whom had enough of watching these Flyers?

phlfly

On 12/31/2022 at 6:39 PM, ruxpin said:

The problem is that they are server-based and not cloud.

um.  do you not think "cloud" situations are on servers?  Of course they are on servers.  Or, more exactly, appliances.  Regardless.  It's only a question of who owns the farm your sh|t is running on.  "Not cloud" = you run it, "cloud" = someone else runs it for you.  I hate "the cloud".  Everything is worse on "the cloud".  And someone else has admin access to your stuff.

Says a security guy for highly regulated company that is looking to move all of their data "to the cloud".  Which means off of our NAS appliances and onto Google's.  And opening Excel takes 45 seconds because they can't be assed to let us run local client versions.

edit:  sorry for the OT rant.  Just really hate "the cloud."  In most cases it is losing direct and restricted control of your data in exchange for cheaper storage, in the rest it is just reverting to a mainframe/terminal situation that we outgrew 40 years ago.  Hate the cloud.

Edited by aziz
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, aziz said:

um.  do you not think "cloud" situations are on servers?  Of course they are on servers.  Or, more exactly, appliances.  Regardless.  It's only a question of who owns the farm your sh|t is running on.  "Not cloud" = you run it, "cloud" = someone else runs it for you.  I hate "the cloud".  Everything is worse on "the cloud".  And someone else has admin access to your stuff.

Says a security guy for highly regulated company that is looking to move all of their data "to the cloud".  Which means off of our NAS appliances and onto Google's.  And opening Excel takes 45 seconds because they can't be assed to let us run local client versions.

edit:  sorry for the OT rant.  Just really hate "the cloud."  In most cases it is losing direct and restricted control of your data in exchange for cheaper storage, in the rest it is just reverting to a mainframe/terminal situation that we outgrew 40 years ago.  Hate the cloud.

Yes, but the point to my post was they have reduced redundancy and don't have a viable backup option.  It's a brittle architecture to begin with and dipshit fraud is just pulling plugs with not the slightest idea what he's doing.   He's a fraud. He should run for Congress in NY3.  They like that there.

Edited by ruxpin

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes, but the point to my post was they have reduced redundancy and don't have a viable backup option.  It's a brittle architecture to begin with and dipshit fraud is just pulling plugs with not the slightest idea what he's doing.   He's a fraud. He should run for Congress in NY3.  They like that there.

Understood.  Though, I am not sure the guy doesn't have a plan.  The plan just may not have a goal anyone has considered.  I'm not suggesting I have any idea myself, sure looks like a train wreck to me.  But.  When you are talking about a guy that started a global person to person currency exchange, then started a civilian rocket company, then pioneered EVs, then revolutionized battery technology, then started designing and deploying thousands of low-cost global communications satellites, then started an AI company, then started a company working on neuro-machine interfaces, then started a company exploring cheap tunneling solutions, hard to really call him a fraud, or assume he doesn't have a plan.  Complete narcist weirdo, sure, but when a single dude has moved THAT many needles THAT far, he has some kind of plan.  The plan might very well be to destroy Twitter, but it's still a plan.  Or it could be something else entirely.  Dunno, but it's something.

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Don't completely agree with the cloud assessment either, but don't really want to go down that because it wasn't central to my point about fraud boy and his flushing $44B because he's too stupid for words.

no worries, not the time or place, anyway.  Just a sore spot, as we begin offloading all of our data storage from internally managed appliances, with strict and comprehensive security and audit controls in place, to "the cloud", where we'll have essentially zero control or oversight.  And the Fed already really really hates us.

• Like 1

Will anytime get better ? That is import question. Looking at standing Flyers is still trying collect some points and that is setting them to as 7th round pick, that is not great at all. 

That is going last several years until be lucky draft/trade. 

