Who would you Keep?

13 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

None that wasn't apparent on the first day of the season my friend.

The only ones who didn't know it were in the front office and on this board

I mean, you know everything, sure. But for the rest of us who don't have a time machine. 

I think we learned about Sam Ersson, Morgan Frost, Tyson Foerster playing in the NHL.

Cam York showed something this season, as did Travis Sanhiem, that contract isn't so awful looking now.

Ryan Poehling, who knew? he was much better than I expected. 

I didn't expect Tyson Foerster to be as good of a forechecker as he turned into, I also didn't expect to see him score 20 in his first year. 

I think many people thought Carter Hart's fate was going to be known prior to the season. It took a long time for those charges to come out. 

When there was no announcement, and the season began, I think it made that whole situation weirdly unmanageable. 

I'm hoping they can improve their draft position over remaining games and escape the season without ruining Jamie Drysdale or, since he's here until the aliens come to squash us like bugs, Sean Couturier. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm hoping they can improve their draft position over remaining games and escape the season without ruining Jamie Drysdale or, since he's here until the aliens come to squash us like bugs, Sean Couturier.

Spectacular. Yours is the Comment Of The Day. 🤣 🏆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is not an accurate statement. 

True story he went to the bosses and said, I want more offensive responsibility and 2 years later he won a Selke trophy.

Before he had the back injuries he was a stud.

His skating was not great, but he scored, made his linemates better and when he was on the ice the Flyers had the puck and were creating scoring chances. 

Had his back injuries not happened, he would definitely be a valuable asset to jump start a rebuild. 

That's not where we are though.

I know I'm in the minority here, but his career has always been somewhat of a disappointment to me. And that's not a thing with numbers, but more of a feel. He had a good rookie season, a few not so great seasons, then in about a 3-5 year period he started producing and won the selkie. Then he started to decline, got injured, and we are where we are today.

So I feel like the majority of his career has been a disappointment and I don't want him leading my team. And since he's not going to get better, my disdain for him grows, and I (maybe unfairly) put a lot of blame on him. I wish he would just go away.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2024 at 1:49 PM, mojo1917 said:

What would your list be?

#1 who mans the net.

#2 Where do they find center help. 

And many will want to flip these and i wouldn't argue.

# 3 how do they improve the defense.

I am breaking them down like this and i think this will address most of the issues.

Head coach is huge too

:smileyandcomputer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

This is an interesting thread but it presupposes the Flyers are a regular NHL team with regular problems. I'm not sure they are; their problems seem deeper to me than who's on the roster and who's the HC. Maybe I'm overreacting to the blowouts, maybe I'm finally catching on that the Senior Advisors' stink is still all over this club. All I know is a team that rolls over like that has serious issues. They're playing even worse than they did in Giroux's final season. I thought for sure that was rock bottom but it wasn't.

So it's hard for me to imagine regular, normal changes doing much good. I wish I knew what would.

@GratefulFlyers

amazing what an .875 save percentage, injuries and clown-show histrionics can do.

The business with Couturier was/is really puzzling to me.  

Not sure what the desired outcome was, but alienating the only top 6 centerman on the team couldn't have been near the top of the list.

29 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@GratefulFlyers

amazing what an .875 save percentage, injuries and clown-show histrionics can do.

The business with Couturier was/is really puzzling to me.  

Not sure what the desired outcome was, but alienating the only top 6 centerman on the team couldn't have been near the top of the list.

For weeks now Ersson has not been very good but we all know Save% and GAA are team numbers. I'm not exonerating him or Fedotov, not at all. I still think (hope) Ersson can be a reliable NHL starter but he's obviously not one now.

"clown-show histrionics" - you're referring to benching Couturier? So soon after naming him captain was absurd, made Tortorella look stupid I agree. OTOH did anyone think Couturier was earning even 4th line minutes? I can't get too worked up about it. I'm sure his feelings were hurt but "alienated" good god I hope not.

btw that .875 is a gigantic reason for the collapse - and it is on the goalies. Hart's departure marks the turning point where Ersson was 17-3 I think with a .930 and afterwards he's 9-13. I'm guessing at his W/L record but it should be close.

