"Gritty"

hf101

Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Flyers new mascot ... Yay or Nay ??

• Hell Yes...its hip...think of all the $$$ the Flyers will make on the stuffed animal!
    • God No ...the thing is hideous!
    • The Flyers have a new mascot ?????

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

They really should just found a huge highway pylon which is already Flyers colors and just threw a Jersey on it and be done with it.

If they were going for scary and stupid, Roseanne Barr needs a job.

@JR Ewing

Mrs Mojo has that shot as her lock screen.

I've come around on Gritty.

Just seeing some of his interactions on twitter, and in the stands...he's pretty funny.

The googly eyes do make me laugh.

I think it comes down to the person in side the suit, if that person is good at mascotting ? then Gritty might find his way.

A thing that helped my 180 turn on him is that the Pens fans in my area hate him,  I like the metallica reference to "sleep with one eye open", bird... 

I love what broadstreet hockey is saying about him.

i have to admit, Gritty has been fun in his first 24 hours of existence.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@JR Ewing

Mrs Mojo has that shot as her lock screen.

I've come around on Gritty.

Just seeing some of his interactions on twitter, and in the stands...he's pretty funny.

The googly eyes do make me laugh.

I think it comes down to the person in side the suit, if that person is good at mascotting ? then Gritty might find his way.

A thing that helped my 180 turn on him is that the Pens fans in my area hate him,  I like the metallica reference to "sleep with one eye open", bird... 

I love what broadstreet hockey is saying about him.

i have to admit, Gritty has been fun in his first 24 hours of existence.

the lady in the glasses to Gritty's left.... her face says it all.   

Its all corporate, all the time. Clarke, Holmgren, Hextall, the Flyer brass have drank the koolaid. If you can flip these 3 guys, arguably among the most competitive athletes in my lifetime, what more proof do you need. Maybe this is the antichrist to Haxtol and Gritty will give the pregame speeches.

it's an abomination.  i still can't believe someone in marketing gave the green light on this. unless that thing runs Crosby into the boards, it will never be accepted by the fanbase.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

it's an abomination.  i still can't believe someone in marketing gave the green light on this. unless that thing runs Crosby into the boards, it will never be accepted by the fanbase.

Oh, I can. My brother hates the marketing people at his company. Nothing is ever marketing's fault. If the idea flies and it's popular, marketing will take all the credit: Our marketing made that product a success! If it's a flop, marketing will blame everyone else: It wouldn't matter what we did, it was a poor product to begin with.

Pretty sure I told this story before, but @OccamsRazor's "I can't believe people care" post made me think of it.

So, my two daughters, my wife and I were at a State College Spikes game in State College.  They are Single A.   My daughters were 11 and 7.

I got the tickets from my boss and they were literally on the home dugout, so it was kind of cool.  Kind of.

They have two mascots there (or did--this has been about 11 years now!).  One is "Spike," who is the main mascot and interacts with fans.  Being right at the dugout, the girls got to dance with Spike on the roof of the dugout and interact with him frequently.

The other mascot is called "Nookie Monster."   In dead center field, there is a "nook" in the fence where the outfield juts out slightly further than the rest of the fence.  When the Spikes hit a home run, Nookie Monster would come out of a little door in dead center and do some sort of dance or cheer or something and go back in.

So, it was late in the game and the Spikes were down with a runner or two on, and my youngest screams at the top of her lungs, "we want Nookie!  We want Nookie! We want..."   My wife and I glanced at each other instantaneously and "Noooooooooooooo!!!!"  LOL  The people around us thought it was hysterical.

In the meantime, there was what I think was a 12-14 year old boy behind us with his grandfather.  A know-it-all little twit who had running commentary on every single pitch, every single play, explaining to his grandfather (and anyone in earshot) what the player did wrong.  On both sides.  "He shouldn't have thrown a slider there (it was a curve)!  He should have thrown a curve (it was)!"  etc.

Anyway, late in the game, Spike was in the aisle to our right, maybe 8 seats down, signing autographs. So, naturally my girls wanted some illegible scribble on their program.  So off they went.  When they returned, the know-it-all twit behind us says really loudly to his apparently deaf grandfather, "Man, some people just come for the puppets!"

My 11 year old wheeled around.

"I happen to like puppets!" she roared.  "Especially hand-puppets." [while raising her middle finger and making a scooping motion with her hand].  "If you don't shut your hole, you're going to be one!"

The people around us went into convulsions.

The kid never spoke again.

Archived