Dave Hakstol: new HC

RJ8812

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As like all of you I'm shocked, impressed and intrigued.  I've always enjoyed the rivalry between ND and UofM and kudos to Hextall for going in that direction.  Vandevelde also was coached by Hakstol.  Geez what a tongue twister eh, Hextall and Hakstol, I'm sure we will see some media personnel twist that up. lol.

Hakstol likely will also bring to the Flyers a lot of info on area ND, MN, and Wis high school players available for the draft.  And that I'd surely like to see.

I had a feeling this was the direction Hexy wanted to go, not that I knew this this guy but I figured we'd not be going with an experienced ($) coach. And it makes perfect sense.

I also take this a sign that Mr Snider and Homer and Clarke stayed low profile in the decision, which is a very encouraging sign

Have to say I am surprised.  I think it is fair to say not many people saw this coming.  I was hoping to see someone with more pedigree, although his record at Univeristy of North Dakota does seem imrpessive.  What does this all mean on the NHL level?

We will find out soon, I guess.

Yes i give Hexy props for even keeping it a secret even wow there was zero rumors on this.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3588012-und-mens-hockey-meet-dave-hakstol

Reading through the piece now, but this stuck out at me right away:

Hakstol has now been head coach at UND for a decade. Fans know him for his stoic, straight-forward personality, his intense presence and his team’s knack for playing its best hockey at the end of the year.

Those closest to him know the other sides — the small-town farm kid with an engaging sense of humor, a passion for his family, a deep concern for his players and a relentless drive to keep the UND men’s hockey program a national power.

I put this in the shoutbox, but figured I'd add it here as well.

(11:10 AM) comment_edit.pngWell, it sounds like this was in the works for a while, even better job by Hexy of keeping it quiet. Brad E. Schlossman ‏@SchlossmanGF 6m6 minutes ago Herald source: Brad Berry to be named head coach at UND at 1 p.m. today.

I'm actually happy it was Hakstol and not Dineen.

I have absolutely nothing objective or even coherent to explain that, but I was lukewarm to the idea of Dineen at best.

I know nothing about Hakstol other than what I've read today but am actually somewhat pleased with the out of the box approach.

The comparison to Kelly was (not) funny. Okay, a little funny. I'll refrain.

I have absolutely nothing objective or even coherent to explain that, but I was lukewarm to the idea of Dineen at best.

Nightmares of Bill Dineen and the thought of another "Flyers Retread" most likely...

Nightmares of Bill Dineen and the thought of another "Flyers Retread" most likely...

I think that's it. Like I said, not objective. But yeah, I think that's it.

Greetings:

I said last week that this hire was about expectations--a big name would amp them up short-term, a lesser-name connoted development. I think this confirms what we know about this team--it will be 2-3 years before they are elite.  How well this guy can morph from college to big league is an unanswered question.  But the thought here counts, and this guy's track record with current NHLers says something positive.  I guess we can refer to Hextall-Hakstoll as "H-squared."

Peace,

Howie

With Hextall going in this direction maybe my son's Bantam coach has a chance to be named a Flyers Assistant Coach!

May 18,2015: The Day A Fresh Perspective officially arrived in Philadelphia.

Greetings:

I said last week that this hire was about expectations--a big name would amp them up short-term, a lesser-name connoted development. I think this confirms what we know about this team--it will be 2-3 years before they are elite.  How well this guy can morph from college to big league is an unanswered question.  But the thought here counts, and this guy's track record with current NHLers says something positive.  I guess we can refer to Hextall-Hakstoll as "H-squared."

Peace,

Howie

Howie, that's a good take. While Hakstol has a good track record as a coach, his hiring is less likely to amp up the "here and now" expectations than a Babcock or a McClellan would have.

It doesn't bother me that I've never heard of the guy. I've heard of UND and their elite program.

It goes without saying that how he will adapt to the NHL and it's millionaire players is an unanswered question.

But most of us wanted a new focus on drafting and developing from within. This choice means that they are committed to that. We should be rejoicing.

Howie, that's a good take. While Hakstol has a good track record as a coach, his hiring is less likely to amp up the "here and now" expectations than a Babcock or a McClellan would have.

AJ:

Good to hear from you. This is a blessing from the developmental perspective.  Hextall won't feel forced into lousy trades or high-priced free agents (not that we have the cap space).  I have to think the players will be happy with a fresh face to grow with.  Bringing in a retread may have quietly ticked them off as much as us. 

Now we go onto the draft.....

Howie

regardless of not knowing who it is. I'm intrigued to see how he does. I'm glad it's not a country club move

I'd assume that he's at least a good X's and O's guy which is the first step.

I think it'd be nice to see about how the hell they found him and if anyone else had had their eye on him.

I'd have thought maybe trying him out in the AHL might not have been a bad stepping stone. He's younger than most. Career coach it seems too. I don't know. I'm happy that it's an out of the blue WTF is that? Kind of guy. Much rather that than Tocchet or someone from the club.

Still, who the hell knows anything about this guy and what they based their decision on.

I hope it was his strategy and system and plan for utilizing the youth and the skills of G and Jake more apprpriately and not just that he's made the frozen four a few times.

50/50 chance any future expletives directed at the GM or coach can be misconstrued as being directed at the coach or GM.  "Did he say f---ing Hextall or f---ing Hakstol?"  Gives Hextall immediate 50% plausible denial it was him.

Archived