You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

AJgoal

David Ayres becomes first emergency backup goalie to record a win in NHL history.

Hope the leafs miss the playoffs by one point he cab move in with Steve Bartman

• Like 1

This is so cool!  The Canes are selling shirts with Ayers name and number 90.  They are giving royalties to Ayers and donating a percentage to a kidney foundation in his name.  The Canes are flying him down to Raleigh for the game on Tuesday and he will crank the siren before the game.  I'm sure he'll get a standing ovation.

• Like 2

Congrats to David Ayres. A nice accomplishment. To be thrown into fire, so to speak, had to be very difficult. The latest rumor has the Flyers offering Elliott and a 2nd for him.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Congrats to David Ayres. A nice accomplishment. To be thrown into fire, so to speak, had to be very difficult. The latest rumor has the Flyers offering Elliott and a 2nd for him.

He's a free agent.  Flyers would have to dump some salary before they sign him to a $9mm/yr for 10 yrs!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

He's a free agent.  Flyers would have to dump some salary before they sign him to a $9mm/yr for 10 yrs!

This is ground control to Ilya Bryzgalov........only that was 100 mil. Are they still paying the cosmonaut?

Edited by FD19372

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, crap...that kind of pep talk never helped Lehtonen or Niemi back in Dallas a few years ago... :bigteeth:

So, both of those guys were making millions of dollars and expected to stop pucks...

• Like 1

This Zamboni goalie win is such positive news. Everyone smiles about it. Players, fans, organisations, news everywhere around the world. Top news as far away as here in Finland. No one's negative about it. Except some Leafs players' comments. They too should take this jab with a positive attitude. In the sense that years from now they would be able to laugh about it: "yeah, we were so lost at that time that we even lost to our own Zamboni driver. That was the low point of the team. Thanks to the road shown by him, the team was eventually able to achieve its dream".

• Like 1

This is the coolest thing ever!!!

How totally awesome to have all your dreams come true at 42!!

We should all be this lucky!

Great for him and the Hurricanes organization!

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

This is the coolest thing ever!!!

How totally awesome to have all your dreams come true at 42!!

We should all be this lucky!

Great for him and the Hurricanes organization!

Agree.
And great for the Leafs' organization as well!

It was, after all, THEIR minor league Zamboni driver that took center stage, beat them, and put Toronto in the history books!

Win-win-win for everyone!! :shifty:

Simply perfect, having this happen to the Leafs! Heartwarming!

14 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

This is so cool!  The Canes are selling shirts with Ayers name and number 90.  They are giving royalties to Ayers and donating a percentage to a kidney foundation in his name.  The Canes are flying him down to Raleigh for the game on Tuesday and he will crank the siren before the game.  I'm sure he'll get a standing ovation.

Good show by the 'Canes! LOVE the kidney foundation idea, and I'm sure David Ayers does too with his history.

Great ideas!

And the thing I love about hockey is that these things are genuine for the most part. These are heartfelt ideas, not just marketing opportunities. In other sports, it would be just marketing.

In Detroit, for example, my aunt used to work as a nurse in the hospital where there athletes would come visit the sick kids. For the other 3 sports, it was obvious that the players were there because they HAD to be. The hospital staff LOVED when the Wings players would come, because the players WANTED to be there and see the kids.

Hockey's different. This is just another great example of how.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

This Zamboni goalie win is such positive news. Everyone smiles about it. Players, fans, organisations, news everywhere around the world. Top news as far away as here in Finland. No one's negative about it. Except some Leafs players' comments. They too should take this jab with a positive attitude. In the sense that years from now they would be able to laugh about it: "yeah, we were so lost at that time that we even lost to our own Zamboni driver. That was the low point of the team. Thanks to the road shown by him, the team was eventually able to achieve its dream".

All kidding aside, do you think the Leafs organization could have a younger emergency backup goalie available to their team and the visiting team, someone who has played professional hockey or has played at the university level recently. I guess Leaf fans will see what kind of heart and pride their players have after being embarrassed by a 42 year old goalie who had played senior hockey 5 years ago and he drives zamboni. As Jammer2 puts it, couldn't happen to a better organization than the Leafs. But it was funny seeing the hi-lites of the Leafs losing to a 42 year old emergency backup goalie.

