FLYERS SIGN WEBER TO MASSIVE OFFER SHEET

Guest jkearse123

If that is the case..what a brilliant move by Homer. The dude must have ice in his veins for blood. would hate to play poker with him.... :D

Brilliant would have been putting the money into it that the Preds can't hope to match. I dont think they've done that. Suter's departure made it a lot easier in the Preds that way.

I'd say you're done with that either way. What's more I think Nashville WILL match. On top of that, I could also see Poile having a little turnabout with someone like Giroux or Couturier down the line to return the favor. I know if I were him I'd be just waiting for the chance to..

Ya, except we heard the exact same thing after the Kesler off sheet. We're still waiting for retaliation.

Here is what some Pred fans are saying on their message board:

http://fans.predators.nhl.com/community/topic/8124-weber-to-philly/page__st__20

"I can just imagine the outrage around here tomorrow when everyone else wakes up to read this. So does Poile match? I wish they would release what the structure and bonus outline is to be. I am talking to a buddy from Nashville now and we think it will be very front loaded and he doesn't think Poile can afford to match it. "

"Seriously..What do the Preds do if they won't/can't match this offer!? Won't that give them an insane amount of money to play with?

Smart/**** move by the flyers! Yahoo article mentions that Poile had a trade in the works but that the Flyers got tired of waiting and offered this...

Wonder what the trade could of been?

http://sports.yahoo....25384--nhl.html "

"Apparently according to Darren Dregger the Wings the Rangers the Sharks and the Flyes were working on a deal for Weber and they all got tired of waiting so Philly floated the offer sheet it is apparently very front loaded like 10+ a season and quite the bonus structure. Will ownership allow Poile to match a deal that pays that much up front and has a crazy bonus structure?

Holy crap Dreger says the 1st year of the contract could equal 26Mill can the Preds pay that? "

"Holmgren did us a favor by making Poile's job easier than he ever could. All we have to do is match the offer sheet and we've got our Norris finalist for the rest of his career.

It's put up or shut up time for the ownership. They said they would spend to keep the big three. They got one in the fall and got screwed over by another, and now the best player of the three has been more or less handed to them on a silver platter. If they don't take it, all of that talk has been just that. If they're not willing or not able to spend this money to keep one of the best players in the league, if not the entire world, then they either don't have the means or don't have the motivation to win the Stanley Cup, and both of those would look extremely bad on the organization.

Either they match, or I'm out. I will not sit here and listen to this club talk out both sides of its face as they let the best chance for a championship that they might have in my lifetime (and I'm a young man) slip away. I doubt I'm alone in that. "

It's a good news, as I thought Homer is losing his mind to play season with such d-roster.

Greetings:

Homer's chutzpah is well....loaded to the max. it is a remarkable offer, even if it doesn't pan out.

1) Four firsts...basically says he likes the core and will go elsewhere for need.

2) The upfront bonuses say the checks keep coming from Snider and Comcast

3) What we really seem to say is "Poile and Trotz, you are our development franchise. Build 'em good, and then we will raid you when they becoming high priced after development."

What can we say?

Best,

Howie

We like the move (hate the length of contract...) but the Flyers BETTER re-sign Girox in-season during the last year of his contract as we expect there will be truckloads of money backed up to his door if he's allowed to go RFA.

As we read it, they can still fit Voracek so this really is an addition with no subtraction.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some other moves once this all shakes out.

We are all radoran. Rad really should just start posting in first person plural.

We do.

• Like 1

How long does Nashville have to match? If Nashville matches, would the Flyers go the trade route for Weber?

Personally I would have offered 112mm and 14 years.

I want this to happen so bad.

Nashville has 7 days to match.

If they do match, they can't trade him for a year.

How long does Nashville have to match? If Nashville matches, would the Flyers go the trade route for Weber?

Personally I would have offered 112mm and 14 years.

I want this to happen so bad.

***edit*** nevermind Pilldoc answered my question in an above response. Dang iPhone..,,

I would love to have Weber, but these longterm deals are horrible. If you just look at the Flyers alone, they haevn't panned out. Richards is already gone, Pronger will never be a major factor again, and Bryz is about a 2 week span away from being a total loss (1 bad year I can cope with, anything beyond that is a big problem).

I mean Christ, can anyone think of any of these deals that actually look good? What 10+ year contract - for any team - makes you say, "Now that's a smart investment?" Even the Crosby signing looks bad because of his recent healthy problems.