Just look at a very talent team like Edmonton - still being a wild card team. That is just one example, so with current Flyers management can be last for long time, before Flyers can even smell playoff game. Sad that is really bad feeling

1 hour ago, phlfly said:

Will anytime get better ? That is import question. Looking at standing Flyers is still trying collect some points and that is setting them to as 7th round pick, that is not great at all. 

That is going last several years until be lucky draft/trade. 

Just look at a very talent team like Edmonton - still being a wild card team. That is just one example, so with current Flyers management can be last for long time, before Flyers can even smell playoff game. Sad that is really bad feeling

I want the Flyers to keep losing not get more points. I hope there is a hockey god and the Blackhawks finish dead last but it's the Flyers who end up with the 1st overall pick (Bedard) to make up for the 2007 draft when the Flyers lost Patrick Kane.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

They're up 2-0 versus the Ducks in Anaheim tonight. Start the parade. :bigteeth: 

Ruin the chances of getting Bedard, and start the parade.

We all knew it was going to happen i think that is why i hate them so much...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 12/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, ruxpin said:

I'm serious, though.   Keith Allen was the best GM and senior leadership the Flyers had and architect of two cups.   He was GM until '83.  Clarke took over and made some important moves early.  The 80s teams were terrific and missed the gold ring only because of the Edmonton powerhouse.  That was still largely Allen's doing with some decent tweaking from Clarke.

Since 1989 the team stunk and then after LIndros and until the lockout, the team was good but fatally flawed in its construction.   Still good but fatally flawed through the 2010 Finals.   Then, not good and fatally flawed ever since.

REC was my hockey hero as a kid growing up playing. He made a few good moves as GM and had a couple of good drafts. He also showed his first crack as an asset management GM when he got pissy with Brad McCrimmon. The beast should have retired as a Flyer. We all sadly know what happened later on.  

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

@flyercanuck

that was just plain sick ....  if he develops like all the experts expect him to ...he will be fun to watch in the NHL .....

He also hit a couple posts that game, and made some seeing eye passes that should have ended up in the net. His assist was a thing a beauty.

Slovakias goalie, who started the tournament as their 3rd string, played an unbelievable game stopping 52 shots, a lot of them that should have ended up in the net. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I want the Flyers to keep losing not get more points. I hope there is a hockey god and the Blackhawks finish dead last but it's the Flyers who end up with the 1st overall pick (Bedard) to make up for the 2007 draft when the Flyers lost Patrick Kane.

Dont worry, we just beat some of the worst teams in the league. As soon as we face real competition we will start to lose again . Once the deadline  hits , we will start to unload some players and start to play some of the Phantoms. Rookie mistakes can lead to alot of losses when you are the lowest scoring team in the league. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Dont worry, we just beat some of the worst teams in the league. As soon as we face real competition we will start to lose again . Once the deadline  hits , we will start to unload some players and start to play some of the Phantoms. Rookie mistakes can lead to alot of losses when you are the lowest scoring team in the league. 

One can only hope that's the case!

13 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

REC was my hockey hero as a kid growing up playing. He made a few good moves as GM and had a couple of good drafts. He also showed his first crack as an asset management GM when he got pissy with Brad McCrimmon. The beast should have retired as a Flyer. We all sadly know what happened later on.  

That was one of the biggest mistakes Clarke ever made. McCrimmon and Howe were duo that  we haven't come close to duplicating ever since. In the 86 season Howe was a plus 85 and McCrimmon plus 83. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

This team can't even tank properly to get the 1st overall pick, pathetic.

nothing personal @Lindbergh31 but…

… I don’t understand why there’s so many posts like this one. I really don’t. Everyone knows that finishing dead last nets about a 20% chance of picking first. That’s it, 20 or maybe 21%. Are 1 in 5 odds really worth playing a whole season, 82 games’ worth, trying to lose as many as possible? 

Even if you could get management on board …. which would never happen … I guess there’s just 2 players in the entire NHL who’d go along with sabotaging their own team’s effort to win. Now just because they both happen to play for the Flyers this year (🤮) is still no reason to pretend “tanking” is anything more than a silly pipe dream. 

