Flyers with 10 to go - what's the verdict?

radoran

10 To Go  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many points do the Flyers get in the last 10 games?

• 17-19
    • 14-16
    • 10-13
    • less than 10
  2. 2. Do they make the playoffs?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. How many points do they need to make the playoffs?

• 19-20
    • 17-18
    • 15-16
    • 13-14
    • 12 or less

@ Islanders

vs. Ottawa

@ Buffalo

@ Montreal/vs. NYR (back to back)

vs. NJ

@ Carolina

vs. Boston

vs. NYI

@ Ott

If nothing else they seem to have the right people in front of them. At least half of the game against teams they need to jump over (currently 12th - 1 point behind Buffalo with game in hand): 2 Islanders, Sabres, Rangers, Devils. Ottawa's not exactly out of reach at 44 points to the Flyers' 37.

Five points out with at least a game in hand on 11, 10, 9 and 8.

Say this for them - they win and they're in.

But I gotta think they need at least 17 of 20 to get in. Without depending on the breaks.

ITS OVER JOHNNY!!!! lets lose as many as possible and get that draft pick, dont prolong the inevitable, we are not winning anything with a depleted defense. Even with our normal defense it wasnt good enough. Sacrifice this season and lets finally break a 45 year slump and draft a franchise defenseman,

• Like 2

While I cannot openly root against them we have to lose and lose big the rest of this season for our own good. The Front office needs to be humbled into making the right decisions rather then the stupid knee jerk ones that got us here in the first place.

With the major exception of Keith Allen we have been consistently horrible at making personnel decisions and talent evaluations. Before the cap we could get by by throwing money at the situation to cover a lot of ills. Now we can't and its time for management to realize that.

It is high time we built a robust team that can steamroller all comers rather than trying to figure out how to build a team to beat whomever knocked us of the playoffs last year. (How many friggin years have we done that now?)

• Like 2

Thats a brutal schedule down the stretch. I would honestly be happy if they were somehow able to manage around 15 pts in those remaining games. They dug themselves too deep of a hole out of the gate. It's really a shame this team 5 on 5 is so bad. If their 5 on 5 was half as good as special teams they would likely be in the playoffs.

• Like 1

"It is high time we built a robust team that can steamroller all comers rather than trying to figure out how to build a team to beat whomever knocked us of the playoffs last year. (How many friggin years have we done that now?)"

It's funny you say that, I have been preaching the same thing since they were bounced in 2006. It seems like they tried to emulate Buffalo after the whole lockout. Then they chased Boston. Now my biggest fear is that they will try and copy the Islanders and sign every head case goalie out there and suck for 30 years. :blink:

• Like 1

@ Islanders

vs. Ottawa

@ Buffalo

@ Montreal/vs. NYR (back to back)

vs. NJ

@ Carolina

vs. Boston

vs. NYI

@ Ott

If nothing else they seem to have the right people in front of them. At least half of the game against teams they need to jump over (currently 12th - 1 point behind Buffalo with game in hand): 2 Islanders, Sabres, Rangers, Devils. Ottawa's not exactly out of reach at 44 points to the Flyers' 37.

Five points out with at least a game in hand on 11, 10, 9 and 8.

Say this for them - they win and they're in.

But I gotta think they need at least 17 of 20 to get in. Without depending on the breaks.

I see 3 tough games out of the last 10.

I think they win 7 of those games, and maybe eke out a point or so in those tougher ones.

@Bertmega

This has been my problem with this team for probably 20 years or more.

They seem to emulate whatever team seems to be doing well rather than say "okay, this is our plan; THIS is the Flyers; THIS is the way we are going to build our organization." Some sort of internal structure from the ground up with an overarching game plan.

In the late 90s and early 2000s, they seemed to be trying to match the Devils. Then they wanted to reproduce what the Sabres did (what did they win again?). Then it seemed to be not so much emulating the Pens as trying to match their play (sounds like semantics, but go with me here).

The problem with attempting to emulate the recipe of the other team is that by the time it takes you a couple years to overhaul what you have to mirror what they have (had), the game has moved on and you're again a step behind. This is part of the reason you don't see too many dynasties any more. What works in 1998 doesn't necessarily work in 1999 or 2000 or 2001.

