Couts extended

sekkes85

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Apologies on Couturier -- did the math wrong. Six year deal carries $4.33M AAV.</p>— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) <a href="https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/626129581913808896">July28, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that's a great value signing. Cost certainty. Not overpaid. And if they decide to down the road-that's a moveable contract. Unlike the ridiculous deals to VLC, MacDonald, etc that Homer gave out.

I like what he did for Canada this year. I think with the proper coaching he can be a legitimate offensive threat that will play 200 ft of hockey. I think in a few years this contract is going to be a bargain.

Well done Hextall, it finally looks like there is a long term plan to this club.

Wow I was certain they would go 3 years to keep him under contract and still be a RFA. $4.3 is paying for potential in him increasing his offensive game (which I think will come). I'm a fan of this, hopefully the kid will continue to grow.

Beat me to it Murray...

Sorry pods.... I am a big fan of this kid and glad he is locked up. Although, I am pretty certain this is a kick in the ass to B Schenn. With Jake getting a large deal I don't see Schenn getting a long term deal. Obviously that could change with a move or two...

I do not think BS is in the plans here... could be wrong. This is the year BS needs to earn an extention. He is a good player and is decent in most aspects of the game but not a master of any real talent.

4.33 Million over six years? Color me surprised. I like Couturier quite a bit and think he has more offensive potential than he's shown, but would have liked him to show a bit more on that end before committing to that term and number. Those are numbers for a second line center who produces about 20 points more. Couturier's excellent defense mitigates some of the expected offensive production, but I think based on his total body of work, it's an overpayment. Hextall is banking on quite a bit of growth here. Why rush, when Couturier was an RFA after the season?  I'm not really against the signing, more puzzled. Is there another shoe dropping here in the next day or two?

20 to 25 goals - 30 to 35 assists should be the numbers we see from Couturier this year. We all know he's good defensively and Hakstoll knows he's good defensively, so I see Hakstoll using him in more offensive situations, especially for face offs and the likes. I'm also hoping that they keep Schenn on the right wing and use Umberger on the left side. Colour me optimistic, but with Umberger healing up from the hip and abdomen surgeries he had, I think he can still be a 20 goal/40 point guy that can play good defense, which will allow for Couturier and Schenn to be a little more adventurous offensively. Anyways, great deal by Hextall. Even if Couturier only becomes a 40 to 45 point guy, having an elite defensive player on the roster is a must. I still think Couturier can be a Patrice Bergeron clone, but I'd settle for Antoine Vermette (a highly underrated player in his own right).

not bad.

6 year deal with $4.33M AAV according to generalfanager

$3.75M, $4M, $4.25M, $4.5M, $4.75M, $4.75M

Love the signing, he's working towards being a very good two-way player. As Brayden Schenn, I guess it's put up or shut up year for him if he wants an extension. Wouldn't be surprised if Hexie packages him and his brother at a deadline deal.

I like what he did for Canada this year. I think with the proper coaching he can be a legitimate offensive threat that will play 200 ft of hockey. I think in a few years this contract is going to be a bargain.

Well done Hextall, it finally looks like there is a long term plan to this club.

Bargain or not, it shows good faith on both sides.Coots signed his last contract before the season, maybe to  low, but again it shows that he cares about hockey more than bucks, and wants to be a Flyer for the future. Good for the Flyers rewarding him. This signing when looking at the 2016/2017 Flyers cap suggests that there are going to be multiple changes ahead for the O&B. The next two years are ripe for our recent draft picks upward mobility. 

Bye bye Brayden Schenn....

Love this... queue all the "but his skating" posters....

BSchenn at the very least knows where he stands now. I'm interested to what this deal does for re-signing Jake though.

Clearly Hakstol and Hextall have conversed about Coots' future and both see a plan unfolding.

I like that.

coots will literally be in his prime when this deal is up which leaves him open to all sorts of interesting possibilities. I like that too.

Concurred about cap space now though. Unless there's a VLC, Umberger, MacDonald plan, which this suggests to me there is.

I'll start with my optimistic view on this. I'm sure Hextal and Hakstol discussed this at great length. Maybe Hakstol convinced Hextal that coots will play a huge roll in his system. If it went down like this, maybe it will be a bargain in a couple of years.

As some of you may remember though, I'm not a big fan of #14 (can't even spell his name). I don't believe in handing out a 6 year contract to a guy that has trouble skating (there ya go...I said it), has had trouble scoring, and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

If you have great expectations, why not offer 3 years and see what happens?

Maybe it's just me but I don't put that much importance on a strictly defensive forward. I believe in offensive forwards that are also responsible in their own zone.

Greetings:

I agree with FC that length is one or two years more than expected/desired but 4.4 is reasonable for a guy with upside.  I suspect the Schenns and "other" get moved ASAP.  If not mistaken they can go 10 percent over cap during the summer, correct?  Something has to give.

Meanwhile, our buddy Hexy does things that seem reasonable.  We have something to cheer about during a quiet summer.

Howie

Like the deal for the Flyers. Keeping a hard work ethic and somebody who knows how to conduct himslef like a pro. It's a solid deal, whether he shows some offensive flair and plays 2nd line, or settles into a defensive role and secures the 3rd line. In a few short years, 4.3 for a checking line center will be a nice deal....so a win/win by the Flyers. No doubt Hakstol had some input here, you don't sign a guy to a 6 year deal without consulting your brand new coach, so I like the idea he is a fan of Cooter.

Archived