Parise and Suter bought out

Brewin Flames

12 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

I'm just at a loss for words. I never expected this to happen. I mean I saw it being a possibility with Parise after this season but never expected both at the same time. But I am glad to be rid of the country club. 

Read where it clears up 10.3 million in cap space 

• Like 2

End of an Error.

No seriously, both could play for me still and when they sign with someone for a much smaller cap hit Parise on a third line, Suter on a third pair/2nd power play will be valuable to someone. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised they bought out Suter. Not surprised with Parise. 

Suter isn't a superstar anymore but he is still serviceable top 4.

Winnipeg should be offering him something for 3 years

Edit. By the sounds of it, together in the locker room they were a problem? Any insight on this?

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 1

Wow. Both were signed at the same time (July 4th ,2012) and both were buying out at the same time (July 13,2021) as well. Never thought that it will be happened this way.  Very brave decision made by Guerin. I am kind of impressed already to listen these breaking news.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Wow. Both were signed at the same time (July 4th ,2012) and both were buying out at the same time (July 13,2021) as well. Never thought that it will be happened this way.  Very brave decision made by Guerin. I am kind of impressed already to listen these breaking news.

I know imagine if they only had 8 year contract limits back then as someone here said and well they would have been up or in their last years of their contracts....

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Winnipeg should be offering him something for 3 years

This could make sense. The Jets' D is hideous and Winnipeg is not that far from his little Wisconsin comfort.

48 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Suter on a third pair/2nd power play will be valuable to someone

I join the club. On a second PP unit but only if he's paired with another mobile D-man.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Edit. By the sounds of it, together in the locker room they were a problem? Any insight on this?

Forgive him, Father....for he knows not what can of conspiracy worms he opens.... :ph34r:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Our Wild forum friends continually speak of the "country club". 

I have always thought it was those two dudes.  And they had tiki huts and Mai-tais in their corner of the lockerroom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know imagine if they only had 8 year contract limits back then as someone here said and well they would have been up or in their last years of their contracts....

If only there were a way to stop owners from handing out stupid contracts that anyone can see aren't going to work out so the owners don't then have to buy the players out then force a lockout because contracts are getting out of hand.

• Like 4

Hot damn! I'm off to the liquor store to get a bottle of fine champagne to celebrate! I didn't expect BG to pull the trigger on both of 'em at the same time. With advance apologies to LiG, that was a BiG ballsy move by Guerin. I like it, though: the cap hits are a bummer, but at least we get enough cap space for Kap, and removed some serious clubhouse cancer at the same time. 

I'm having a much easier time being optimistic about the Wild's chances going forward. Heck, if the Kraken take Dumba off our hands, optimism could give way to downright excitement. GO WILD!!! 

636959585_notworthy.gif.99838873400e6cde3ec5581d0ea9006d.gif 

Bill Guerin

Edited by McMahon 6
adding GIF for Guerin
  • Like 4

I would think Suter would still have value as a bottom four defender for a team.

For instance, I could see him taking on a role with the Chicago Blackhawks, who just moved out Duncan Keith and have a need for a solid seasoned vet on the blue line.
Since Suter will still be getting quite a bit of coin from the Wild, he could sign for a very low AAV with the Hawks, not be that far away from his Minnesota home (hell, he'll be in the same division still), and play out his remaining useful years (probably 2 or 3 tops?) as a vet defender with them while Chicago figures out a long term blue line core.

Keith and Suter are actually similar players, with Keith being a bit more defensive oriented, while Suter leans a bit more towards the offense with more shots taken and less turnovers than Keith.
A guy like Suter shouldn't have too much trouble assimilating himself into Chicago's attack scheme with all that speed they still have up front.

As for Minnesota, yea, they will be carrying around the cap ghosts of both Suter and Parise for quite some time....worst of which will be the following 4 seasons' cap hits for each  (2.3M x2, 6.3M x2, 7.3M x2, 7.3M x2....holy damn!).
After that it becomes much more palatable at just 833K for each of them.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

We're celebrating up here today! lol I think they can still give another team value at a much, much cheaper contract and reduced role but I am very glad they're no longer on the Wild. Those cap hits might hurt in the future unless the cap rises a bit but this helps us ice a competitive team. 