Unless they’re crazy-lucky, which they’ve never once been on draft day, the only way the Flyers get the #1 pick is if they trade for it. And god help us if it’s Fletcher doing the negotiating. Oh he’ll get Bedard alright but if you think the Flyers’ future is mortgaged now … 

52 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

… I don’t understand why there’s so many posts like this one. I really don’t. Everyone knows that finishing dead last nets about a 20% chance of picking first. That’s it, 20 or maybe 21%. Are 1 in 5 odds really worth playing a whole season, 82 games’ worth, trying to lose as many as possible? 

Even if you could get management on board …. which would never happen … I guess there’s just 2 players in the entire NHL who’d go along with sabotaging their own team’s effort to win. Now just because they both happen to play for the Flyers this year (🤮) is still no reason to pretend “tanking” is anything more than a silly pipe dream. 

Unless they’re crazy-lucky, which they’ve never once been on draft day, the only way the Flyers get the #1 pick is if they trade for it. And god help us if it’s Fletcher doing the negotiating. Oh he’ll get Bedard alright but if you think the Flyers’ future is mortgaged now … 

Tanking doesn't necessarily have to mean trying to get your players on board with losing. Of course you'd have a hard time doing that, other than with the Haysee crew. It could (ok, stay with me here, cause I know our management could never think of doing this) mean trading away your veteran players for picks/prospects so your team just isn't that good. Taking a shot in a year there's a guy like Bedard wouldn't be the dumbest thing you could do. The dumbest thing you could do is, well, exactly what Fletcher has been doing since he got there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think he is being more sarcastic than anything else.  A bit more tongue in cheek.  Even though this is a deep draft there is a huge difference in drafting even at #2/#3 compared to drafting at #8/#9.

image.png.8d11ddc799114c7cdfa8104ac9610d39.png

Here are the current odds.   Knowing the Flyers they will go on one of there patented runs near the end of the season they will finish in the 10-12 range and miss out on getting a chance on an impact player.  Don't forget this stupid brain trust TRADED AWAY there 2nd RD pick in this years draft.

image.thumb.png.f66fe98e9aebae87b14540c782eba334.png

Oh that's right ....they traded that pick for that wonderful stiff better known as Risto and his over payed contract.  The gift that keeps on giving.  When all the other GM's knew this was going to be a deep draft our brain dead GM traded the #2 pick away.

Here is the BIG BOARD as of now .....

image.png.d8e3b0532d415fd3556a267f8e4820a0.png

Granted ..even if the Flyers miss out on Bedard, the likes of Fantilli / Carlsson / Michkov could be wonderful consolation prizes.  As it stands now the flyers would miss out on those players as well.  Will Smith listed #5 would still be a great pick along with Yager #9.  I'm still researching all the other players.

So in essence, the Flyers have to nail their 1st RD pick.  Drafting 2-5 guarantees an impact player.  So yeah he is being a bit tongue in cheek sarcastic about how the Flyers can't even tank right, but history has proven when the Flyers are bad they always go a small run to push them away from the better players. And yes there is no guarantees in drafting said players..... However, I like the Flyers drafting in the 2-5 range better than drafting 9-12.   Especially since the Flyers have NO #2 this year  ....(IDIOTS)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

the only way the Flyers get the #1 pick is if they trade for it.

Just try to begin to envision the package the Flyers could put together to get the #1 overall pick.

There isn't a desperate, moribund franchise who would deal away the... Sweet Jeebus, think what Fletcher thinks HE could get for Bedard!

#retool

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It could (ok, stay with me here, cause I know our management could never think of doing this) mean trading away your veteran players for picks/prospects so your team just isn't that good.

True - and it's a legitimate way of beginning to rebuild. Of course the Flyers' veterans are not exactly in ... ahem... high demand... but hell yes I would love to dump them all and take whatever we get - just to get rid of them. The Flyers won't lose more games with them gone...but at least they'd be gone.

• Like 2