The league is headed for financial trouble with stuff like this.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I'd say you're done with that either way. What's more I think Nashville WILL match. On top of that, I could also see Poile having a little turnabout with someone like Giroux or Couturier down the line to return the favor. I know if I were him I'd be just waiting for the chance to..

We heard the same kind of posturing from Vancouver when Clarke made the offer to Kesler....The thing is, most GM's don't have the large set of brass ones backed by Snider's money.

• Like 1

Why would they do this?

All the Predators have to do is match and then Weber is a Predator for life.

Is there some loop hole where the Predators can match the per year salary for a shorter period of time? I mean after last year it seemed fairly obvious that Weber wasn't interested in a super long term commitment to the Predators.

If the Predators have to match for 14 years, why wouldn't they? It's a 7 million cap hit over a longer period of time, yes, but that's what they're paying him now.

How does this do anything but Doom Weber to playing in Nashville for the rest of of his career?

I mean yeah, it keeps him off the Penguins, Rangers and Devils I guess... but otherwise it seems like a bit of a jerk move.

I also think it's a bit of a joke that in light of offers like this, the CBA is going to make everyone go through the charade of pretending that Pronger's career isn't over.

Here's the breakdown of the offer sheet in case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

So it's $56mm in first 4 years of deal

Here's the breakdown of the offer sheet in case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

So it's $56mm in first 4 years of deal

97% of value in 78% of term. I can see the NHL rejecting this.

This is also why the small market teams are working to eliminate signing bonuses in the new CBA.

wow.....just....wow. Slept in this morning and wake up to this...ha ha. I'm ok with this offer. Let's see if Nashville is a legitimate NHL franchise, cause if they fail to match, the fans will leave them in hordes. This deal could really kill this franchise. Betteman must be livid!

Well, exciting to be a Flyers-fan. At least some action, LOL! It might be out of desperation since missing out on all the UFA´s, including their own (Carle). Or he has some belief a trade could be done by forcing Poile´s hand. Poler and Homer have made lots of trades involving pretty big names. No way Poile lets Weber walk for just fours 1st round picks. If they can´t match die to finances, they will at least try to make a trade where they get much more value than just those fours 1st rounders in return. Voracek, Simmonds, Gus, Boudon, Mez will gladly be traded by Homer as part of the package if he can keep both Schenn and Couturier.

I am 99.9% sure the Pred won´t let him walk for 4 picks. They will match or make a trade with a much better return. I think Homer will gladly make a trade with virtually anybody except G, Schenn and Couts

• Like 1

Keep in mind this is all about winning 2-3 Cups in next 5 years. This is Snider's legacy. This is how rich men do it. Nothing else matters. Even the contract length and the money after the next 5 years.

snider sure as shinola doesn't care about 10 years from now. he's probably not expecting to be on this planet by then. he wants the cup one more time before he leaves this mortal coil.

• Like 2

A defenseman like Weber doesn´t come along often, I can understand the Flyers. But what if Weber has told Poile he wants out of Nashville. If he´s told them he wants out, that can be of significance too. Why throw all that cash at a player that wants to leave. I think Weber is disgruntled by the fact the Preds lost Suter for nothing. He wants to win. If this IS the case, it´s better for all parties to work out a trade and move on. Wishfull thinking on my part, I know. But there were reports that Weber was devastated by the news Suter left, and he might have told both the Flyers and Preds he wants to play elsewhere.

• Like 3

@OSR29

I'm certain that Weber wants out of NSH. He did before Suter left. Now he surely does. I agree, that it doesn't make sense to sign a guy to a 15 year contract if he doesn't want to be there. I still think they do match, but if they don't that will be why.

@OSR29

I'm certain that Weber wants out of NSH. He did before Suter left. Now he surely does. I agree, that it doesn't make sense to sign a guy to a 15 year contract if he doesn't want to be there. I still think they do match, but if they don't that will be why.

i'm not sure they do match. their hands are really tied here. homer really put the screws to poille. they almost *have* to sign him, but this deal is a high percentage of the entire franchise's worth! they very well might balk.

that one pred fan had it right.. this is D day for the preds franchise. it's do or die with this one. wow. that's all i can say.

• Like 1

Oh dear.

I say NSH matches. Good move I guess. I'm okay with it, although my first reaction was similar to @ruxpin's

The up-front money (especially with a possible lock-out looming) would probably prevent Nashville from matching.

I think he is going to be a Flyer.