I'm wondering if they were asked to waive the ntc/nmc for expansion but said no to try to force BG's hand out of anger at last season's situation. Either way.. good on BG for making those moves and allowing us to protect the younger guys. I'm hoping the cap rises enough that the hit isn't going to kill the Wild on that back end.

I keep getting messages on social media from people mad about ZP leaving saying he would have carried us through the playoffs but not realizing he came in fresh legged off of a big rest just to look dead legged again after game and a half.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Since Suter will still be getting quite a bit of coin from the Wild

Both of them "only" have $10M left on the books from the Wild - $833,333 a year for the next eight years from the buyout. Quite a bit of coin for thee and mee, but perhaps not so much from the perspective of a guy "making" $7.5M coming off a season which paid him $8M.

The contracts were heavily front loaded and designed at the time to be bought out on or around this point ($2M, $1M, $1M in the last three years). IIRC, this was just before the "cap recapture" penalty matrix was applied (retroactively) so the cap hit would not have been as onerous prior to the "cap recapture" rule.

There were a lot of these sorts of shenanigans going around with the owners trying to circumvent the cap that they absolutely, positively, had to cancel a season and a half of hockey to have. I mean, it's only fiscally responsible, right?

My feeling is that they will both be looking to take any "discount" with a competitive team who can get them "their" Cup(s). It would not surprise me at all if that "discount" also adds up over the next four years to more then the $10M they had left on the books for the Wild.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

Both of them "only" have $10M left on the books from the Wild - $833,333 a year for the next eight years from the buyout. Quite a bit of coin for thee and mee, but perhaps not so much from the perspective of a guy "making" $7.5M coming off a season which paid him $8M.

The contracts were heavily front loaded and designed at the time to be bought out on or around this point ($2M, $1M, $1M in the last three years). IIRC, this was just before the "cap recapture" penalty matrix was applied (retroactively) so the cap hit would not have been as onerous prior to the "cap recapture" rule.

There were a lot of these sorts of shenanigans going around with the owners trying to circumvent the cap that they absolutely, positively, had to cancel a season and a half of hockey to have. I mean, it's only fiscally responsible, right?

My feeling is that they will both be looking to take any "discount" with a competitive team who can get them "their" Cup(s). It would not surprise me at all if that "discount" also adds up over the next four years to more then the $10M they had left on the books for the Wild.

Hmmm....good points.
I was looking at things from strictly the cap hit standpoint.

So those first four years of cap hit are significantly larger than the actual salary to both Suter and Parise.....wow.

I was thinking Suter would play for, say someone like Chicago, for around 1M or so, but seeing as how he will "only" be getting a mere 833K (wink, wink), he likely wouldn't take a salary that low.....although I still feel that a guy like Suter even at 3M or so would be a good deal for someone.

Parise, not so sure. I think his skillset and contribution factor has dropped faster than Suter's.
Neither are obviously the players they used to be, but seems like Parise has less of a place on an NHL team (unless he pulls a Jason Spezza and FULLY embraces a bottom six role at around 10-12 TOI) than Suter does.

32 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So those first four years of cap hit are significantly larger than the actual salary to both Suter and Parise.....wow.

That's the "cap recapture" - because the team has always paid them more than their cap hit, they are penalized in the short term with a higher cap hit on a buyout.

This was also signed just before the eight-year limit on length to avoid these sorts of long term shenanigans.

They "save" cap space each year, but just $250K in Y3-4. I'm guessing the Wild are hoping the cap starts going up again to make it not sting as much.

Edited by radoran

I keep hearing how Suter was still playing at a "high level".

I'm not sure I totaly agree with that. His speed and lateral movement are gone.

He can no longer handle a two on one break away and anyone with any speed at all will skate right around him.

My guess they were both asked to waive the NMC and both declined, and both were told to expect a reduced role and neither liked it.

• Like 1