Tortorella interviewed for Flyers coach

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Risto's *** is not the body part mainly in need of intervention in my opinion. Go up, about 3 feet, and you will find the body part that is the problem.

It's Risto.   HIs *** is where the foot has to go to get to the body part you're referencing -- that is also inserted there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's Risto.   HIs *** is where the foot has to go to get to the body part you're referencing -- that is also inserted there.

I stand humbly corrected.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The problem with Risto is the price they paid, a first, second and Hagg, he was an UFA and they simply had to sign him long term or what they gave up would have looked even more ridiculous than it already was. So essentially they made two bad decisions, one giving up way more than he was worth and then to avoid losing him signing him long term. I like him a bit more than a lotta you guys but he is, at best a second pairing/second power play guy. Used right in that role he has some value but not nearly enough to justify what they paid for him and not nearly enough to justify what they are now going to pay him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

The problem with Risto is the price they paid, a first, second and Hagg, he was an UFA and they simply had to sign him long term or what they gave up would have looked even more ridiculous than it already was. So essentially they made two bad decisions, one giving up way more than he was worth and then to avoid losing him signing him long term. I like him a bit more than a lotta you guys but he is, at best a second pairing/second power play guy. Used right in that role he has some value but not nearly enough to justify what they paid for him and not nearly enough to justify what they are now going to pay him.

No, especially not when the Flyers, at the very same time, paid the Coyotes to take Gostisbehere off their hands.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I know all the armchair GMs on the internet have been "not in" on Ristolainen, but I've read in more than one place that he would have received a similar deal had he hit the open market. 

So maybe should he be moved, it's a hockey trade, or the Flyers receive value. 

The internet seems to be the main place where Ristolainen is viewed as bumbling ****-wad.

We all have eyes and see the screw ups. Many dismiss the times where he makes a good play because confirmation bias...

All this to say hockey people don't view him the same way we do.

The idea that should he want traded or the team wants to trade him, he will cost the Flyers is a popular Flyers twitter and internet forum idea not necessarily reality.

I'm sorry mojo, but I have no idea what you're watching when it comes to Ristolainen. I hated the trade from day 1, because he stunk in Buffalo. He continued to stink in Philly, and if anything, got even worse. If he was on the 3rd pairing making $2 million a year, I'd still think he stunk. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

52 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm sorry mojo, but I have no idea what you're watching when it comes to Ristolainen. I hated the trade from day 1, because he stunk in Buffalo. He continued to stink in Philly, and if anything, got even worse. If he was on the 3rd pairing making $2 million a year, I'd still think he stunk. 

Did you see the part where I said we all see the screw ups ?

I would include myself in the we as that is correct pronoun to use.

The guy isn't ruining everything every minute he's on the ice. He just isn't.

Is he worth the price paid and his contract ? No, and I've said as much. 

I also wrote that I've read these things, from people who think Ristolanen is not a good player.

Now that that is out of the way.

If he doesn't work out and is traded I don't think the Flyers lose their ass in that deal.

I think this because I've read some things from a guy that I think knows the game pretty well has said so. And I've also listened to Shill Meltzer® @BobbyClarkeFan16 on the Jason Myrtetus podcast.

Looking at the whole of the Ristolainen experience I don't see where it becomes a win, unless some things about his play really change, and everyone is certain that cannot happen.

Perhaps everyone is right.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If he doesn't work out and is traded I don't think the Flyers lose their ass in that deal.

What are you talking about?

At $2M fine, he's movable.  At $5.4M and 5 years, he isn't going anywhere without a couple picks accompanying him.  Not one.  A couple.

You know what the crazy thing about this is? Tortorella might work here and help get veterans out that don't want to be there. He might just force the rebuild that so needs to be done. I'm not advocating for him, but he might be just nuts enough to stand up to this schizophrenic management and advisor group and get through to him. Just how dysfunctional is that?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

@SCFlyguy

Ah, there is that certainty. 

You could be right. 

You may be wrong. 