The Flyers had a huge strength with Hart/Ersson. The Flyers' game - the transition game, where they did 90% of their damage to the opposition - keyed off good goaltending. When that became a liability it all snowballed downhill. The quick outs disappeared, led to fewer goals off the rush, plus now the opposition gets to play half the rink instead of starting behind their own net.

Bad goaltending - Hart leaving - doesn't explain it but it's a huge part of what we're seeing...except for the Montreal game. God only knows what explains that.

53 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

except for the Montreal game. God only knows what explains that.

I don't know if anyone else noticed...but I sure did...their 1st overall draft pick scored a hat trick! 

But we don't need that on our blue collar "we don't need no stinking stars" it's our way or the highway 1975 or bust club!

19 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

With one year remaining, NOT buying out Atkinson would be GM incompetence. Open a spot for a youngster, spread out the cap hit and the fans don't have to see 20+ games without a goal again. Easy peasy. 

image.png

Incompetence, indeed!

Save $2.5M in Y1, costs $1.7M in Y2.

It would not surprise me to see him on the roster next year...

:hocky:

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I just looked at cap friendly for a Couturier buy-out.

oooof.

Maybe Salt Lake City would take him to build their new team around.   He's great in the locker room and terrific against Malkin.

Edited by ruxpin

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I just looked at cap friendly for a Couturier buy-out.

oooof.

I think between that signing, how Atkinson has panned out, and the Gauthier pick, Chuck Fletcher is definitely the worst GM in NHL history. I never thought anyone could approach Milburys insanity, but theres a new sherriff in town and his name is STUPID!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think between that signing, how Atkinson has panned out, and the Gauthier pick, Chuck Fletcher is definitely the worst GM in NHL history. I never thought anyone could approach Milburys insanity, but theres a new sherriff in town and his name is STUPID!

The only positive Fletcher has ever done was getting Tippet & a 1st rounder for Giroux.  Otherwise.....................

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

and the Gauthier pick,

Was it known he didn't want to come to PHI when he was chosen?

If not, I don't see where that was a bad pick, just a bad result. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Sure, and the Ellis trade was great for 4 games. 

We needed a #1 defenceman and there was a potential #1 right there....so he took a winger. Who doesn't want to play for Philly.  Brilliant!

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Yeah, it wasn't a bad pick.  Seriously and with no sarcasm.

It just was't the right pick.  All along.

10 chances, I pick David Jiricek there with every single chance.   Even there, there's no particular proof that Jiricek's the right pick either.  But for where the Flyers were and the need for high level defencemen, I pick Jiricek.  Time will tell, but he's Drysdale (who I really like) without the paper mache skeletal structure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

image.png

Incompetence, indeed!

Save $2.5M in Y1, costs $1.7M in Y2.

It would not surprise me to see him on the roster next year...

:hocky:

I offer pick up half his salary for a 9th round pick good riddance...

let a kid play...it's a rebuild

:smileyandcomputer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

I only keep a handful of players. 

I'd keep Ersson and Fedotov as the goalies. I suppose you could add a third goalie to the mix, but those two should be fine. 

In terms of defense, the four I'd keep would be York, Sanheim, Drysdale and Attard.

As for the forwards, Tippett, Brink, Lyksell, Couturier and Foerster would be the group I'd build around. I know some night be shocked about Couturier, but this was a guy who hasn't played in two years and the coach ran him into the ground. If his minutes would have been limited to start the year, I didn't think he would have been in as bad of shape as he's in. Now that the first year back is pretty much done, I think we see a different Couturier next year. And the beauty thing with him is that he can be a Bergeron type as his career winds down. You can use him as a checking center who can pop 20 goals/40 points. 

Everyone else is up for sale. 

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure, and the Ellis trade was great for 4 games. 

We needed a #1 defenceman and there was a potential #1 right there....so he took a winger. Who doesn't want to play for Philly.  Brilliant!

Jiricek is already positively impacting results in Columbus, too. Big physical defenders with two-way skills trump all but the most productive wingers.

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

The only positive Fletcher has ever done was getting Tippet & a 1st rounder for Giroux.  Otherwise.....................

Think what they could have gotten if they traded him a year or two earlier.