Roenick on Mason, Flyers

brelic

Someone posted a link to this story in the SB. It has some interesting thoughts from Roenick.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/roenick-steve-mason-isnt-answer-cup

The one that stands out, of course, is that Roenick doesn't think Mason can win a Cup:

If they're going to win the Cup, Roenick believes they'll have to do it with a different goaltender.

"I like Steve Mason," Roenick said on Philly Sports Talk, "but I don’t think Steve Mason is the answer to winning a Stanley Cup."

"I think you need an upper echelon defenseman, I think you need an upper echelon goaltender," Roenick said. "The Flyers do not have [either].

"I think that’s something that you’re going to have to look at in terms of improving your team."

In January, the Flyers inked Mason to a three-year contract extension worth $12.3 million -- a safe investment for the club if Mason turns out not to be the answer, as Roenick predicts.

That's certainly a reasonable opinion. But then he goes on to say:

"He was a starter at one time," Roenick said. "He became a backup and has moved a couple of times, and now he’s in Philly as another starter."

Ok, so now I wonder if he even knows which Mason or which goalie he's really talking about. 

STEVE Mason has not "moved a couple of times." He's been traded once. To Philly. Two years ago.

CHRIS Mason has moved around several times. He's not even playing in the NHL anymore.

Do you guys agree with Roenick? 

@brelic

Haha yeah I just posted that in the shout box, he was traded once he doesn't even know what he is talking about. He needs to get his facts straight on this before spouting off maybe then people would take him more seriously. Till then I think he is just trying to be talked about the pot stirrer he is. Clueless.

• Like 2

@brelic

uh, no! 

I think he needs to keep his mouth shut.  He always needs to be controversial and a lot of times back tracks on his comments (like when Chi beat us for the Cup and he 'cried'), like it was his accomplishment or something.

Can't stand him, so don't think much of his opinion.

• Like 2

I totally agree with Roenick that this team is still missing the upper echelon defensemen.   I agree with Roenick that Mason is currently not an upper echelon goalie, however, I still think his game has upside and he can become elite.  Although one could make the case that with a better defense in front of him Mason could have put up elite level stats last year.   But to be fair and putting my bias aside I would say Mason is probably around the the top of the 2nd tier goalies as of right now.      

Edited by PhilsFanDrew
  • Like 3

Roenick is a loudmouth and a moron. I couldn't stand him as a player and I can't stand him even more this day and age. He was the prototypical Clarke-esque move. Over the hill and over paid to play here. He was reckless as a player and did not bring that 8.5mm salary to the ice every night. Sure his first season in Philly was great, but not 8.5mm great. 

He goes to praise Holmgren as a GM, but then basically trashes the VLC move, how exactly does that work? He is "scratching his head on the Umberger trade", yet thinks Holmgren was a great GM. Yeah Holmgren was a great GM for overpaid players like him...... In any case, he doesn't think the Flyers can win with Mason, yet they were two games from winning it all with Michael Freaking Leighton. 

The only thing he said that is right is that the Flyers are lacking a true #1 defenseman, but if memory serves me correctly Roenick likes to kill #1 defensemen, i.e, Eric Dejardins. Yeah I didn't forget that reckless hit that Mr. Hockey tried laying on Matts Sudin and instead he basically took out a #1 defender. Ok, can you tell I do not like him. \

My top 5 list of FU Flyers:

1) Roenick

2) Comrie

3) Carcillo

4) Bryzgalov

5) Fat Balloon 

• Like 1

I guess my first rebuttal question to Roenick would be one of chicken or the egg?

Does an upper echelon goalie make a Stanley Cup possible? Or is a strong team capable of making an ordinary goalie look like an upper echelon goaltender?

Is Crawford an upper echelon goaltender? Or a product of the Hawks system? 

Is Quick really as good as people believe? Or are his numbers boosted by a strong defensive LA squad?

His regular season numbers are ordinary at best outside of one stellar season. Their first Cup season. His playoff numbers from their second Cup are very pedestrian. Mason had MUCH better numbers, albeit in 5 games versus 26. 

I'm just not sold on an upper echelon goalie being a prerequisite so much as needing a strong team system that protects their goalie. You need a strong goaltender, to be sure. But you don't need an elite one - IMHO ;)

But I've won 0 Cups. At least Roenick and I have that in common. POW!