21 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

All kidding aside, do you think the Leafs organization could have a younger emergency backup goalie available to their team and the visiting team, someone who has played professional hockey or has played at the university level recently. I guess Leaf fans will see what kind of heart and pride their players have after being embarrassed by a 42 year old goalie who had played senior hockey 5 years ago and he drives zamboni. As Jammer2 puts it, couldn't happen to a better organization than the Leafs. But it was funny seeing the hi-lites of the Leafs losing to a 42 year old emergency backup goalie.

In fact I think the Leafs' EBUG should be born in 1967, as that's the last year they won the Cup. That would have a serious symbolic value, reminding them of what it takes to win the Cup.

2 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

Good show by the 'Canes! LOVE the kidney foundation idea, and I'm sure David Ayers does too with his history.

Great ideas!

And the thing I love about hockey is that these things are genuine for the most part. These are heartfelt ideas, not just marketing opportunities. In other sports, it would be just marketing.

In Detroit, for example, my aunt used to work as a nurse in the hospital where there athletes would come visit the sick kids. For the other 3 sports, it was obvious that the players were there because they HAD to be. The hospital staff LOVED when the Wings players would come, because the players WANTED to be there and see the kids.

Hockey's different. This is just another great example of how.

I've met my share of hockey players over the years....totally agree, hockey players are different. I would say the vast majority are really cool to talk to and hang out with.  There will always be outliers....but yeah. Hockey players are different!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

In fact I think the Leafs' EBUG should be born in 1967, as that's the last year they won the Cup. That would have a serious symbolic value, reminding them of what it takes to win the Cup.

Lol, well if that's the case then I'd qualify to be EBUG for the Leafs since I was born in 1967! Unfortunately for Leafs fans and team they'll be a punch line for jokes going forward.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, lynxrattle said:

I mentioned this in another post already but imagine if Ayres came in as the emergency backup goalie for the LEAFS and did the exact same thing that night. Hanging in there to get the win over Carolina. Imagine the crowd response then. 

This story would have been perfect........ IF Ayres had come in and played for the Leafs. Since the opposite occurred, this will now be another one of those dark, forgotten moments in Leafs history. This is right up there with Kessel being selected last on the all-star team, or Doug Gilmour blowing out his knee on his first shift back with the Leafs in 2004. These moments don't get remembered or celebrated in Toronto. This story will now get buried. 

6 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This story will now get buried. 

No it won't. :bigteeth:

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No it won't. :bigteeth:

What were we talking about again?  ☺️ 🌈 🌞 🌴

A quote from Finnish news from today 😁

"The brouhaha over the Zamboni goalie will dampen down... but the story of David Ayres will never be forgotten."

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

So according to Jeff Marek, this isn't the first time an emergency goalie won. 

In 1957, Jacques Plante suffered an asthma attack when on the road - in Toronto. Len Broderick, the Leafs' house goalie, was pushed into action, as teams only traveled with one goalie. Montreal spotted him a 4-goal lead and ended up winning 6-2.

Hidden Content

Edited by AJgoal
  • Uggh... 1

Leafs backup winning the Leafs, 1957, 2020,

It's deja-vu...

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

I'm not pretending that it takes a lot to do, but this aggrevates me. 

Hidden Content

No, the NHL does not have an EBUG problem

The National Hockey League is really good at fixing problems that neither need fixing nor are problems in the first place.

"Problems" such as 

Hidden Content

. Spin-o-ramas in the shootout. How players should or should not tuck in their jerseys. The conference playoff format. And now, if we're to believe its presumed prioritization at the next general managers meeting, the latest pox upon our great sport: 

Hidden Content

(EBUGs) and have the temerity to beat the 

Hidden Content

at home on "Hockey Night in Canada."

THE NHL IS THE DUMBEST ORGANIZATION KNOWN TO MAN. 

Way to take a feel good story and piss all over it, idiots. 

Stop pissing and moaning about a complete non-issue and fix the ridiculous Department of Player Safety and the recovering head trauma patients they dress up in black and white stripes. 

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1