who can actually score some goals.

I agree well said. Saves me a lot of typing. Nothing more to really say except i wonder how the Flyer brass viewed it.

Did they see the same thing we all did???

And the biggest question what are they going to do about it to help this team be able to compete with the top teams left.

I can't see them getting this lucky again like they did the first round this year...Hart stole two games you can't always count on goaltending to steal you games.

You must find the guys who can put the puck in the net...and do better keeping it out their own.

Guess we'll see soon they have many good pieces to build around but this roster needs to purge some pieces to take the next step.

10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We have a great young goalie and good young defensemen

Man Miro Heiskanen sure would have looked real good in orange and black with Ivan, Sanheim and Myers instead of the Patrick pick.

That kid has 21 points in 16 games so far these playoffs....oh well get well Patrick Flyers could still use....

On 9/6/2020 at 5:56 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I agree with your first point, the young players got a real taste of what playoff hockey is all about which is a good thing. As for Giroux, Jake and JVR, I'd love to see 2 of them gone and replaced by young players. The Flyers have a good young core they just have to grow together. Hopefully the Islanders get bounced by the Lightning!

On 9/6/2020 at 5:31 PM, OccamsRazor said:
On 9/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd go with either Provorov or Konecny

After TK shat performance this playoffs no way in hell i am giving it to him.

That's the same type of thinking that got them where they are today.  They gave Giroux the C based on his play.   I'm not saying they should give it to TK but it shouldn't be based on one post season's play.  

22 minutes ago, Digityman said:

but it shouldn't be based on one post season's play.  

Oh trust me it's not it's after two different playoff runs.

TK has 1 goal in 22 playoff game.

As I said no way in hell I'd give it to him.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh trust me it's not it's after two different playoff runs.

TK has 1 goal in 22 playoff game.

As I said no way in hell I'd give it to him.

I think G only has 1 goal in like 26 or 27 playoff games and he is wearing the C. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Konecny should be captain, but neither should Giroux.

6 minutes ago, trevluk said:

I think G only has 1 goal in like 26 or 27 playoff games and he is wearing the C. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Konecny should be captain, but neither should Giroux.

Exactly let's not repeat the mistake...

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 11:17 AM, musky said:

islanders future

Congrats on the victory. 

Until Sorokin does anything in the NHL he's just another KHL goalie. He's also 25, which isn't old for a goalie by any means but if he's going to come you'd think it better be soon.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Congrats on the victory. 

Until Sorokin does anything in the NHL he's just another KHL goalie. He's also 25, which isn't old for a goalie by any means but if he's going to come you'd think it better be soon.

he,s already here.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

That Islanders team that just dominated the Flyers 4-0 just got waxed 8-2 by the Bolts.

I'll wait for the inevitable "reasons" that "doesn't really mean anything".

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I noticed the Stars have their Captain on the 4th line tonight. Interesting. Accountability who knew....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, musky said:

he,s already here.

technically yes and technically no...

he DID sign a 1 yr contract to be on  the Islanders for 2020-21 season... HOWEVER... He’s ineligible to play during the current playoffs. So in reality he has NOT played in a NHL game yet...so technically FC is correct.  It will only be a matter of time before he does.

Come the start of new season I would expect Greiss to be gone and Sorokin backing up Varly and then eventually taking over as the #1 goalie.

• Like 1