Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Fowler takes Laughton...Zegras is with Risto until they hit the blueline, then he just quits. And lets Ristolainen score his only goal of the season. 

Zegras is great at Michigans and razzle dazzle. He's not great at hockey.

He’s great in practice 

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and say Zegras would be a great fit and that he could be taught to play passable defense.

We're forgetting that this is a guy who's playing in a black hole called Anaheim. All the habits and play that he has acquired has been coached to him. Those is yet ANOTHER player that Dallas Eakins couldn't develop, yet Zegras has two 60 point seasons under his belt.

I watched Dallas Eakins coach well over 100 games, heard his thoughts on hockey, and can say without hesitation that he cares about defense; that he prioritizes it. When he was coaching in Edmonton, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle had no dedication in game or practice, and acted like defense was a cardinal sin, and they never stopped getting ice time, but that was interference from ownership. Inside, Eakins was seething, as were teammates. Anybody who spoke out in public about it was traded instantly.

Most days during the season, I watch two hockey games per day: one eastern and one western. This works nicely since I live on the west coast... So, I watch plenty of Ducks games and Greg Cronin wants them to cover the bet defensively and then produce, to the extent that he benched Zegras earlier this year.

The other players on the Ducks bust their ass to backtrack and check, but Zegras doesn't. I don't think that's coaching.

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We forget that these guys play the way that they've been coached. I think Zegras going to an environment where there's a definite structure in place would do him a world of good. Tortorella could definitely identify what needs to be fixed and could get it done. This is a coach who has turned Rasmus Ristolainen into a somewhat decent defenseman. And don't forget that Zegras has two friends here, so we know that his peers would be all over him if he dogs it. 

Maybe Tortorella could put the fear of God in Zegras. It's possible. Either way, it's not coaching which has made Risto something approaching adequate, but that he finally has a coach who sees him for what he is: a bottom-pairing defenseman and deploys him as such.

• Like 2

I hope the Flyers get Zegras, but the price is almost certainly going to be steep. A prospect, a 1st round pick and Laughton? I don't know. Maybe we can find a way to get Pat Verbeek drunk enough to take Atkinson and Laughton, and not give up that high a pick. 🍺

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think a change of scenery would be good for him and I think he'd thrive under Tortorella. But that's just me.

You could be right.

We'll see.

48 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

that he finally has a coach who sees him for what he is: a bottom-pairing defenseman and deploys him as such.

Well, he's *titularly* on the top pair, but he gets no power play time AND no PK time.

🤔

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and say Zegras would be a great fit and that he could be taught to play passable defense.

We're forgetting that this is a guy who's playing in a black hole called Anaheim. All the habits and play that he has acquired has been coached to him. Those is yet ANOTHER player that Dallas Eakins couldn't develop, yet Zegras has two 60 point seasons under his belt.

We forget that these guys play the way that they've been coached. I think Zegras going to an environment where there's a definite structure in place would do him a world of good. Tortorella could definitely identify what needs to be fixed and could get it done. This is a coach who has turned Rasmus Ristolainen into a somewhat decent defenseman. And don't forget that Zegras has two friends here, so we know that his peers would be all over him if he dogs it. 

Fair.

Still don't want him.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Why would you want to sell the farm (again, Anaheim isn't giving him away)

You think there would be some middle ground in there...

...but thats just me being rational.

Carry on don't mind me.

:PopcornSmiley2:

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You think there would be some middle ground in there...

...but thats just me being rational.

Carry on don't mind me.

:PopcornSmiley2:

For what do YOU deal the young, under contract for two more years, RFA at expiration, 60+ point scorer, who is loved by his linemates, and a bright spot on a team that just drafted a potential #1 to his #2?

But that's just me being rational. Don't mind me.

image.gif

36 minutes ago, radoran said:

For what do YOU deal the young, under contract for two more years, RFA at expiration, 60+ point scorer, who is loved by his linemates, and a bright spot on a team that just drafted a potential #1 to his #2?

But that's just me being rational. Don't mind me.

image.gif

You tell us ol wise one.

None of it matter till the savior arrives...

GFx7yJjXwAAro7T.thumb.jpg.fb9ed90033610a72c0c6fa0a7878018a.jpg

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You tell us ol wise one.