• Like 3

JR is a brain injured ignoramus.

He should...stop talking.

Honestly, as a person in the media business, I have no idea why anyone would hire him as an analyst.  I can see it with Milbury even though I dislike him too, he was a coach & GM and has a reason for his opinions.  

There is no "there" there with JR, he wasn't a smart player, he was talented, but so were a lot of guys, he brings nothing in his role as "analyst" except for perhaps a good quip every 3 broadcasts....Jonesy is 1000x better than JR... and yet JR is covered like he is some sort of "wise sage" .  God is it slow...

that will be the last time I read anything about him.

what a douche.

• Like 1

Obviously, JR did not watch many Flyers games this season. He was THE reason they even made the playoffs this season. How many games this year did Mason make 35 saves and the Flyers won them? Quite a few. BTW, which year did JR win a Stanley Cup? He was a great player, but man does he love to hear himself talk.  If the Flyers had any kind of mobility and speed on their d, then he could talk about the fact that Mason might not be good enough.  Outside of Ed Belfour, who the hell was on any of his teams that was better than Mason?

• Like 1

@murraycraven

"JR is a good PR guy for the league" Wait the same JR that said for certain fans to kiss his @$$? And that they are jealous of his success, and to not watch or attend games in the future. All this for fans showing their displeasure with the 2004-05 lockout.

Or the same guy that was under strong investigation for gambling? Or the one that cried for not being selected for the 06' Olympic squad? Or the same one that refused to show up to a game when he found out he was scratched? Instead he decided to go to a restaurant and get wasted and trash his coach and teammates.....

JR is a PR nightmare. I'd rather have Kenny Powers as the leagues spokesperson..... 

Edited by Bertmega

Roenick is an idiot.  But when he said moved a couple of times, maybe he meant from starter to backup and back and forth?  I find it hard to believe he felt Mason had been traded a few times.  Even he's not that stupid.  

I am sure Roenick was saying Bryz was a high end goalie and would win us a cup some day lol. Boy is he wrong about Mason I think Mason is already and will prove it this year to be a top 5 goalie in the league. Hes still insanley young for a goalie. We finally have a legit goalie since Hextall and now Roenick has something bad to say about our netminding fcking great timing!

Someone posted a link to this story in the SB. It has some interesting thoughts from Roenick.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/roenick-steve-mason-isnt-answer-cup

The one that stands out, of course, is that Roenick doesn't think Mason can win a Cup:

That's certainly a reasonable opinion. But then he goes on to say:

Ok, so now I wonder if he even knows which Mason or which goalie he's really talking about. 

STEVE Mason has not "moved a couple of times." He's been traded once. To Philly. Two years ago.

CHRIS Mason has moved around several times. He's not even playing in the NHL anymore.

This whole interview with Roenick, he was outdoors with landscapers in the background adding all sorts of noise to the broadcast...very possible Jeremy didn't know who he was talking about.

Does Roenick even agree with Roenick?

It's hard to say whether one agrees with Roenick when one isn't sure he even knows what the hell he's basing his opinion on.  He surely doesn't.

I swear I saw this before.   Did he say this AGAIN or is this from about a half year ago?

Obviously, JR did not watch many Flyers games this season. He was THE reason they even made the playoffs this season. How many games this year did Mason make 35 saves and the Flyers won them? Quite a few. BTW, which year did JR win a Stanley Cup? He was a great player, but man does he love to hear himself talk.  If the Flyers had any kind of mobility and speed on their d, then he could talk about the fact that Mason might not be good enough.  Outside of Ed Belfour, who the hell was on any of his teams that was better than Mason?

This.

• Like 1

I am sure Roenick was saying Bryz was a high end goalie and would win us a cup some day lol. Boy is he wrong about Mason I think Mason is already and will prove it this year to be a top 5 goalie in the league. Hes still insanley young for a goalie. We finally have a legit goalie since Hextall and now Roenick has something bad to say about our netminding fcking great timing!

I'll agree Roenick is a moron. But Mason is top 5 in the league? Wow.. That's quite a stretch there.

• Like 1

I would say he is getting there, especially if he repeats the season he has last year.

A 2.5 GAA and a .917 Save% is top five? I think Mason is right there with Fluery in the ballpark of average NHL goalie. Nowhere near top five though.

• Like 2