I reckon we'll find out, especially if all the certainty surrounding his impending and complete failure comes to fruition. 

I'm hoping some good coaching and a culture of accountability can help him improve. 

Prefer Trotz but would be okay with Torts.

In both cases I see a final hard core motivating approach that'll either work, and if it doesn't then it's definitely proof of the need for a full and total tear down and rebuild all new. 

Still think it'll be Tochet though. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ristolainen really does feel like the type of defenseman that only a super deep team can hide amongst their ranks on a bottom pair somewhere where his 'warts' won't show too much.
Of course, that's NOT what you want out of a 5M+ type player...simply stating that he can be useful, but it would take a team that has pretty much everything covered already and just want a bowling ball out there once in a while to cause some havoc.

Unfortunately, Philadelphia isn't that team.

An example of what I am talking about, we can go to a trade between your Flyers and my Lightning...Gudas for Coburn.
On the Flyers, and previously with the Jets/Thrashers, Coburn was badly exposed.... on the Lightning because the Bolts have a very deep defensive core, they were able to "hide" him, give him simple, fool proof assignments, and he did well.........until cap issues forced the team to lose players, and Coburn's faults started to show again, and then the team was forced to move him.

Put Risto on a team that wouldn't be harmed too much by his cement headedness, give him basic assignments, DON'T expect him to cover top six Ferrari players, and he could do much better.
But again, the Flyers aren't that team and at this stage for them, they can't afford to 'hide him'.
He does more harm than good to them right now because he is forced to play a bigger role on the team.

If a team shows interest and offers even a decent prospect or a middling type pick for him, I'd take that deal and run giggling off into the night.

A new coach coming in would probably welcome new faces anyways, as opposed to the same ones who may have been part of the problem to begin with.

And to finish, all this said about Risto, and a coach like Trotz or Torts could come in...and Risto COULD fall right in line and surprise the crap out of everyone.
I could be wrong but both those coaches in the past, have taken raw knuckledraggers on defense and turned them into at least serviceable blueliners...provided the defenseman is open to a different approach.

Trotz  in his first year took the Isles from the worst defense to the top defense, so if we get him, this will be a big test for Risto. If he doesn't improve in a big way, then it's safe to say he never will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Trotz  in his first year took the Isles from the worst defense to the top defense, so if we get him, this will be a big test for Risto. If he doesn't improve in a big way, then it's safe to say he never will.

that is a very fair assessment .....

• Like 2

And we're back, to the coach carousel. Interesting remarks from Scott Burnside on The Daily Faceoff. Of the six coach openings,  Flyers are ranked -wait for it- sixth. Last in talent, last in prospect pool, and I will add, last in hockey ops ability to fix any of it.  Whoever the next coach is, it will be a plan B gor the lucky winner.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 6:25 AM, mojo1917 said:

it could be maybe that Fonzi has the key to helping Risto to become the player people envision

an AHLer?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

And we're back, to the coach carousel. Interesting remarks from Scott Burnside on The Daily Faceoff. Of the six coach openings,  Flyers are ranked -wait for it- sixth. Last in talent, last in prospect pool, and I will add, last in hockey ops ability to fix any of it.  Whoever the next coach is, it will be a plan B gor the lucky winner.

Unless.....wait for it....there is a "blank check"

Not to be confused with a blank Chuck. One has unlimited value. the other is totally worthless. Apparently the Flyers will have both involved in the coach hiring

I'm torn here, Tortorella would definitely light a fire under this team and tear the coasters a new one.

He is not a long term solution.

Personally I would rather see Trotz here. But let's be honest, nothing will change as long as Fletcher is GM.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Fizz said:

I'm torn here, Tortorella would definitely light a fire under this team and tear the coasters a new one.

He is not a long term solution.

Personally I would rather see Trotz here. But let's be honest, nothing will change as long as Fletcher is GM.

Would you go for Trotz as GM, and Torts as HC?
That'd be double the arses kicked to change the culture.

Oh wait...Holmgren would still be skulking about...nevermind. :shifty: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26