Is this really Bryz’s son?

Edited by pilldoc

From Yardbarker

Here’s another interesting note: Ilya Bryzgalov is getting paid $1.642 million by the Flyers through 2026-27. Vladislav will turn 21 before the end of that season. If Vladislav manages to play for the Flyers that year, he will have gotten paid less to play for the Flyers than his father is getting paid to not play for the Flyers.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You tell us ol wise one.

Another guy we butted heads over that I wanted nothing to do with (his father, not him). Along with Hayes.  Risto. Drafting Michkov. 

But hey, that's just me being rational.  🤔

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Reason #1 not to do this.

Exactly. Of course it's possible @BobbyClarkeFan16 is right - it could work out, good friends all pulling in the same direction - but it could also turn into another "Center City Crew" or whatever they called themselves...Lupul, Upshall, Carter and Richards...

I think Carter is the only one who made a career for himself following those days.

28 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Exactly. Of course it's possible @BobbyClarkeFan16 is right - it could work out, good friends all pulling in the same direction - but it could also turn into another "Center City Crew" or whatever they called themselves...Lupul, Upshall, Carter and Richards...

I think Carter is the only one who made a career for himself following those days.

Here's the way that I look at it. From what we know, Drysdale, York and Zegras are model citizens and have never been in trouble anywhere they've been.

They'd also be around solid citizens like Farabee, Couturier, and Atkinson. Add in Nic Deslauriers, Ryan Poehling and Garnet Hathaway and you're looking at three more guys in there who wouldn't put up with minimal effort and garbage.

To me, and once again this is just my take on things, this is the perfect environment to push Zegras and get the most out of him. And right now, I don't think he's being pushed the way he should be pushed. We all know he's got talent, no doubt. He's got hands, he can skate really well and from all accounts, seems like a real good guy (Ryan Strome spoke glowingly of him).

I honestly wonder if players getting stuck in a constant state of rebuilding takes a toll mentally. As a player, most have competitive drive and want to win and when you see the losses piling up year after year after year and there's no end in sight to it, that has to take a toll. Doesn't make one mentally weak, but it would certainly become exhausting. Maybe Zegras is at that point. 

I'm also wondering if Anaheim's lack of good veterans has also played a role because I see a lot of young players really struggling in Anaheim and it's like there's no one there to rally the troops. I don't know. But to simply be that talented and to have a disconnect there, there's something else going on. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Not so fast! Im pretty sure Precious Scottie Upshall broke a world record for Guitar Hero.....or was that a 13 year old boy? 🤔

Anyway, all the teenage girls thought he was dreamy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Here's the way that I look at it. From what we know, Drysdale, York and Zegras are model citizens and have never been in trouble anywhere they've been.

They'd also be around solid citizens like Farabee, Couturier, and Atkinson. Add in Nic Deslauriers, Ryan Poehling and Garnet Hathaway and you're looking at three more guys in there who wouldn't put up with minimal effort and garbage.

To me, and once again this is just my take on things, this is the perfect environment to push Zegras and get the most out of him. And right now, I don't think he's being pushed the way he should be pushed. We all know he's got talent, no doubt. He's got hands, he can skate really well and from all accounts, seems like a real good guy (Ryan Strome spoke glowingly of him).

I honestly wonder if players getting stuck in a constant state of rebuilding takes a toll mentally. As a player, most have competitive drive and want to win and when you see the losses piling up year after year after year and there's no end in sight to it, that has to take a toll. Doesn't make one mentally weak, but it would certainly become exhausting. Maybe Zegras is at that point. 

I'm also wondering if Anaheim's lack of good veterans has also played a role because I see a lot of young players really struggling in Anaheim and it's like there's no one there to rally the troops. I don't know. But to simply be that talented and to have a disconnect there, there's something else going on. 

Carter, Richards and the Center City Crew were all legit too, at the start. As soon as the Flyers got a hold of them and elevated Richards to captain, shidt spiraled. Its a common thing with Philly franchises. They coddle young superstars, give them the key to the city, then watch them drown in pool of their own popularity

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

For whatever it's worth, I think this is a spot on take.