The problem with emulating the Sabres is that by the time they changed to look like that team, the Sabres--doing largely the same thing minus a few important pieces--sucked. So instead of a contender, we had a team that looked like the also-ran team it was built to copy.

It's frustrating because I don't think this organization, from the top down and from the bottom up, is capable of ingenuity or fresh thought. I blame it on years and years of inbreeding but it could just as well be something else (I don't know what that would be). For me, it's not about Snider-hate or even Holmgren-hate. But having said that, I don't think the direction is changed in a meaningful way until both are gone.

I see 3 tough games out of the last 10.

I think they win 7 of those games, and maybe eke out a point or so in those tougher ones.

I see 3 tough games out of the last 10 IF we were at all consistent and played to the level they're capable (an already difficult task made worse by injuries). Since the opposition in all 10 wear skates, I see 10 tough games.

• Like 1

I see no way in holy hell this team makes the playoffs, none. They will probably lose to the Rangers, the Devils, the Bruins, Canadians, and possibly both games to the Sens.

Start planning for the draft, and free agency....

Therre is no chance this Team is going to make the playoffs... mathematically, it is still possible but just look at this Team. What we have seen over the past week or so is fools gold... no way they make the playoffs. And you know what? I am fine w/ a nice draft pick!

I have to agree with rad, if they win, they are in. I see them finishing as the last team to not make the playoffs therefore diminishing their chances at Seth Jones.

Considering they likely have to win the lottery to land Jones, I've pretty much written him off. But to lose out on the 5 or so other really good talents AND miss the playoffs is sheer stupidity. I know you can't tell your team to tank. I just hope for the sake of the franchises future it doesn't get too many useless points at this stage of the season.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

You are 100% spot on with your analysis. I just remember thinking during the 06-07 season when they hired Luuko, that we were going to be the Sabres South. Lo and behold, they trade for Marty Biron (which is a move that I didn't hate, just thought it was 4 years too late, and they ink the ice princess Briere to a monster contract). We got smaller and tied up a lot of cap on what was not a complete team. They went for the $$$$$$$ band-Aid instead of building around what they had growing on the farm (Carter and Richards).

Then, it becomes apparent that the suspect defense isn't capable of stopping the Penguins. Fast forward a few months and along comes Chris Pronger. Not a bad move if it was handled properly, but to me it seemed like they saw the Bruins roster and thought how can we be more like them?

After a few years and several bad contracts we were able to rid that Sabre-esque stench off the roster and had a nice little cup run. Too bad they blew up the core and created a new blueprint.

Now we sit with several bad contracts, a coach that doesn't have the tools to compete night in and night out, an anemic defense (mind you I think it is better than the Rathje Hatcher tandem days) and a goalie that knows he is on the brink of getting bought out.

I surely hope that the next team they try to emulate has a little more self respect than the current roster.

<br />I know you can't tell your team to tank. I just hope for the sake of the franchises future it doesn't get too many useless points at this stage of the season<br />

you know, I've had a hard time understanding why mason has been in philly for three games (as of tonight), but hasn't seen icetime outside of those 20 minutes. then it hit me. no, you can't tell your team to tank, but....

• Like 1

I have a bad feeling that they will go on a bit of a run, but fall short and miss the playoffs. Then, as a result of the run, they will move out of a top 10 pick in the draft and then draft another center. If the Flyers didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all! I hoping we miss the playoffs and are able to draft Nurse!

@aziz

Per nhl.com, Mason is starting tonight. So, hope he does well and makes the Bryzgalov buy out even more inevitable, or hope he lets a bunch in and gets the Flyers closer to top 5 pick?

Hmmmmm, ideally I want a top draft pick but I also want Mason and the team to play well so I am hoping that we lose the rest of our games in a shootout! :D (actually I wouldnt mind if Bryz really found his game either, I just dont want useless points right now, I'd much rather have a top 5 draft pick!)

Hmmmmm, ideally I want a top draft pick but I also want Mason and the team to play well so I am hoping that we lose the rest of our games in a shootout! :D (actually I wouldnt mind if Bryz really found his game either, I just dont want useless points right now, I'd much rather have a top 5 draft pick!)

with this season's off-season's lottery, there's no guarantee of a top five berth just based on points. More likely, yes. Guarantee? No.

they could come in ninth and walk away with Seth Jones.

won't. could.